If you thought some headphones were big...
Nov 9, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

*Baffled*

There's a gap in understanding somewhere. Let's see if we can find it
wink.gif

You're saying, anyone who has a problem with noisy neighbours has "something wrong with" them?

Why is it unreasonable to be irritated by slamming doors and heavy footsteps?

EK

Yes, there is definitely a gap in understanding here. I have lived in an apartment with noisy neighbours before. What's wrong with leaving a note asking them to keep it down?

Someone who has a problem with noisy neighbors is perfectly normal.
Someone who has a problem with noisy neighbors and wears industrial earmuffs in their own apartment all day is not perfectly normal.

It seems like everyone here is on crack or something? Why don't you ask some non-headfi members like your friends and family. Show them this thread and see what their opinion is of someone who wears isolation earmuffs in their apartment to mask footsteps and door slams. I bet it'll be no different than showing them someone who wears latex gloves all day because they're afraid of the germs on all the surfaces in their apartment.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, there is definitely a gap in understanding here. I have lived in an apartment with noisy neighbours before. What's wrong with leaving a note asking them to keep it down?

Someone who has a problem with noisy neighbors and wears industrial earmuffs in their own apartment all day is not perfectly normal.

It seems like everyone here is on crack or something? Why don't you ask some non-headfi members like your friends and family. Show them this thread and see what their opinion is of someone who wears isolation earmuffs in their apartment to mask footsteps and door slams. I bet it'll be no different than showing them someone who wears latex gloves all day because they're afraid of the germs on all the surfaces in their apartment.

The true disconnect here is that even though your point MAY be valid, your original post here was offensive and rude to the OP. But, you won't see that...

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Because, on occasion, said ******* in question does not keep things down. Also, depending on the quality of housing you've rented, lease agreements, applicable state laws, etc, the management may not give a damn and refuse to provide relief/evict the person.

In this situation, your choices are limited. If you can't afford to break the lease, wearing isolating earmuffs or headphones may be the best solution if you can't get used to the noise.

Or you can show up at their door with your Remington 870 slung over your shoulder and inform them, in your best southern drawl, that they best keep quiet if they know what's good for them. But something tells me the police won't like that one too much.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My reasoning for saying that is based on your general attitude on this safe and removed online community. It gives me the impression you don't have the control you desire in real life.

Just my opinion.
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The true disconnect here is that even though your point MAY be valid, your original post here was offensive and rude to the OP. But, you won't see that...

And what would my general attitude be on this safe and removed online community? You seemed to have formed a pretty solid opinion of me so lets hear it. What you see as rude, I see as being honest and frank. I am certainly not here to make other people feel good about themselves, nor am I here to bully others to get "control" that I desire in real life. Rather, it seems to me that some head-fiers are so far removed from reality that they post ridiculous stuff like this seeking support from odd like-minded people.

I made the suggestion of therapy in seriousness, and if you think that is offensive then you have a very narrow minded negative stereotype towards people who attend therapy. I am not saying to the OP "you're mentally insane and should be locked up with a strait jacket". Believe it or not, therapy is used by a lot of people to deal with everyday problems like work related stress, relationship problems, road rage, etc. Judging by the OP's extreme measures, he is driven up the wall by these otherwise common apartment noises. (everyone else living there has to hear them too, not just you!). Now I seriously doubt everyone else living in that building is sporting a pair of noise isolation earmuffs, and suffice to say, it is both an abnormal and extreme measure.

If you read my posts, I have explained why this is not a practical measure based on personal experience. These muffs are not ventilated like headphones, they're completely enclosed and their design hinges around not letting any air pass through to the ear. They will get extremely hot, uncomfortable, and unsanitary if you plan on using them for your purpose. There is also a possibility that you may get an ear infection from using them like that because of the constant heat and humidity. Learning to live with the noise and not let it bother you is a much more sensible solution. I've said all I have to say with this topic, so if you still find that my stance is offensive, please utilize the ignore user feature.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

it is definitely unusual but not insane. Just because someone does something considered wierd by others doesn't mean they need mental help necessarily. Therapy wouldn't do anything in this situation, if you are sensitive to loud noises you are sensitive to loud noises. Although you do make a good point about the earmuffs, it would be easier to tell the people to stop or if they are douchebags call the cops on them.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because, on occasion, said ******* in question does not keep things down. Also, depending on the quality of housing you've rented, lease agreements, applicable state laws, etc, the management may not give a damn and refuse to provide relief/evict the person.

In this situation, your choices are limited. If you can't afford to break the lease, wearing isolating earmuffs or headphones may be the best solution if you can't get used to the noise.

Or you can show up at their door with your Remington 870 slung over your shoulder and inform them, in your best southern drawl, that they best keep quiet if they know what's good for them. But something tells me the police won't like that one too much.

+2. I used to stay in an apartment with a broken heating unit. In the winter, we could never get the internal temp. above about 50 degrees F. and in the summer, we couldn't get the temperature below about 85 degrees F. Normally this would be alright, but Fairbanks is usually -40 degrees F in winter outside and 90 degrees in the summer. My roommate and I made several complaints about this, but in the end, all that ever happened is management stated that the temperature unit was working "within acceptable tolerance". We had to make up for it by firing multiple fans for cooling in summer and were 3-4 layers inside during winter.

For the OP, if the noise is bad enough that it would necessitate wearing earplugs or those muffs, I say go for it. Sometimes you just gotta do, what you gotta do.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #37 of 50
"The true disconnect here is that even though your point MAY be valid, your original post here was offensive and rude to the OP."

I agree... but I'm not offended; everyone has a right to their opinion. You see, I'm very "well adjusted" when it comes to living with irritation and rudeness in online communities... I'm just not adjusted to living with it day in and day out for years in my only place of refuge- my home.
wink.gif

And, of course, this wouldn't be a real, genuine Head-Fi thread if it did not include one or all of the following very helpful comments from members:
"I've heard better", "I've seen bigger", "Mine are more expensive", "The poster is an idiot", "This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard," "Everyone here is on crack."
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

And what would my general attitude be on this safe and removed online community? You seemed to have formed a pretty solid opinion of me so lets hear it. What you see as rude, I see as being honest and frank. I am certainly not here to make other people feel good about themselves, nor am I here to bully others to get "control" that I desire in real life. Rather, it seems to me that some head-fiers are so far removed from reality that they post ridiculous stuff like this seeking support from odd like-minded people.

I made the suggestion of therapy in seriousness, and if you think that is offensive then you have a very narrow minded negative stereotype towards people who attend therapy. I am not saying to the OP "you're mentally insane and should be locked up with a strait jacket". Believe it or not, therapy is used by a lot of people to deal with everyday problems like work related stress, relationship problems, road rage, etc. Judging by the OP's extreme measures, he is driven up the wall by these otherwise common apartment noises. (everyone else living there has to hear them too, not just you!). Now I seriously doubt everyone else living in that building is sporting a pair of noise isolation earmuffs, and suffice to say, it is both an abnormal and extreme measure.

If you read my posts, I have explained why this is not a practical measure based on personal experience. These muffs are not ventilated like headphones, they're completely enclosed and their design hinges around not letting any air pass through to the ear. They will get extremely hot, uncomfortable, and unsanitary if you plan on using them for your purpose. There is also a possibility that you may get an ear infection from using them like that because of the constant heat and humidity. Learning to live with the noise and not let it bother you is a much more sensible solution. I've said all I have to say with this topic, so if you still find that my stance is offensive, please utilize the ignore user feature.

Already made my point. You are rude in many situations here over time. As far as mental health treatment goes, well, I'm in the industry. So I have a ton of empathy for anyone seeking or needing it.

Again, MY opinion of you. Don't worry about it, just like I don't worry about your opinion of me.
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

...Judging by the OP's extreme measures, he is driven up the wall by these otherwise common apartment noises. (everyone else living there has to hear them too, not just you!). Now I seriously doubt everyone else living in that building is sporting a pair of noise isolation earmuffs, and suffice to say, it is both an abnormal and extreme measure.

...Learning to live with the noise and not let it bother you is a much more sensible solution...

This is what baffles me.

Learn to live with the noise and seek therapy to cope is somehow more rational than trying to come up with a real (i.e. physical) solution.

You're making a lot of negative assumptions here:

"...common apartment noises."

Why are you assuming the noises are "common"? Do you live in the OP's apartment? I'm not saying they're definately not common, but you don't know anything about this specific situation. The OP hasn't provided details (decibels, frequency, duration, time of day and so on) so we have to estimate/imagine what the noises are. For some reason you've decided that the noises are "common" and that the OP is just unable to cope.

"...and wears industrial earmuffs in their own apartment all day..."

Now how did you come up with this? Where does the OP say he's wearing them all day? There's zero specifics in this thread. Isn't it possible that the OP wears them for just a couple hours after he gets home from work, to relax? Or just whenever the neighbours are extra noisy? Or any number of possible durations and purposes? You go on to mention the unsanitary conditions, problems etc with wearing ear muffs all day. You don't know anything about how the OP is using his new muffs, you've just chosen the most negative possibilty.

I could keep going, but you must see that you've come to this thread with the worst possible scenario. Automatically assuming the OP is "abnormal" and everyone else is "far removed from reality" can be considered rude and offensive. How can you not see that?

EK

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #40 of 50
I simply cannot believe you guys are arguing about what seems to me like a very trivial matter. Who really cares when earmuffs are worn and so what if someone thinks its odd? pne hasn't always been the most diplomatic of members, but that doesn't mean you need to get angry, defensive, aggressive, etc about his views. Head-fi is a place for friendly, intellectual and casual discussions, not flame wars and pointless arguments. Just let him be or you're just fuelling his behaviour.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #41 of 50
I think the OP has actually managed to come up with an ingenious solution to his problem. I congratulate him on his pragmatism... At least it doesn't involve revenge/competitive noise/violence inflicted on his inconsiderate neighbours. However , in the true spirit of Headfi , I can't help wondering how long will it take before he carries out some mods on those beauties ?? Perhaps a Beyer leather headband should be purchased to get the ball rolling...

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #45 of 50
Just whack some KSC-75 drivers in there.

I bought some similar muffs when doing lots of international travel. 20 hours on a plane is bad enough, I want as much isolation as possible. The muffs and ER-4 did help a lot, but as mentioned, don't help with the bass rumble/noise.

Your idea of a massive, man-sized isolation platform is intriguing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back