If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #2,446 of 19,256
Music_4321 also I should add that in my case after dealing with the adapters, I found that using a plastic twisty tie to secure the cable works the best to achieve an over the ear fit and avoid microphonics. I wear the ER4S at the gym with no issues. I posted pictures a couple pages back.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #2,447 of 19,256
  Three days in and I simply love the ER4S' sonics — love the FR as is. Still kicking myself for having waited so long to try this absolutely terrific IEM.

The cable, though, is proving to be a bit of a pain (microphonics and weight [don't like using a shirt-clip]).

1.  Anyone tried these by any chance? I have a spare ES Westone-type cable which I love as it's very light and absolutely non-microphonic.

Now, I already know the seller offers adaptors for the all different ER4 models so I know I'd have to order the S one.

2.  Can anyone confirm sonics are not altered at all?

3.  Is fit affected somehow?

4.  Is a cable-over-the-ear fit possible with these adaptors? I'm guessing it is.

5.  Are the ER4S adaptors that difficult to remove? I've tried removing them but they seem to be very, very tight and I don't want to risk breaking them or damaging the prongs (yes, tried doing so very carefully AND patiently by holding both the connectors and housings very firmly, but to no avail).

I would argue that if you are using any type of cable like this shape, then you are not getting the proper fit and sound quality.  The depth required to get the proper full bass response and overall frequency accuracy is so deep that the L-shape connector would push into your ear.  This is how deep I'm wearing my er4s with comply foam tips.  The comply foam tips barely extend past the nozzle, just for reference...

As you can see, not only is the housing fully against my ear, they are also beautifully designed when worn at the proper depth.  If I were to have an L-shape adapter, it would prevent me from putting them this deep, at least without jamming the housing into my ear and getting pain or discomfort.  Some may disagree, and perhaps some ears are slightly different shapes, but for 'most' people, I would argue they need to insert them deeper therefore rendering these cable adapters as not really an option.

UPDATE:  As gnarlsagan mentioned, you could wear them pointing upwards instead.  I don't do this, so I suppose that could be a solution if it fits easier with the adapters...

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #2,448 of 19,256

This isn't a problem with the stock tips if you cut the smallest flange off of the triple flange. 

As you can see the bore extends past the tip, taking the tips out of the equation. 

Ah yes.  This seems like a great idea for over the ear.  Add my cord lock and right ear identifier and you've got a sweet custom er4s. :wink: lmao

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #2,449 of 19,256
1. I've definitely tried those.

2. Sonics were not perceptibly altered to me.

3. Fit is affected. With as deep a fit as I need, the angled adapter hit part of my ear when wearing over the ear, making it slightly uncomfortable for any length of time.

4. See 3.

5. Yes the ER4S cable is ridiculously difficult to remove. Removing it is possible by putting a flat object between the housing and the cable and prying then apart. It is a risk though and etymotic has stated that the cable is not supposed to be user-removable.

6. (Bonus) I'm not sure how the adapters fit with Westone cable specifically, but with the UE cable the fit between the adapter and the cable tended to be a bit loose. It held fine for the most part, but needed to be pushed into a more secure fit from time to time, especially when on the move.

My experience has been that the sharp corners dig into your ears.
I filled mine down to a more rounded shape that blends better with the cable and the iem cylinder.
I say that there is a sonic influence from the adapter, but then it can't really be isolated from any influence the different cable may impart.
In my case, the silver dragon iem cable, along with the now infamous red filter, can be credited with a positive sonic influence.

I would argue that if you are using any type of cable like this shape, then you are not getting the proper fit and sound quality.  The depth required to get the proper full bass response and overall frequency accuracy is so deep that the L-shape connector would push into your ear.  This is how deep I'm wearing my er4s with comply foam tips.  The comply foam tips barely extend past the nozzle, just for reference...

As you can see, not only is the housing fully against my ear, they are also beautifully designed when worn at the proper depth.  If I were to have an L-shape adapter, it would prevent me from putting them this deep, at least without jamming the housing into my ear and getting pain or discomfort.  Some may disagree, and perhaps some ears are slightly different shapes, but for 'most' people, I would argue they need to insert them deeper therefore rendering these cable adapters as not really an option.

UPDATE:  As gnarlsagan mentioned, you could wear them pointing upwards instead.  I don't do this, so I suppose that could be a solution if it fits easier with the adapters...

Ah yes.  This seems like a great idea for over the ear.  Add my cord lock and right ear identifier and you've got a sweet custom er4s. :wink: lmao

Thank you for all the replies! Hmmm… will need to think about it.

The ES cable I have is a standard Westone (copper) cable from, er, Westone, which should not alter the sonics (unlike possibly a silver cable). Still not curious enough to try other filters (but definitely will eventually).

I'm now wondering about those sharp edges because I'm getting a very deeeeeep fit and that IS a concern. Was hoping, though, that the 'over the ear' fit would help in that area.

jdmoorman, many thanks for those excellent pics! I may well give those connectors a try soon enough and try filing down those sharp edges.

luisdent, thanks for those photos, too (including gnarlsagan's). Yes, I'm getting a very similar fit to yours, veeeery deep, that's why I intend to have an 'over the ear' fit with the adaptors as a cable-down fit would seem pretty uncomfortable and practically impossible, I think, even after filing those sharp edges.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #2,450 of 19,256
Also, with a deep fit wearing the adapters up will very likely hit the upper part of the ear. My ears aren't as deep as luisdent's and the adapter still rubbed against the upper part of my ear. The deeper the fit the worse the problem was in my case. Since then I've managed to get an even deeper fit than I used to be able to, so the adapters are now out of the question for me. Hope this helps.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2,451 of 19,256
That saddens me, Inks — just when I thought you and I were finally starting to hit it off... Oh well, it only took me 14 years to try the 4S... perhaps another 14 years for Inks and music_4321 to become buddies.

I hope you realize I was joking....

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2,453 of 19,256
Also, with a deep fit wearing the adapters up will very likely hit the upper part of the ear. My ears aren't as deep as luisdent's and the adapter still rubbed against the upper part of my ear. The deeper the fit the worse the problem was in my case. Since then I've managed to get an even deeper fit than I used to be able to, so the adapters are now out of the question for me. Hope this helps.

Yes, that is indeed a concern and that's also why I need to think about it. On the other hand, I already have the ~$40 cable, so experimenting with the adaptors would cost me about £22 (would have to remove the Ety connectors very carefully, though). Makes me wonder how come Etymotic have not addressed the cable issues (microphonics & weight). Such a great IEM and with a cable that...

I hope you realize I was joking....

Joking about not liking the 4S now or about hating it?

I was being dead serious about liking the ER4S a bit more after I saw your post, and about hoping that in 14 years' time Inks and that awfully charming sparrow become great pals.

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,454 of 19,256
Those who know me (well) will know how much I like/d the Sony EX1000, one of my all-time favourite phones. When the Sonys were fed the right music, they were simply incredible. However, they were not the best all-rounders because their treble could prove problematic with several recordings, particularly when turning up the volume.

Here's a track that exhibited such problems with the EX1000's treble. The ER4S, by contrast, renders this track brilliantly — stunning midrange and fabulously accurate treble—turn up the volume and no issues whatsoever; great detailed and textured bass, too (though not as impeccable as the one and only EX1000's bass): http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Talk+Talk+The+Colour+02+I+Don+t+Believe+In+You/4GO1UX?src=5

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2,455 of 19,256
  Those who know me (well) will know how much I like/d the Sony EX1000, one of my all-time favourite phones. When the Sonys were fed the right music, they were simply incredible. However, they were not the best all-rounders because their treble could prove problematic with several recordings, particularly when turning up the volume.

Here's a track that exhibited such problems with the EX1000's treble. The ER4S, by contrast, renders this track brilliantly — stunning midrange and fabulously accurate treble—turn up the volume and no issues whatsoever; great detailed and textured bass, too (though not as impeccable as the one and only EX1000's bass): http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Talk+Talk+The+Colour+02+I+Don+t+Believe+In+You/4GO1UX?src=5

Glad you are enjoying the ER4S :) I think it's their simplicity by using resistors coupled with the isolation that makes them a time-tested classic.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #2,456 of 19,256
I'm not 100% sure, as I haven't really mucked around with tip selection yet, but I think to some degree the microphonics are due to the nature of deep insertion of the triple flange tips. The vibrations seem to be conducted to your inner ear through the ridged earpiece.

That, and having a weighty resistor pod in the middle of the cable can't be much help, which is unavoidable.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #2,457 of 19,256
My ears aren't as deep as luisdent's

Do you say this because they looker deeper in my ears in my photo?  Just curious. Have you tried the standard comply foam tips as deep as you can?  I find them MUCH easier to get very deep than any other tip, because they're softer and compress more while not having any straight edges to poke your inner ear while you're pushing them in.  I don't have er4 comply tips.  I'm actually using my pfe112 comply tips, but I believe they are the identical tips, but perhaps with a slightly larger nozzle tube.  They don't grip the er4s tightly, but I haven't lost one in my ears yet, and you see how deep they are.  I assume the er4s comply tips grip tighter.  Maybe not.  Maybe they are the same exact tip, I don't know.

Anyhow, I get the smoothest response by far with the least peaks and the best bass.  I also get the greatest sound stage.

For anyone not sure if you're getting a deep enough fit.  When you pull out the earphones you should see small bits of brain matter clogging up the filters.  If you haven't hit your brain, you're not deep enough. :p

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2,459 of 19,256
Do you say this because they looker deeper in my ears in my photo?  Just curious. Have you tried the standard comply foam tips as deep as you can?  I find them MUCH easier to get very deep than any other tip, because they're softer and compress more while not having any straight edges to poke your inner ear while you're pushing them in.  I don't have er4 comply tips.  I'm actually using my pfe112 comply tips, but I believe they are the identical tips, but perhaps with a slightly larger nozzle tube.  They don't grip the er4s tightly, but I haven't lost one in my ears yet, and you see how deep they are.  I assume the er4s comply tips grip tighter.  Maybe not.  Maybe they are the same exact tip, I don't know.

Anyhow, I get the smoothest response by far with the least peaks and the best bass.  I also get the greatest sound stage.

For anyone not sure if you're getting a deep enough fit.  When you pull out the earphones you should see small bits of brain matter clogging up the filters.  If you haven't hit your brain, you're not deep enough. :p

At deepest insertion for me they are just a bit further out than in your pic. I have a pretty thin head though lol. I've used shure olives, but foams on the ER4S don't work so well for me. My ear canal has a pretty sharp bend that needs a more solid surface to get around and hold. I got a lot of channel imbalance when I used foam. That said, I'm going to try using them again anyway because it's been a while, and maybe my ears are more acclimated to deep insertion. I'll definitely update here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back