iFi audio iCAN Phantom - Vanish into the music!
May 26, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #31 of 290
Not lethal lol, worst that would happen is burn up your diaphragms but even that would be very hard to pull off I imagine as we’re only talking 60v over spec worst case… People have put way way more into STAX messing around experimenting… There’s basically no current behind a properly setup bias system also.
What, you never put on your STAX straight out of the shower with wet hair?!

:floatsmile:

May 26, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #32 of 290
Pretty interesting sound at the show.
I might arrange a review.
IMG_20230518_152644.jpg

May 26, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #34 of 290
Pretty interesting sound at the show.
I might arrange a review.
IMG_20230518_152644.jpg
Ugh. Now that I look at it in a stack, it does look ugmo. Are the faceplate brushings/polishing different textures? Also, the gold rim on the dac display versus the regular silver on the Phantom looks out of place... not that it matters I guess.

Looking forward to hearing your sound impressions and thanks for sharing.

May 26, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #37 of 290
May 26, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #38 of 290
Card thing is there because of marketing not safety reasons.
There is no reason why you couldn't do bias change in menu settings with double confirmation/longer press of the button or some combination of the buttons so the accidentals missclicks are denied.

Now imagine, losing one of the cards... :sweat_smile:

we're lucky they don't sell separately for 100 bucks a pop ^^

May 26, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #39 of 290
Can you really not use tube stage with estats?
If so, that's a huge dealbreaker, why have 2 output stages if you can't use half of the product?
Can someone please confirm this 100% ?

Also the SD Cards are a huge fault point, SD Cards can easily die out of the blue and then you're SOL until you get a replacement card.
It has a display. Why not just a simple knob with double/triple confirmation? Wouldn't be enough?

Plug in estat, display questions you which voltage do you want to use? > select > ok > turning on
Repeat plugging would be: Last voltage selected 580V, are you sure you want to select? OK - Re-select
This is just an idea from a brainstorming session that wasn't scrutinized enough to NOT pass product design stage. It's a cool gimmick but this product isn't designed to last ages (like OLED display :slight_frown:)

May 26, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #42 of 290
@iFi audio on your web page there is a following paragraph:

"The iCAN Phantom sports two input stages – one valve/tube-based, the other solid state – enabling the user to switch between the two in real time."

How do you define real time? Does it mean one can switch input stages and the sound is delivered without any interruption during the switch or it works just like in Pro iCan when you have to wait for the circurity to switch and during this time sound stops playing?

With iFis special relationship to the color black, how come that half of the unit is black.

Personally I consider it a bad choice, because now it looks always out of place, no matter how the rest of ones gear looks.
Sure as an all in one device it's aimed at people that don't have anything yet, but even as standalone it looks weird.
@ThanatosVI and you still need a dac since this is an amp only... so it is hardly all in one device. But it is ugly enought to keep away children from fiddling with it and changing settings... oh, wait, no it does not work that way since part of the usual settings are now stored on sd card for unknown reason :wink:

May 26, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #43 of 290
@ThanatosVI and you still need a dac since this is an amp only... so it is hardly all in one device. But it is ugly enought to keep away children from fiddling with it and changing settings... oh, wait, no it does not work that way since part of the usual settings are now stored on sd card for unknown reason :wink:
Yeah I misinterpreted when they were naming network functionality.
I thought about streaming Services and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back