iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Sep 19, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #1,786 of 2,988
The Wife just highlighted to me that my ears don’t even support low res. Still waiting for me to put out the Garbage.
Apparently ‘as we age’, men lose higher registers (of vocal range) acuity, whilst women lose the lower zone... (natures way of ensuring long and happy partnerships no doubt)

or perhaps our intuitive trust for our reproductive other goes beyond words...

Bins still there...

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #1,787 of 2,988
I am thinking of buying the Diablo but have questions about firmware. What are the limitations of using the firmware that is operating when purchased? What are the available newer firmware options and what additional features do they offer? Thank you for your help.

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #1,788 of 2,988
I am thinking of buying the Diablo but have questions about firmware. What are the limitations of using the firmware that is operating when purchased? What are the available newer firmware options and what additional features do they offer? Thank you for your help.
I got my Diablo on friday night, and I have not even thought about anything firmware related, Just been enjoying the Diablo for music.

When you say "limitations" perhaps a clarification, I have Used Roon, Tidal App, Spotify App, Amazon HD Music, Apple music, Qobuz Desktop/IOS app, Audirvana, and also DSD from My Zen Stream with Zero issues so far. So you would have to be more clear on Limitations.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 20, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #1,789 of 2,988
I’d agree with what @Mr BubbaHyde said.. just ’happy using it’ (initially). The sound difference 100+ hours of break in (burn in) will bring to the amp is worth more than the time/+effort to play with firmwares..

Whats involved isn’t much -if you use the Diablo you’ve already likely installed Drivers from the iFi webpage, and that is nearly half the work load.

What you could get:
two things primarily;
Console USB support (doesn’t seem to be your interest),
GTO firmware (vs the vanilla NOS flavour).

So basically you have two sound profiles to choose from, out of box variant, and an alternate ’roll’, GTO

GTO only works on the USB input, as does MQA
GTO doesn’t work on DSD streams/MQA, nor the Toslink input

GTO is brilliant for taking lowly Audio CD streams and giving them the finesse of the higher res formats, that if involved in a very tight chain with a system synergy than hits transparency, will bring very nice audible improvements to the sound.
Much of its voodoo might require an aspect of ear training to appreciate, and really performs like the kit is tiers above where it really is..
The difference can also be noticed rooms away from the hifi system - today I experienced guitars on Moby and Franti that sounded properly lifelike/realisitic. Nine Inch Nails -into the void CD single had my heart properly racing from an experienctial trip (like it should).
GTO seems to get the time domain of music ‘right’ and hence everything can be ‘very lifelike’.

The Diablo sans GTO is still a brilliant piece of kit. definitely the king of the budget pile for DAC conversion if clinical precision / neutrality is the intent. It‘s a science tool!
With GTO; it is a value prospect towards a killer value ‘budget fi’ system killer system. (said to be a tongue twister and highlight key words)

GTO might reveal weaknesses of upstream being able to pass 0s and 1s quick enough (a few have started getting subtle ‘clicks/pops’ after trialing the GTO firmware.
It takes a minute to change between firmware versions, once done previously.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #1,790 of 2,988
I called iFi UK and they explained it is not necessary for most listening.

the problem is it is difficult to get a simple short answer on the benefits and differences.

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #1,791 of 2,988
I’d agree with what @Mr BubbaHyde said.. just ’happy using it’ (initially). The sound difference 100+ hours of break in (burn in) will bring to the amp is worth more than the time/+effort to play with firmwares..

Whats involved isn’t much -if you use the Diablo you’ve already likely installed Drivers from the iFi webpage, and that is nearly half the work load.

What you could get:
two things primarily;

So basically you have two sound profiles to choose from, out of box variant, and an alternate ’roll’, GTO

GTO is brilliant for taking lowly Audio CD streams and giving them the finesse of the higher res formats, that if involved in a very tight chain with a system synergy than hits transparency, will bring very nice audible improvements to the sound.
Much of its voodoo might require an aspect of ear training to appreciate, and really performs like the kit is tiers above where it really is..
The difference can also be noticed rooms away from the hifi system - today I experienced guitars on Moby and Franti that sounded properly lifelike/realisitic. Nine Inch Nails -into the void CD single had my heart properly racing from an experienctial trip (like it should).
GTO seems to get the time domain of music ‘right’ and hence everything can be ‘very lifelike’.

The Diablo sans GTO is still a brilliant piece of kit. definitely the king of the budget pile for DAC conversion if clinical precision / neutrality is the intent. It‘s a science tool!
With GTO; it is a value prospect towards a killer value ‘budget fi’ system killer system. (said to be a tongue twister and highlight key words)

GTO might reveal weaknesses of upstream being able to pass 0s and 1s quick enough (a few have started getting subtle ‘clicks/pops’ after trialing the GTO firmware.
“Whats involved isn’t much -if you use the Diablo you’ve already likely installed Drivers from the iFi webpage, and that is nearly half the work load.”

i think most owners have not done this unless they bump into this discussion.

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #1,793 of 2,988

What you could get:
two things primarily;

Thank you. I use the Chord M Scaler in my home setup and if the GTO has a similar effect on CD quality music that is a real plus.

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #1,794 of 2,988
Thank you. I use the Chord M Scaler in my home setup and if the GTO has a similar effect on CD quality music that is a real plus.

Thank you! Glad you are loving GTO.

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,795 of 2,988
Sep 20, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,796 of 2,988
Sep 21, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #1,798 of 2,988
I just ordered Diablo. Might arrive tomorrow. Been saving up for it for 6 weeks. Finally.

Thanks! Looking forward to your feedback.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #1,799 of 2,988
I have been shifting the Diablo thru its paces the last couple days and I have to say this is one fantastic machine! Yesterday I was evaluating it with the Zen Stream, and also using its Spdif input. It is an awesome paring with the Zen Stream, full bodied sound with a pitch black background to me! But the biggest surprise to me came when I decided to run my Audiolab CD transport thru it. Wow, Just Wow! I was fully impressed with what the Diablo brought to the Table in this Pairing.

I have always preferred the transport directly connected to my Schiit Bifrost using coaxial, so I was not expecting to be so blown away by the Diablo, but man was I wrong. Using Spdif into the Diablo and the balanced output to my desktop KEF q150's the solid punch and sweet top end of the Diablo came shining thru!! I will have to sit down now and give this CD transport listening more weight, but Initially I am thoroughly thrilled with the Diablo in all aspects!!

Zen Diablo.jpg

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #1,800 of 2,988
Managed to get about 10 minutes listening time today. Diablo arrived this morning, but “THE WIFE” don’t know i purchased it yet, hence listening in secret. Hopefully break it to her this evening after i treat her to a favourite meal and will strategically put on a Movie she likes.

one thing I noticed. I think there is a bug in Apple iOS 15 on my iPadPro (USB-C).
If i turn on Airplane mode Apple Music stops playing after a few seconds. Which obviously stops audio into Diablo via Apple Camera Kit connection (USB-C version, not lighting).
Perhaps some one else can test this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back