If you won a million $ what headphones...
Oct 20, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #16 of 59
You said dream right? Ya gotta think out of the box, literally
wink.gif

I would have custom cans designed and built, just for me, by the worlds leading audio engineers, audiologists, and what have you. None of that mass produced stuff, this would be truly one of a kind, built just for me and my own ears.

It would probably be some sort of electrostatic can, not overdone on detail, but great dynamics and soundstage, some nice tight bass, portable, and with a sleek, modern design.

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #20 of 59
As for headphones either a R10 or Qualia 010 and a Supra SDS with full mods and cap upgrades. As for source, I'm not so sure yet but it'll be either a Merridian, Levinson, or a Accuphase.

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #21 of 59
I'm pretty happy with my current stuff... I know my taste will change with time. I also know for sure there would be a BMW 1200GS parked outside my apartment... WAIT! Parked in my garage

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #22 of 59
Though call
smily_headphones1.gif

Probably a pair of omega II and a bunch of the best parts to build my own blue hawaii.

For the source, the balanced version of the Audio Synthesis Dax Discrete. Undecided on the drive.

Oct 20, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #23 of 59
The most minty fresh Grado HP-1000 I could find - hold on, I'd bring Joe out of retirement and have him etch his signature in a hand-cobbled brand new pair, and have some farmer in jersey slay a soft calf for the headband. "Leather" after all. Then I'd pay for UFOKillerz to quit his job for a year and concentrate on making the ultimate IC, forget Starquad. Larry can consult as he uses a similar check from me to make the ultimate Headphile cable for the HP-1000. Then I'd send them to Tuberoller's dad to have them cryo'd. Now I plug that IC from my Pink Floyd WNA/Solo SS/Tube Hybrid with Headamp/Gilmore PSU (Kevin has to think of a new design just for this purpose of course) to the Voodoochile modded Jolida Tube CD source. What mods? I'll pay him a quarter of a million dollars to figure some out. Finally, the rest of the cash goes to reconditioning every pure item of vinyl extant using any process Todd finds viable (or voodoo) and we'll rip it to CD using whatever guru techniques appropriate (ultimate phono stage, blah blah) then condition the CDs with that magic marker treatment or plastic lathe shaver or whatever.

That should do it.

Oct 20, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #26 of 59
I could be happy with some HD650's and my aftermarket cable of choice -> Maxed out PPA -> modded 1212. I have all my music on my computer so there is no reason for me to have a CDP as a source.

I'd end up spending a good bit on my portable setup though, by adding the E5's and 2XS's. I'd probably get an iPod Mini too, for when I really want portability, and ditch this H120 for the H140.

I could be happy with that, since I'd be spending a lot more on my education
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #27 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScrtchBoy
I'd likely buy the top 3 phones of each design from each company, and a house to keep them in... heh
280smile.gif

But I'd rather start some sort of Karma mod thing with 40gb toshibas and injection molded case... and a built in amp...

You mean this?
lobot.jpg

Oct 20, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #28 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I could be happy with that, since I'd be spending a lot more on my education
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah
tongue.gif
a bunch would have to go to college and stuff.
If I blew a million dollars on headphones and couldn't pay for college, I'd have to shoot my self

Oct 20, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #30 of 59
For my Portable System:

Pretty much the same that I have now, but:
Upgrade the HD in the av320 to 100gig, replace the battery and get the cool Piel Frama leather case for it
Make a custom portable DAC
Make a custom portable amp
Make all my own cabling
Get a Headroom Headcase Bag [It is on the way, I already recieved the Traveller]
[This is actually what I am planning, but with a million bux I would actually have time
cool.gif
]

For my Home System:

Power:
High Current Ultimate Outlet
PS Audio P1000 Power Plant

Sources:
Linn Unidisk 1.1
Rockport Technologies System III Sirius -> Emmeline XR-2 -> Lyra Titan

Headphone amplifiers:
Gilmore Blue Hawaii [1 Sennheiser jack, 1 Stax jack]
Gilmore Dynahi w/Dynamite PSU [2 headphone jacks]
Headroom Blockhead
[All set up without volume control like a power amp]

Headphones:
Sennheiser HE-90
Stax Omega II
Sony Qualia 010
Ultrasone Edition 7
AKG K340 [Balanced]
[All recabled by headphile.com]

Other:
Placette Audio Balanced Passive Linestage Preamplifier
Behringer Ultragraph Pro FBQ6200
Custom made Switchbox [Linn/Rockport and Dynahi/Blue Hawaii/Blockhead]
All cabling from Zu Cable [Varial, Varial-XLR, Xaus, Mother]
All components on stone columns that secure to the foundation of my castle
rolleyes.gif

I guess I would probably get some speakers too.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back