If you thought some headphones were big...
Nov 9, 2007 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

coolbluesurface

Head-Fier
If you thought some headphones were big and ridiculous looking... check out these noise-reducing "ear muffs" I bought. I got them because I live in an apartment and I'm tired of hearing every footstep and slammed door of my neighbors. It reduces external noise by up to 33db, but I sure look funny wearing them. Then if I want even more isolation, I can listen to my Shure E4Cs underneath them.
tongue.gif

The attached pictures do not even demonstrate very clearly how huge these are.

"Blue fox to base... do you read me?!" Hahahah.

For anyone interested, you can get your own pair at http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/proeaulprpam.html. That site also sells IEMs and has some decent deals on open-box items on their "Specials, Odds & Ends" page.

3000smile.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you are seriously going to wear those 24/7 in your own apartment, perhaps you should consider investing the money on therapy instead.

confused.gif

Apartment living can seriously suck with thin walls and/or loud neighbors. I completely empathize with wearing those things, and I'm not sure how therapy would help.

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 50
Not sure what post #2 meant...

But, are they doing the trick?

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 50
PNE: Hahah- well therapy is what- $100/hr? These earmuffs were only $40 and should last years
tongue.gif

I won't wear these while sleeping- for that, I bought ear plugs and an alarm clock with a vibrating pad that goes under my pillow.
basshead.gif

Seriously, I've been living in ghetto apartments for 10 years now and I will need hardcore therapy if I don't get some peace and quiet and if I keep being woken up at 5am by my neighbors.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 50
Just saw you are in STL. What part?

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 50
Thanks Superpredator. Will75- yes they are working great, except that my main irritant is low-frequency noises like slamming doors and foot stomping. According to the documentation, these reduce 150Hz noises at only 15db, and probably less at even lower frequencies.

But I also bought some Pink Noise and White Noise CDs to try to cover sounds across the frequency range.

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 50
Will75- I'm in South City, or as I like to call it- South crapty.
smily_headphones1.gif

Was in the Shaw nbhd for a while, now in Benton Park.

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 50
I find the sites total isolation somewhat humerous...

It is basically a pair of custom IEMs to block out 25-30dba and then you play "masking noise" white, rain etc. and that helps isolate you more

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 50
I'm feeling your pain on the noisy neighbors. Last year we had some white trash tweakers move in above us, they stomped around and slammed the doors and cabinets at all hours. I ended up having to get foam earplugs to be able to sleep. Luckily we were able to get them evicted within 2 months, but I still can't sleep without the earplugs! Sweet peace and quiet.

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 50
They seems to be a very good support for any DIY project eh????

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 50
Sovkiller- yeah, I imagine there is plenty of space in these cups for any kind of headphone speakers.

The HD280s claim -32db isolation, but these (which claim -33db) are far more isolating. And they are comfortable.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

Apartment living can seriously suck with thin walls and/or loud neighbors. I completely empathize with wearing those things, and I'm not sure how therapy would help.

Actually I have a pair of these from work, used them as PPE when operating weed wackers. They're quite uncomfortable and after a couple of hours you have to air them out because they are extremely hot and non-ventilating. To suggest wearing these as a countermeasure for dealing with noises in an apartment is seriously overkill. I couldn't even imagine wearing earplugs 24/7, I'm sure there would be some health implications from that, IE ear infections.

I don't know why people think therapy is such an "out there" answer. You're suggesting that it's better to wear cumbersome PPE in your own home is a better solution than seeing a therapist and learning to deal with/accept the noises? Honestly... Would it be better for a germophobe to wrap themselves in saran wrap because it's cheaper?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back