iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
May 24, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #106 of 1,190
Wow this is an expensive dongle! There is some very serious competition with stunning sound at lesser pricing - like the Cayin RU6.

I was hoping to see an adjustable parametric eq one of these days in a dongle.. still can't believe the only one to provide it is Qudelix 5K

May 24, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #108 of 1,190
Can they run 250ohms headphones like the beyerdynamics? I bought them with my Clear and Ananda in mind. But also think of the dt 990
Hope so. I have asked in this thread for outputpower in 250/300ohm.

May 24, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #111 of 1,190
Can they run 250ohms headphones like the beyerdynamics? I bought them with my Clear and Ananda in mind. But also think of the dt 990
The review said this drived hd800s to ear bleeding level and still with a lot headroom left.

I'm curious how it works with low impedance planar magnetic headphones like Arya or Diana phi

May 24, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #112 of 1,190
The review said this drived hd800s to ear bleeding level and still with a lot headroom left.

I'm curious how it works with low impedance planar magnetic headphones like Arya or Diana phi

It's a new trend for retailers to post reviews ahead of the actual reviews :D

But yeah, Go Bar spec is massive, I'm sure it won't have any problems driving many demanding cans :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #113 of 1,190
I am pleased to report that my Go-bar arrived earlier today and that I have had time to put it thru its paces to make certain all functions work as advertised. In no particular order, I can submit some comments and observations that may be of value to those considering purchasing.

First, I am certain most will want to know how it sounds! I have only had time so far to pair it with my Rai Penta (my daily driver) but I can say without doubt that it sounds really fine in all respects, easily to my ears the equal of my desktop components and surprisingly, better than my mid-fi DAPs.
The bass boost is quite subtle and adds just a pinch of added emphasis to the lower octave. Just the right amount, IMHO. The X-Space works really well, and seems to function more as a well-implemented crossfeed rather than a soundstage expander. I will likely use it most all the time as turning it off just seems to make the music sound less realistic.

I tried all 4 digital filters but could hear little, if any, difference. I just left it in the BP mode. All settings are saved between uses so no need to fiddle with adjustments prior to use.

Below are size comparisons between 5 of my dongles from Left to Right:
Earmen Sparrow, Questyle M12, Hidizs S9 Pro, iFi Go-bar, Cayin RU6

IMG_20220524_110254874~2.jpg

All 3 sockets provide a tight and secure grip on their respective cable so an accidental disconnect seems unlikely.

I did notice the unit being mildly warm after use but considerably less so than my Hidiz S9 Pro. I haven't yet observed a major hit on my phone battery.

The included case is a very nice touch as it takes little space andê holds both Go Bar and its cable. The Instruction card is printed on heavy stock and should hold up well. As the functions are quite intuitive, I suspect the instructions will not be needed much one becomes familiar with the unit.

I see this replacing my RU6 for daily use simply due to the many additional features and options. Sound wise, with no optional enhancements, I would be hard-pressed to pick one over the other as the SQ of both are superb!

So far, my only minor nits are that the printing on the back is very hard to read. Black on dark grey makes reading a challenge. Also, it is hard to tell the difference between the green MQA light and the cyan BP filter light.

Overall: WELL DONE, iFi

EDIT: I have added the Go-bar to the list of comparative power draw measurements I posted on page 37 of the Cayin RU6 thread.
List is as follows, from highest to least battery drain. Setup is as posted on the above thread.

Hidizs S9 Pro: 140 MA, .68 W
IFi Go-bar: 140 MA, .66 W
RU6 2-R2: 120MA, .59 W
EarMen Sparrow: 90MA, .44 W
Questyle M12: 90MA, .44 W
Periodic Rhodium: 20MA, .10 W

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #114 of 1,190
But yeah, Go Bar spec is massive, I'm sure it won't have any problems driving many demanding cans :)

Yep, a powerful DAP/amp dongle was our goal indeed :wink:

I am pleased to report that my Go-bar arrived earlier today and that I have had time to put it thru its paces to make certain all functions work as advertised. In no particular order, I can submit some comments and observations that may be of value to those considering purchasing.

First, I am certain most will want to know how it sounds! I have only had time so far to pair it with my Rai Penta (my daily driver) but I can say without doubt that it sounds really fine in all respects, easily to my ears the equal of my desktop components and surprisingly, better than my mid-fi DAPs.
The bass boost is quite subtle and adds just a pinch of added emphasis to the lower octave. Just the right amount, IMHO. The X-Space works really well, and seems to function more as a well-implemented crossfeed rather than a soundstage expander. I will likely use it most all the time as turning it off just seems to make the music sound less realistic.

I tried all 5 digital filters but could hear little, if any, difference. I just left it in the BP mode. All settings are saved between uses so no need to fiddle with adjustments prior to use.

All 3 sockets provide a tight and secure grip on their respective cable so an accidental disconnect seems unlikely.

I did notice the unit being mildly warm after use but considerably less so than my Hidiz S9 Pro. I haven't yet observed a major hit on my phone battery.

The included case is a very nice touch as it takes little space andê holds both Go Bar and its cable. The Instruction card is printed on heavy stock and should hold up well. As the functions are quite intuitive, I suspect the instructions will not be needed much one becomes familiar with the unit.

I see this replacing my RU6 for daily use simply due to the many additional features and options. Sound wise, with no optional enhancements, I would be hard-pressed to pick one over the other as the SQ of both are superb!

So far, my only minor nits are that the printing on the back is very hard to read. Black on dark grey makes reading a challenge. Also, it is hard to tell the difference between the green MQA light and the cyan BP filter light.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and point taken about printing. It is a bit on the dark side but won't fade in time. Thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 24, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #115 of 1,190

I tried all 5 digital filters but could hear little, if any, difference. I just left it in the BP mode. All settings are saved between uses so no need to fiddle with adjustments prior to use.

thx for the impressions 🤘
it would be fantastic if you could also compare to Questyle M15 😎 thx

May 24, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #116 of 1,190
I don't own the M15, only the M12. Perhaps someone else can chime in with that comparison.

May 24, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #117 of 1,190
Same! Would love to see a comparison between this and the Questyle M15. Only stand out difference is the iFi DAC has volume controls and various filters and truly decodes MQA while the M15 renders MQA. I don't think this would affect sound much though. Also very curios how the Gold version sounds (if there is a difference).

Physically it'll be heavier because of the 18k gold plating and copper plate. Another interesting detail I noticed is the Gold version's text is recessed for legibility because it doesn't have the printing like the normal ones does. Nice attention to detail iFi :thumbsup:

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #118 of 1,190
For some additional comparative info please refer to post 113 above.

May 26, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #119 of 1,190
Attention all GO bar owners! Remember to update your device once you receive it. We’re constantly improving and aiming to better your experience, so to max out your GO bar please head over to our website here: https://ifi-audio.com/download-hub/

Thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back