If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2,551 of 19,246
There's a 7550 on the fs forums... But I took another look at the measurements, and I'm having second thoughts. I see the dreaded 3k dip coupled with a 5k peak. Not my favorite combo...

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #2,552 of 19,246
^   Here's a few more exciting 7550 & EX1000 graphs to finally put you off and save you some money: http://www.head-fi.org/t/665923/why-arent-the-sony-7550-as-popular-as-the-ex1000/30#post_9500969

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,553 of 19,246
Sep 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #2,554 of 19,246
Why does it feel as if I was at school? Always nice when the headteacher approves, not so great when they disapprove. Ahh, but at least it makes me feel soooo much younger.

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #2,555 of 19,246
^   Here's a few more exciting 7550 & EX1000 graphs to finally put you off and save you some money: http://www.head-fi.org/t/665923/why-arent-the-sony-7550-as-popular-as-the-ex1000/30#post_9500969

Hmm interesting. They all show the 3k dip but the 5k peak doesn't seem to be as present. I know different graphs have different compensations, but I also wonder how much has to do with product variation. You think you new pair is a little less hot than your last pair? I've experienced the same thing with different iems, and I think it's more common than we may realize.

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #2,556 of 19,246
I just felt a stabbing pain in my chest. Weird. Anyway is it that the 7550 has a more out-of-head presentation than the ER4S? Also do you prefer the 7550 to the EX1000? That's a phone I always wanted to try.

I have not tried many iem's (EX600, IE80, EX1000, 4Ai in order of ownership), but the EX1000 has dampened my further desire for getting other iem's. It continues wowing me after I have been using it for more than a year now. I can understand the treble offensiveness (rarely in my case) as reported by some listeners, but that can be tamed down with a tweaked source (in my case a diyimod and a dedicated LOD interconnect). I love treble sparkle as long as it is comfortable sparkle. Also from my experience, the EX1000 will be benefited greatly from amp'ing.

I bought the EX600 first, then the IE80, then a free upgrade from the EX600 to EX1000, then sold the IE80, then bought the 4Ai (collecting dust only). The EX1000 is truly incredible to my ears.

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2,557 of 19,246
Hmm interesting. They all show the 3k dip but the 5k peak doesn't seem to be as present. I know different graphs have different compensations, but I also wonder how much has to do with product variation. You think you new pair is a little less hot than your last pair? I've experienced the same thing with different iems, and I think it's more common than we may realize.

Like I said, I had both EX1000 & 7550 at the same time and my older pair definitely sounded closer to the EX1000 than the one I have now, and that one was a little more forgiving than the EX1000. My current pair never offends at all, no matter what music I play through it or how loud I play it. Playing at louder volumes was the real test then and it is now.

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2,559 of 19,246
^   This ageing crippling sparrow—an AKG and now also a shameless Sony shill—needs to feed his family and all those chicks around him — worms, I'm afraid, at this stage won't do. Therefore, our grumpy bird must find a way to get gnarlsagan to purchase a brand new pair of 7550s directly from Sony. If Mr gnarlsagan subsequently gets a huge disappointment like he did with the ASG-2s, he should only blame himself.

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2,560 of 19,246
^   This ageing crippling sparrow—an AKG and now also a shameless Sony shill—needs to feed his family and all those chicks around him — worms, I'm afraid, at this stage won't do. Therefore, our grumpy bird must find a way to get gnarlsagan to purchase a brand new pair of 7550s directly from Sony. If Mr gnarlsagan subsequently gets a huge disappointment like he did with the ASG-2s, he should only blame himself.

Haha good motives :wink:

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #2,561 of 19,246
Just got some new tips for the ER4S. Biflanges in a very similar size as the biflanges I made out of the stock large ety triflanges by cutting off the end tip. These new tips look a little nicer since they match the black of the ER4 body and cable. They're also a little thinner or less wide around the base than the "stock" biflange I made, and so they fit my ear better. The "stock" biflange was just a little to wide around, so the tip would scrunch up slightly as I pushed it deeper. This new tip doesn't do that. Pretty cool.

First thing I did with the new black tips was cut the stem of the tip down a bit (the part underneath the bottom biflange that goes onto the barrel). This was I could push the tip further down the barrel so the end of the barrel/filter sits flush with the end of the tip. Awesome. I recommend biflanges for the ER4S for people whose ears aren't quite deep enough to accommodate the triflanges comfortably. 

Sound is amazing. Actually I did the same thing that luisdent did last week. I was listening to the new Janelle Monae album (which has pretty great production), and I was pretty impressed with the bass quantity. It sounded really warm, almost too bassy. So I checked the eq and I didn't even have it on! Totally surprising. I just threw the eq on and it's somehow even better, even though the change is very small. Slightly improved bass extension and a tiny bump around 7k for that last drop of clarity. Beautiful. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #2,562 of 19,246
Just got some new tips for the ER4S. Biflanges in a very similar size as the biflanges I made out of the stock large ety triflanges by cutting off the end tip. These new tips look a little nicer since they match the black of the ER4 body and cable. They're also a little thinner or less wide around the base than the "stock" biflange I made, and so they fit my ear better. The "stock" biflange was just a little to wide around, so the tip would scrunch up slightly as I pushed it deeper. This new tip doesn't do that. Pretty cool.

First thing I did with the new black tips was cut the stem of the tip down a bit (the part underneath the bottom biflange that goes onto the barrel). This was I could push the tip further down the barrel so the end of the barrel/filter sits flush with the end of the tip. Awesome. I recommend biflanges for the ER4S for people whose ears aren't quite deep enough to accommodate the triflanges comfortably. 

Sound is amazing. Actually I did the same thing that luisdent did last week. I was listening to the new Janelle Monae album (which has pretty great production), and I was pretty impressed with the bass quantity. It sounded really warm, almost too bassy. So I checked the eq and I didn't even have it on! Totally surprising. I just threw the eq on and it's somehow even better, even though the change is very small. Slightly improved bass extension and a tiny bump around 7k for that last drop of clarity. Beautiful. 

Sounds like youre getting a similar sound to my comply experience. I think it is primarily how well any tip allows you to get a deep comfortable seal. It's amazing sonetimes how a tiny bit more depth or seal can help...

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #2,564 of 19,246
Installed the red filters... sound good.  Was a bit of a project and nearly lost them across the table a few times but finally managed to get them in.  One question... which direction you they go in?  Noticed the red filter cloth is closer to one side then the other and they aren't entirely symetric.  I inserted them so that the red cloth is furthest inside the stem.  In other words facing the iem. once inserted you see the tube end of the filter instead of the cloth end.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #2,565 of 19,246
Installed the red filters... sound good.  Was a bit of a project and nearly lost them across the table a few times but finally managed to get them in.  One question... which direction you they go in?  Noticed the red filter cloth is closer to one side then the other and they aren't entirely symetric.  I inserted them so that the red cloth is furthest inside the stem.  In other words facing the iem. once inserted you see the tube end of the filter instead of the cloth end.

You installed them correctly. Do you notice much of a difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back