If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #2,461 of 19,256
Does anyone know if there is an adaptor to convert the ER4S to ER4P?

I know there are plenty for the other way round. I just got an AK120 and the sound of the Ety ER4 is wonderful with it but the player does not have enough power to drive these inefficient IEM's so I though converting it to "P" Spec would be ideal!

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,462 of 19,256
Does anyone know if there is an adaptor to convert the ER4S to ER4P?

I know there are plenty for the other way round. I just got an AK120 and the sound of the Ety ER4 is wonderful with it but the player does not have enough power to drive these inefficient IEM's so I though converting it to "P" Spec would be ideal!
Unfortunately you can only convert P ---> S and not the other way around

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #2,463 of 19,256
Ian, how loud do you listen to music? Considering the 4S' excellent isolation levels, I'd imagine the AK120 would have enough juice to drive your Etys to your volume requirements. Or else, just sell your AK120 and get yourself an iPod Touch!

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #2,464 of 19,256
Music. i generally listen pretty quietly. On the AK120 with my PF's at around 48 but the ETY's need double that for the same volume.

Zalithian, thanks so much for your quick reply. I guess I will have to buy the "P" version then as the sound is rather lovely with the 120!

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #2,465 of 19,256
Music. i generally listen pretty quietly. On the AK120 with my PF's at around 48 but the ETY's need double that for the same volume.

Zalithian, thanks so much for your quick reply. I guess I will have to buy the "P" version then as the sound is rather lovely with the 120!

Yeah i found the best and most versatile deal is to buy the P version, then get a $13 P->S adapter, then if you want a B version, purchase the C&C BH2 amp for $100. Three headphones in one!

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2,466 of 19,256

Yes, the PFs, 1601s, Heaven S, FI-BA-SS & 334s are extremely sensitive (wish they weren't, tbh), and the 4S is exactly the opposite; the K3003, Parterres & KAEDEs are just right. Still, as noted a few days ago, my Touch gets loud enough for my needs (12-13 out of 16 volume steps is already very/too loud, I'd normally set the volume at 8-10, 12 or 13 max for some older classical recordings).

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #2,468 of 19,256
So, as much as I really dislike using a shirt-clip, I've been forced finally decided to use the Ety shirt-clip, and I'm happy to report that microphonics have been very significantly reduced. I'd like to add that I love the 4S cable length, specially when these are used with my desktop amp.

Still mightily impressed by the sonics of these very, very fine IEMs — instead of using the term "analytical", I personally prefer the term "revealing" here—wonderfully revealing phones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yEcTB2va5E

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #2,469 of 19,256
  So, as much as I really dislike using a shirt-clip, I've been forced finally decided to use the Ety shirt-clip, and I'm happy to report that microphonics have been very significantly reduced. I'd like to add that I love the 4S cable length, specially when these are used with my desktop amp.

Still mightily impressed by the sonics of these very, very fine IEMs — instead of using the term "analytical", I personally prefer the term "revealing" here—wonderfully revealing phones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yEcTB2va5E

M, how revealing would you say it is vs the KAEDE? I found the SUI to be quite the ruthless dictator.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #2,470 of 19,256
^   Off the top of my head, I'd say they're similarly revealing, but their presentation is quite different — the 4S is more monitor-like, the KAEDE more full-size headphone-like — however, this 'monitor-like' sound isn't boring or clinical to these ears, but this clearly is my preference because I'm finding this type of sound very, very appealing. The KAEDEs have more treble energy and air but not necessarily more detail, though it may appear that way. The midrange on the KAEDEs is kind of dry and may also appear to show more detail, IMO, but not really; I find the 4S's midrange quite a bit more accurate and, therefore, actually more revealing, or the same details are presented more clearly; this also being the result, in my view, of a more linear bass with less quantity on the 4S. The 4S's bass is very textured, so the quality and detail is really very good. FWIW, I find the ER4S a better all-rounder.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #2,471 of 19,256
I think we still will replace the cable to make it a 4P.  I think it is $50.

Oh thats great I will certainly do that in that case, thank you!

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #2,472 of 19,256
^   Off the top of my head, I'd say they're similarly revealing, but their presentation is quite different — the 4S is more monitor-like, the KAEDE more full-size headphone-like — however, this 'monitor-like' sound isn't boring or clinical to these ears, but this clearly is my preference because I'm finding this type of sound very, very appealing. The KAEDEs have more treble energy and air but not necessarily more detail, though it may appear that way. The midrange on the KAEDEs is kind of dry and may also appear to show more detail, IMO, but not really; I find the 4S's midrange quite a bit more accurate and, therefore, actually more revealing, or the same details are presented more clearly; this also being the result, in my view, of a more linear bass with less quantity on the 4S. The 4S's bass is very textured, so the quality and detail is really very good. FWIW, I find the ER4S a better all-rounder.

From my audition with the SUI I agree with this. I view emphasized treble as a "cheat" or shortcut to make things initially appear more detailed than they really are upon further inspection. This is most apparent in cymbals imo, where a treble peak willl accentuate detail, but also interfere with the smooth ride of the strike by making it too splashy and without sufficient and/or realistic decay. It's an illusion that used to work on me (major x-treble head here), but now I find it rather gimmicky.

I think music also makes a good point (maybe inadvertently) that detail is a somewhat nebulous term. The frequency range in general covers a lot of sounds, and different things will be accentuated by different FR's, and different people will listen for detail in different areas at different times. What I'm getting at is I like music's technique of being specific about detail being accuracy (and FR) based. It's a more... detailed explanation imo lol.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #2,473 of 19,256
From my audition with the SUI I agree with this. I view emphasized treble as a "cheat" or shortcut to make things initially appear more detailed than they really are upon further inspection. This is most apparent in cymbals imo, where a treble peak willl accentuate detail, but also interfere with the smooth ride of the strike by making it too splashy and without sufficient and/or realistic decay. It's an illusion that used to work on me (major x-treble head here), but now I find it rather gimmicky.

I think music also makes a good point (maybe inadvertently) that detail is a somewhat nebulous term. The frequency range in general covers a lot of sounds, and different things will be accentuated by different FR's, and different people will listen for detail in different areas at different times. What I'm getting at is I like music's technique of being specific about detail being accuracy (and FR) based. It's a more... detailed explanation imo lol.

I think frequency reponse is possibly the most important factor in an earphone. I've heard heard most of the top end earphones. While some offer better quality in one rgard or another, it always comes down to frequency response as the determining factor of how much detail and quality is revealed. Not to say that other aspects aren't very important. However, i've yet to hear a single earphone where other traits are sufficiently better to outweigh a flat frequency response. In fact, i eq every single earphone i try to be flat based on listening and graphs. While not identical, i've been extremely surprised how close they all are with eq applied properly.

As for treble, the common misconception is indeed that more treble equals better detail. More treble may sound more crisp, but that isn't necessarily better. It's possible to polish a piece of poop... Mythbusters did that. But that doesn't mean it smells any better... :p

Lastly, i think we can accept music_4321 into the officialety club now. He's passed initiation. Lmao

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #2,475 of 19,256
I bought the ER-4PT without realising the P-S adapter is included. Dumbarse, I know...
confused_face.gif

Anyway the point is I got one of them P-S plugs off of Ebay as a result, and no surprises here, it's equally effective.

The Ety adapter, with a bit of cable and a curved connector, is a more useful design for me though.

Quote:
  I just ordered a new P - S adapter cable off Ebay for $15 including shipping.  Much better than the retail $49 + ship.  We'll see what actually turns up in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back