If you won a million $ what headphones...
Oct 20, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #31 of 59
I'd keep my setup and buy msjrr's stax amp and some electrosatics to go with it. Then I'd buy my own power plant to power my system.

Biggie.

Oct 20, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #32 of 59
With a million dollars, here would be my setup:

40 gig ipod-> pocketdock line-out-> decent interconnect-> Supermono/SR71-> ProPhonic 2X-S

I would use that everywhere, not just portable.

I know, it's not particularly innovative. It's also quite humble.

Portability and isolation matter too much to me.

I'll probably acquire my dream setup sometime in my late twenties...and then I'll stop reading head-fi, stop listening to my gear, and start listening to my music!

Currently listening to: "Just one of those things" by Diana Krall on my ATH-A900s.

Oct 20, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #34 of 59
Or....

I would buy a nice house here to have a better listening environment.

Oh......only a million dollars, you day?
tongue.gif

-Ed

Oct 20, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #35 of 59
Headphone-wise I would keep my current system:

Source: Modded Tosh 3950
Interconnects: Silver sonic BL1 ic's
Amplifier: Dynahi (not yet born)
Headphones: Senn HD650 + Zu

Half a million I would save/invest. The other half I'd spend in a house + about $50K-$100K just travelling.

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
Sony MDR-R10 & Qualia 010 w/ Singlepower Maestro.

Seconded, only without the Qualia and with a Meridian 808. Not sure what turntable I'd get, but it'd be pricey...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
Orpheus, and a Blue Hawaii to drive 'em
orphsmile.gif

As for transport/DAC, that'd be a tough one. So many tempting choices. Classe? Arcam? Levinson?

I think HE90 is what you mean. Orpheus is a system that includes the amp that looks like a temple.

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
The most minty fresh Grado HP-1000 I could find - hold on, I'd bring Joe out of retirement and have him etch his signature in a hand-cobbled brand new pair, and have some farmer in jersey slay a soft calf for the headband. "Leather" after all. Then I'd pay for UFOKillerz to quit his job for a year and concentrate on making the ultimate IC, forget Starquad. Larry can consult as he uses a similar check from me to make the ultimate Headphile cable for the HP-1000. Then I'd send them to Tuberoller's dad to have them cryo'd. Now I plug that IC from my Pink Floyd WNA/Solo SS/Tube Hybrid with Headamp/Gilmore PSU (Kevin has to think of a new design just for this purpose of course) to the Voodoochile modded Jolida Tube CD source. What mods? I'll pay him a quarter of a million dollars to figure some out. Finally, the rest of the cash goes to reconditioning every pure item of vinyl extant using any process Todd finds viable (or voodoo) and we'll rip it to CD using whatever guru techniques appropriate (ultimate phono stage, blah blah) then condition the CDs with that magic marker treatment or plastic lathe shaver or whatever.

That should do it.

I knew that the answer on the question would be that simple.
biggrin.gif

Georg

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #41 of 59
Screw headphones . . . I'd use the money to fly around the world and go to a s**tload of concerts!
tongue.gif

Okay, an R-10 sounds appealing. So does an Orpheus. As does an Omega II. But
honestly for a Mill, I'd buy a nice house and get some speakers. Ohhh Yeah

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #42 of 59
Do I have to choose just one? I hope not because I'd like Sony MDR-R10s and Grado HP1000s with a Singlepower Maestro for the former and a Singlepower Supra SDS for the latter. A Meridian G08, Jolida JD100, and some sort of high-end Arcam for CD sources (I want variety) and some sort of SOTA or VPI turntable or maybe both. And then I need to spend a good portion of that money on buying a house with a dedicated listening room and power conditioning for all the audio stuff. I'm thinking PS Audio and Bolder Cables power-related stuff. And then the left over funds for some music.

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #43 of 59
To tell you the truth if I won a million dollars the 1st thing I would do is buy my mother a new house, buy myself a new Jaguar XJ8, THEN I would be thinking headphones.
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #44 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
That answer is cheating.
biggrin.gif

Georg

No, it's not - but it's a clear sign of beginning collectitis.
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back