iFi audio GO blu - Super small. Super light. Super Sound.
May 4, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #1,246 of 1,588
Sure, but as far as I know there is no wireless AirPlay dac/amp. I wish there was. Portable AirPlay to wired headphones would be a fantastic feature… but Apple wants you to buy THEIR headphones.
As far as dedicated DAC/amps, no, they don't exist. However, AirPlay speaker systems (which require a DAC/amp) do exist. So it definitely can be done; it's just a standard that needs to be met. This is not a cash grab thing by Apple, anyone is free to do it if they wish. There is a major downside to AirPlay though, there's like a distinct 2-ish second lag when using it for lossless audio.

May 4, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #1,247 of 1,588
As far as dedicated DAC/amps, no, they don't exist. However, AirPlay speaker systems (which require a DAC/amp) do exist. So it definitely can be done; it's just a standard that needs to be met. This is not a cash grab thing by Apple, anyone is free to do it if they wish. There is a major downside to AirPlay though, there's like a distinct 2-ish second lag when using it for lossless audio.

I wonder though. If it’s just a matter of MFi certification that begs the question: what’s preventing companies from making an AirPlay 2 set of phones?

May 4, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #1,248 of 1,588
I wonder though. If it’s just a matter of MFi certification that begs the question: what’s preventing companies from making an AirPlay 2 set of phones?
Profitability. Who would want a pair? A 2 second delay is quite annoying, plus all the R&D required to do it. It would be a very niche product for a very niche market.

May 4, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #1,250 of 1,588
AirPlay 2 can synch up the video/audio. I suppose there’s still a delay with control commands?
It's the delay in the controls. The 2-ish second delay when you press the play/pause button, or go to the next track, etc. It's not even worth trying to scrub through a track with AirPlay, it just doesn't work well. Essentially, for headphones, BT is the better setup for that since the delay is barely perceivable (especially when playing music).

May 4, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #1,251 of 1,588
It's the delay in the controls. The 2-ish second delay when you press the play/pause button, or go to the next track, etc. It's not even worth trying to scrub through a track with AirPlay, it just doesn't work well. Essentially, for headphones, BT is the better setup for that since the delay is barely perceivable (especially when playing music).

Well, that’s a shame. Good info though. Thanks!

May 6, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #1,252 of 1,588
And for me, it's the third Go Blu with the same annoying hiss. Maybe I am more sensitive to it than you are ...
I never have any hiss with the Qudelix 5K or even the WM1A set as BT receiver.
I have this hiss with the Centrance M8V2 and the iFi Go Blu...
I don't really understand why with the iFi 4.4mm attenuator there is no hiss with the Go Blu though I push the amp to get the same volume level... but the hiss is totally absent with it, which is fine for me.
The attenuator made the sound really dark, even the volume is turned up. The hiss is an issue there is no doubt. You are just honest instead of sensitive. There are more powerful systems playing sound without hiss, so I don’t believe the one who try to fool people around with the
Two things for you all to keep in mind:
  1. Hiss is not a problem in relation to the GO Blu, more in relation to the sensitivity of what your IEMs are set at. Some are very sensitive, others are not. The more sensitive an IEM, the more likely it will hiss on any powerful source. The Go Blu was intended to be a middle ground power-wise between using IEMs and full-sized headphones. It's intended to be able to do a wide variety of both no matter the scenario!
  2. We created IEMatch to solve this issue with very sensitive IEMs. Add on IEMatch, and the hiss will go away!
Hope that helps, and gives you some insight!
what do you mean by “The more sensitive an IEM, the more likely it will hiss on any powerful source”? I don’t find any hiss on any of my desktop setup at all, you think those are not powerful than the go blu?

May 6, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #1,253 of 1,588
Last year, I bought 2 of them (returned twice to amazon because of the hiss issue) and after 4 months, I bought again a new one after when I noticed iFi was selling an iFi iEMatch 4.4mm Balanced Male to Female Headphone Jack in-Ear-Monitor Audio Amplifier/Optimizer/Attenuator !!!!!!

All the 3 x iFi Blu Go I bought had a clear/disturbing amp hiss with my Beyerdynamic Xelento, Sennheiser IE900 and Vision Ears EXT... This amp hiss can be really annoying at a low volume level (when I am in my bed listening to some music before sleeping). I upgraded the former one to 3.05 firmware and the last one this week to 3.09 without solving the hiss issue.

I received this adaptor this morning, and by "magic" the amp hiss of the Go Blu totally disappeared !!! Of course, now I have to push the volume level a bit more to compensate the loss of sensitivity, but this time with no hiss at all.
So, I imagine, only the battery life should be impacted... Till now, I could get more than 15 hours playing time with the Xelento at a low volume level, I imagine it will fall down to more or less 10 hours.
But as the iFi go Blu has still a more impressive sound quality than my Qudelix and probably still a better battery playing time (Qudelix is limited to 5/6 hours at same volume level), I would say the only issue is that the iFi go blu + clip case + 4.4mm adapter sticked with a thin double side tape, is a bit more bulky than it should be.. but still comfortable when it's clipped somewhere on my shirt.
20220503_152718NW6666.jpg20220503_152836NW666.jpg

Some update, with the iFi IEmatch 4.4mm attenuator set to -12Db .. No hiss anymore, and I lost more or less 20% battery playing time of the Go Blu with the Beyerdynamic Xelento (it's a rather sensitive IEM)..
So, basically, I don't need to worry for a full day using this combo without needing to recharge the Go Blu at all.

As I can't catch any hiss at all with this, I would say, the only issue left is that the combo is a bit too bulky now, but usable.

Glad to hear IEMatch provided a solution for the both of you! Thanks!.
So, I just tested my go blu and paired it with my Apple TV non-4K. Just the one before 4K, with tvOS 15.4.1.

It worked perfectly pairing it up and easy to do. Just make sure there’s no other devices connect to the Go Blu.

Also, the controls work on the go Blu with the Apple TV, volume control, pause, play. It’s actually pretty neat.

I hope that helps. It should have no problems with the Apple TV 4K.

Give one a try.

Interesting feedback here - appreciate you sharing this usage scenario. Glad to know it works with Apple TV!

"what do you mean by “The more sensitive an IEM, the more likely it will hiss on any powerful source”?

I am speaking from my general experience, and what I am saying is what I mean.

I have experience hiss on a wide variety of desktop sources through sensitive IEMs, and IEMatch has solved all those issues even before my time being a member for the team here.

Hope that clarifies. Thanks!

May 6, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #1,254 of 1,588
Glad to hear IEMatch provided a solution for the both of you! Thanks!.

Interesting feedback here - appreciate you sharing this usage scenario. Glad to know it works with Apple TV!

I am speaking from my general experience, and what I am saying is what I mean.

I have experience hiss on a wide variety of desktop sources through sensitive IEMs, and IEMatch has solved all those issues even before my time being a member for the team here.

Hope that clarifies. Thanks!
Well, “a wide variety” sounds fair enough comparing to “ANY”, which only makes people think ifi is reluctant to improve on a know issue. I bought 2 IEmatches several years ago, they can eliminate hiss but sacrifices sound quality. I hope you are making great product instead playing words tricks. Thanks

May 10, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #1,256 of 1,588
Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,258 of 1,588
It is the total output on balanced. SE is at 165mW.

?!?!?!
I always assumed power ratings were per channel like any other audio device. When did this change? I'm confused.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #1,259 of 1,588
?!?!?!
I always assumed power ratings were per channel like any other audio device. When did this change? I'm confused.
I think unless it's clearly indicated "per channel", it's definitely the total of both channel.
For all portable matters, I think it's more often not indicated "per channel" so you always have to divide the power indicated by 2 ...

May 10, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,260 of 1,588
I think unless it's clearly indicated "per channel", it's definitely the total of both channel.
For all portable matters, I think it's more often not indicated "per channel" so you always have to divide the power indicated by 2 ...

I thought all of this "adding channels together" nonsense was resolved years ago... In fact, I still remember when the standards changed (1970s I think)...

I see that Sony still rates per channel. I had no idea that others didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back