iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Jun 3, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #166 of 1,190
Which Cirrus DAC chip model is being used?

Probably either CS43198 or CS43131. Cirrus Logic, like everyone else in the chips manufacturing industry, is facing production issue and therefore is focusing most of their production capability onto just a handful of the most demanded chips, especially CS43131.

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #167 of 1,190
Probably either CS43198 or CS43131. Cirrus Logic, like everyone else in the chips manufacturing industry, is facing production issue and therefore is focusing most of their production capability onto just a handful of the most demanded chips, especially CS43131.

Either of those have better specs than Burr Brown DSD1793

But hoping @iFi audio can confirm

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #168 of 1,190
In the same vein, could you please provide a similar comment re: Go Bar vs Gryphon, sound quality-wise?
I have just start reviewing the go bar and I have not heard the gryphon (although I expect a hybrid between xcan and xdsd) but this seems initially to me to be a different flavour of the usual ifi sound signature i know. (Both burr brown and sabre implementations). It complements them rather than replace them.

The usb bit timing though is typical ifi implementation, it is just superb as always.

I love dongles and usb for music so I would always prefer a dongle, but for listening LDAC from the tv (firestik 4k max) to my open headphones (58x, 6xx and 4xx) I would obviously go with Gryphon. The sound is amazing even in movies, jet engines sound superb through my xcan.

So maybe buy both...haha...

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #169 of 1,190
I have just start reviewing the go bar and I have not heard the gryphon (although I expect a hybrid between xcan and xdsd) but this seems initially to me to be a different flavour of the usual ifi sound signature i know. (Both burr brown and sabre implementations). It complements them rather than replace them.

The usb bit timing though is typical ifi implementation, it is just superb as always.

I love dongles and usb for music so I would always prefer a dongle, but for listening LDAC from the tv (firestik 4k max) to my open headphones (58x, 6xx and 4xx) I would obviously go with Gryphon. The sound is amazing even in movies, jet engines sound superb through my xcan.

So maybe buy both...haha...
Thank you.
What I am interested in however is Gryphon (USB input) vs. Go Bar, for music as you noted (strictly from the sound quality perspective).
Perhaps @iFi audio could comment.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #170 of 1,190
Thank you.
What I am interested in however is Gryphon (USB input) vs. Go Bar, for music as you noted (strictly from the sound quality perspective).
OK understood. This means that you are OK with the footprint of gryphon for usb mode.

Personally, I am listening music through my phone (have no desktop setup) so for me is much more convenient the dongle for usb connection. I would never consider gryphon for that except for testing purposes.

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #171 of 1,190
I have also the same issue. Cannot play with my iPhone with the original apple adapter. Is any trick that I am missing for this issue ?

Also for android is any app to avoid android usb limitations or you use UAPP?

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #172 of 1,190
using cayin n8ii as usb output, go bar gold has left and right channels swapped when setting the cayin music app and uapp dsd native. no problem if set to dop

this happens both old and new firmware

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #173 of 1,190
No problems here with iphone Adapter, also iPad, all runs smoothly after firmware update. I could also use HQPlayer (via NAA) with this thing. For me GoBar ia a nobrainer. This thing works, is convenient beyond measure and sounds good. I use a Focal clear mg with this thing. Clear works well with iphone alone, but with gobar i have more headroom with power while Soundclarity, Punch and silence is outstanding with the GoBar. Best of all i can use the iphone or ipad to adjust the volume instead needing to fallback to the device. xbass and xspace is very subtle and very welcome in this regard. I only use xspace here and there because focal clear is bassheavy enough. No Batterydrain with Gobar either. So i use gGoBar all the time with my Focal clear mg now. Compared to a RME ADI-2 FS i simply can not hear any meaningfull difference (OK, RME has even more Power and Bells and whistles). I tried all sorts of files from MP3 via 16/44 up to and including DSD 64/128, DSD 256 hasn't worked for me, it downsmples to DSD128 in Roon, don't know why. Have to investigate. What's not to like? Color, Leds and description of the LEDs are nearly impossible to read and should be on the other side of the GoBar. It gets only mildly warm. Provided Adapters work great, Haven't used the balanced output and don't need the turbo boost, but it's good that it is there for IEMs. To be honest, with all the Dacs i used over the years, Audioengine Dragonfly's, Chord mojo and whatnot, this is what i will use day in day out from now on. Have a Sennheiser IE600 on order, so hope that i can use this even more on the go. Highly recommended!

Jun 5, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #175 of 1,190
Either of those have better specs than Burr Brown DSD1793

But hoping @iFi audio can confirm

Specs are of course important, but so are ways how specific DAC chips can be used :wink:

using cayin n8ii as usb output, go bar gold has left and right channels swapped when setting the cayin music app and uapp dsd native. no problem if set to dop

this happens both old and new firmware

That's interesting, thanks for letting us know and we'll check whether DSD playback is OK on our end. In the meantime, is there a way you could check whether your GO bar connected to a laptop/PC still has reversed channels during DSD playback? Thanks!

No problems here with iphone Adapter, also iPad, all runs smoothly after firmware update. I could also use HQPlayer (via NAA) with this thing. For me GoBar ia a nobrainer. This thing works, is convenient beyond measure and sounds good. I use a Focal clear mg with this thing. Clear works well with iphone alone, but with gobar i have more headroom with power while Soundclarity, Punch and silence is outstanding with the GoBar. Best of all i can use the iphone or ipad to adjust the volume instead needing to fallback to the device. xbass and xspace is very subtle and very welcome in this regard. I only use xspace here and there because focal clear is bassheavy enough. No Batterydrain with Gobar either. So i use gGoBar all the time with my Focal clear mg now. Compared to a RME ADI-2 FS i simply can not hear any meaningfull difference (OK, RME has even more Power and Bells and whistles). I tried all sorts of files from MP3 via 16/44 up to and including DSD 64/128, DSD 256 hasn't worked for me, it downsmples to DSD128 in Roon, don't know why. Have to investigate. What's not to like? Color, Leds and description of the LEDs are nearly impossible to read and should be on the other side of the GoBar. It gets only mildly warm. Provided Adapters work great, Haven't used the balanced output and don't need the turbo boost, but it's good that it is there for IEMs. To be honest, with all the Dacs i used over the years, Audioengine Dragonfly's, Chord mojo and whatnot, this is what i will use day in day out from now on. Have a Sennheiser IE600 on order, so hope that i can use this even more on the go. Highly recommended!
Thanks a lot and enjoy :beerchug:

As a pricier product xDSD Gryphon is a step above GO bar, but these aren't comparable products considering their different utilities. Hope this helps, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 6, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #178 of 1,190
@iFi audio are there plans to have the Go Bar updatable via Mac and if so how long will this take to happen? As I understand it is only updatable via PC (which I don't have access to). If Mac will not be supported I'll have to cancel my pre-order 😢

Jun 6, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #179 of 1,190
@iFi audio are there plans to have the Go Bar updatable via Mac and if so how long will this take to happen? As I understand it is only updatable via PC (which I don't have access to). If Mac will not be supported I'll have to cancel my pre-order 😢
yeah, updating is a must. I hat to use parallels virtualization with a windows vm to update mine, works but is cumbersome to say the least. So, iFi, pleas make an update via mac os possible. Bonuspoints if we get an updater for iOS too! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back