If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #2,236 of 19,254
Quote:
lusident, maybe I'm wrong but as I'm browsing the net I find that Fitear f111 is universal IEM and I was asking about Custom IEMs which could be regarded as having similar sound signature to Etys ER4.

Check out what tomscy2000 had to say about Canalworks custom iems on page 138 of this thread: 

I don't think the 1Plus2 has a similar midrange to the ER4. The TWFK sounds very different from the ED, IMHO, and the two will never sound similar in my book. I've actually done blind tests (same exact black shells) between the ED, TWFK, and GQ, and was able to differentiate the three. I was confused between an ED/CI combo vs. GQ, but that's understandable.

The CW-L05QD uses four Sonion 2354 in tandem. It's paired in sets of two, with dual bores (identical 680 ohm damping) and a voltage divider between the two sets of dual 2354. I think it's brilliant. It definitely gives off an ER4 vibe, but the soundstage sounds bigger, grander, airier.

CW also has the CW-L01, which is a 2354 with a 100 ohm resistor attached; sounds like the ER4S with slightly better bass extension (because of the bass venting). It also has a CW-L01P, which is a 2354 with less serial resistance, and sounds more like the ER4P.

Hayashi-san seems to be an admirer of the ER4 sound, and the majority of his models have modest levels of bass with present, bright-ish mids, but controlled sibilance. I'm a fan of his products.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #2,237 of 19,254

First post in like 9 months.

ER4S with HD 600. In recent years I have gone a bit old school. Nothing much really surprises nowadays. Some of the newer BA earphones are decent, but most have some obvious flaws, and the measurements tell. Some are grossly overpriced.

I once heard the UERM, and I like it quite a bit. I heard the HD 800 with a very special DIY'ed amp with tube as big as my fist, and that was amazing too. Most amazing was the Staxes. I was thinking of getting a pair of SR-009, but as of now it'll remain out of stock on PriceJapan for a long long time. Maybe I will get a pair of Stax 005S Mk2 earphones, or maybe I will get the UERM. Not very sure yet, but sticking with the ER4S and saving up seems to be a better idea.

I have some green red and orange filters coming this Friday. Maybe I will take out the stock filter and replace it with the red ones, as per the advice here.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2,238 of 19,254
Quote:

First post in like 9 months.

ER4S with HD 600. In recent years I have gone a bit old school. Nothing much really surprises nowadays. Some of the newer BA earphones are decent, but most have some obvious flaws, and the measurements tell. Some are grossly overpriced.

I once heard the UERM, and I like it quite a bit. I heard the HD 800 with a very special DIY'ed amp with tube as big as my fist, and that was amazing too. Most amazing was the Staxes. I was thinking of getting a pair of SR-009, but as of now it'll remain out of stock on PriceJapan for a long long time. Maybe I will get a pair of Stax 005S Mk2 earphones, or maybe I will get the UERM. Not very sure yet, but sticking with the ER4S and saving up seems to be a better idea.

I have some green red and orange filters coming this Friday. Maybe I will take out the stock filter and replace it with the red ones, as per the advice here.

Two of the best all around phones there are.  Affordable (relatively speaking) and very neutral.  The two pairs I recommend above all else to people.  They both have their flaws, but they compliment each other very well too.  No isolation with the hd600, the most isolation with the er4s for instance.  It's like having a great home set and a great portable set. :)

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,239 of 19,254
Quote:
 Most amazing was the Staxes. I was thinking of getting a pair of SR-009, but as of now it'll remain out of stock on PriceJapan for a long long time. 

What did you think of the SR009 compared to the ER4S, sound-signature-wise? 

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,240 of 19,254
Seems Mr luisdent and music_4321 finally agree on something: the HD600 is a great phone — the Senns are the headphone I'd recommend to anyone who wants not just fantastic SQ but a phone that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. But, unlike Mr luisdent, I think the HD600 renders music quite a bit better, more realistically than the F111 (sorry but have not heard the venerable ear-raping ER4S, but by all accounts they seem to have a lot in common), irrespective of which one has a 'better' FR.

Always a pleasure to read Mr Pianist's posts even when we disagree 97.4% of the time. This time, though, I have to ask Mr Pianist, when you say, "ER4S outperforms HD650 easily in many areas", may I ask two things: a) just how "easily"? and b) how many is "many" exactly? Is it 10, 25, 43, 72?

I still wonder if anybody here has heard the Sony MDR-EX800ST / MDR-7550, an IEM I mentioned a while ago but seems to continue to be terribly ignored and, therefore, terribly underrated. These days it retails in several places for less than the ER4S.

One last thing. The HD600, HD650 & HD800 are open-back headphones. Why should they isolate when they're not supposed to? There are people who actually prefer to have not the most isolating headphones and/or earphones. We have canal phones (aka earbuds) whose isolation goes from poor to non-existent. There are times when I intentionally use my very good sounding Apple Earpods (yes, their SQ is pretty good) because I don't want to use IEMs, ie I want the lack of isolation they offer, which, among other things, is much healthier for the ears. Not everyone uses their phones in loud environments... or in loud environments all the time.

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #2,241 of 19,254
Quote:
Seems Mr luisdent and music_4321 finally agree on something: the HD600 is a great phone — the Senns are the headphone I'd recommend to anyone who wants not just fantastic SQ but a phone that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. But, unlike Mr luisdent, I think the HD600 renders music quite a bit better, more realistically than the F111 (sorry but have not heard the venerable ear-raping ER4S, but by all accounts they seem to have a lot in common), irrespective of which one has a 'better' FR.

Always a pleasure to read Mr Pianist's posts even when we disagree 97.4% of the time. This time, though, I have to ask Mr Pianist, when you say, "ER4S outperforms HD650 easily in many areas", may I ask two things: a) just how "easily"? and b) how many is "many" exactly? Is it 10, 25, 43, 72?

I still wonder if anybody here has heard the Sony MDR-EX800ST / MDR-7550, an IEM I mentioned a while ago but seems to continue to be terribly ignored and, therefore, terribly underrated. These days it retails in several places for less than the ER4S.

One last thing. The HD600, HD650 & HD800 are open-back headphones. Why should they isolate when they're not supposed to? There are people who actually prefer to have not the most isolating headphones and/or earphones. We have canal phones (aka earbuds) whose isolation goes from poor to non-existent. There are times when I intentionally use my very good sounding Apple Earpods (yes, their SQ is pretty good) because I don't want to use IEMs, ie I want the lack of isolation they offer, which, among other things, is much healthier for the ears. Not everyone uses their phones in loud environments... or in loud environments all the time.

I personally never said you need or always want isolation.  I too use the earpods for when I don't want isolation and I find the earpods to be on of my favorite iem actually.  The slightly boosted bass and treble help when there is external noise, but the non-isolating properties give them a similar openness to over ear open phones like the hd600.  I also don't personally think the er4s blows away the hd600 as some people might.  But I think they have very different presentations of a similar frequency response, i.e.  both are pretty flat.  Over ear headphones have more believable bass without requiring the bass to be boosted.  But the er4s is a much smoother sound than the hd600.  When I say smooth I mean that the hd600 has a sort of dry sound while the er4s sounds almost more liquid.  I also hear more details in most situations when i do have the extra isolation of the er4s.  I eq them both.  Without eq the hd600 steps on the er4s for bass overall but the er4s wins with micro details.  They are again different, but similar.  Most people probably would say they are more different, but when you listen to the music as a whole presentation of sound accounting for the experience they provide, I believe they both achieve a fairly "studio monitor" type sound with the proper eq.  Same goes for the hd650.  They are simply a little less treble presence than the 600, but the same basic things I said apply.

I think a lot of sonys other than perhaps the xba series get ignored.  That's unfortunate.  I've used a lot of in ear and over ear sonys and have never 'not' enjoyed my sound.  Perfectly flat, not always.  But overall, they usually offer excellent sound/price value.  I challenge anyone to pickup the rockin' buds for $10 and tell me it isn't amazing sound quality for the price.  In fact, with eq it's pretty shocking how good they can sound.  Durability and other things aren't top notch, but for $10 you could have a really decent set.

The crux with the f111 is the fit.  I know you've heard me say it over and over.  And I know you'll think you've tried every possible fit, but it is the same response as the er4s with the perfect fit. If not better in the fact that it's easier to listen to while being flat.  The biggest improvement though, is that they sound more speaker like, more 3d, more open, more distinct.  If you're not hearing this you don't have the proper fit.  I honestly believe that some people simply can't get the proper fit, because it requires such a shallow depth, some ears might not have the right shape/canal length to accommodate this fit.  It's so hard for me to achieve I almost though I had "though" I heard great quality when I first put them in my ears but that I must have been imagining it, because they were a new iem to me.  But every time I get lucky and get that fit I'm shocked, because they sound so good.  Without this fit I would say they're excellent, really good phones, but not as good as the er4s, hd600, etc.  But with this fit they are at least at the same level for me.  I just only hope that each person that tries them really gives them time and really tries everything they can to get a good fit.  Once you do, you'll know it.  You'll say "oh my goodness, they really DO sound like the er4s".  Granted, they don't sound identical, because, well, they AREN'T the er4s.  The presentation is just different in a lot of ways, but the balance and frequency response are what improve dramatically with the fit.

The problem with the fit is that it is so counterintuitive.  It is the opposite of what you'd expect.  You can't jam them in like the er4s (although this is o.k.) and you can't get a perfect seal and fit them normally.  You have to practically get the exact distance AND the exact seal.  For me this is hard, because, as with the er4s, pushing them straight in causes pressure which changes the sound and makes them thin.  I need to insert them so they seal well, but lift and finagle them to allow air to seep in and equalize the pressure.  Then bass is restored,  but being shallow and well sealed the treble really shines as well.

Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  haha.  If you don't hear this I can see why you'd write them off as inferior to the other phones (but still very good).  And unfortunately, I think a lot of people won't achieve this perfect fit ever, or enough to want to keep them (me).  So, in a way, what "is" their true frequency response.  Even if they were designed for a perfect shallow fit, if it takes a lot of work every single time you use them, most people will just insert them "normally" like most iems of this tip design.  If that's the case, then the frequency response is warmer and less bright than the er4s, so don't go there if you like the er4s frequency response.  However, if this magical fit does exist, should that be considered as well?  Maybe some people won't have to work as hard for it.  Maybe some people won't ever get it.  In my opinion, that's where the f111 has failed...  That is all.  :p

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #2,242 of 19,254
Why not just get custom tips and be happy?  
wink_face.gif

Less discomfort than rubber tips, and no itchiness on the skin. It's not the easiest thing to achieve the same seal everytime and therefore, same SQ everytime listening to the ER4 using conventional tips. With the Westone tips that I have, once it heats up to body temp it just disappears. It's just easy peasy pop and go.

The velour pad on the HD600 is supremely comfortable too. I could sleep with it.

The whole earphone vs headphone thing is an age old topic. Headphones can simulate HRTF processed recordings, but earphones/IEM can't, as they bypass the outer ears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_localization

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #2,243 of 19,254
Why not just get custom tips and be happy?  
wink_face.gif

Less discomfort than rubber tips, and no itchiness on the skin. It's not the easiest thing to achieve the same seal everytime and therefore, same SQ everytime listening to the ER4 using conventional tips. With the Westone tips that I have, once it heats up to body temp it just disappears. It's just easy peasy pop and go.

The velour pad on the HD600 is supremely comfortable too. I could sleep with it.

The whole earphone vs headphone thing is an age old topic. Headphones can simulate HRTF processed recordings, but earphones/IEM can't, as they bypass the outer ears.

I've had the opposite experience. I'll probably never try customs again. Everything you said is the exact opposite for me. With how difficult it is to get the perfect fit, i think it is 99% likely i'd never come close with customs.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #2,244 of 19,254
Quote:

You'd be surprised to learn what IEMs such as the K3003, TG334, Parterre & KAEDE are capable of, or even the new 385€ FA-4E. (Not the F111, which sounds decidedly 2D [I had the exact same fit, same tips, same angle of insertion with Parterre & F111, BTW])

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,245 of 19,254
Quote:

You'd be surprised to learn what IEMs such as the K3003, TG334, Parterre & KAEDE are capable of, or even the new 385€ FA-4E. (Not the F111, which sounds decidedly 2D [I had the exact same fit, same tips, same angle of insertion with Parterre & F111, BTW])

I'm sure there's better and I can't wait to hear some, but I do think a lot of people won't hear the 3d-ness without the perfect fit.  The lack of treble definitely ruins the effect a decent amount.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #2,246 of 19,254
Quote:

Always a pleasure to read Mr Pianist's posts even when we disagree 97.4% of the time. This time, though, I have to ask Mr Pianist, when you say, "ER4S outperforms HD650 easily in many areas", may I ask two things: a) just how "easily"? and b) how many is "many" exactly? Is it 10, 25, 43, 72

I think ER4S is better than HD650 in many technical aspects - the bass on the former is tighter and more defined, mids are more transparent, treble is much smoother and much more resolving, overall clarity is better, instrument separation is better, background between sounds is blacker with less grain/bleed, resulting in more focused imaging, and frequency response seems more accurate to my ears... HD650, on the other hand, has an edge in bass weight, soundstage size, imaging naturalness (due to the open back design giving the sound a more natural airy tone and allowing sounds to blend in more easily with the background) and dynamics. I will take HD650 over ER4S most of the time for dance, trance, rap, a lot of new age and ambient, orchestral, and, generally, for music where bass weight and/or soundstage and imaging naturalness are very important. ER4S, on the other hand, excels for small ensembles, including most jazz and acoustic music, electronic without much bass emphasis, a lot of guitar music (rock, blues...), a lot of pop, some classical... I do think HD650 is the better all arounder in the sense that it can reproduce pretty much any genre very well and doesn't really specialize in any particular genre(s). ER4S, on the other hand, is definitely more specialized IMO and sounds best with well recorded music that doesn't focus too much on low frequencies and doesn't require a large, airy soundstage to sound great. HD650 is far more forgiving than ER4S with poorly recorded tracks and while the former doesn't really hide much, it's not as aggressively resolving as the ER4S and won't make flaws stand out as much. Also, while HD650 is not as technically proficient as ER4S in the areas I mentioned earlier, it still surpasses most headphones I heard in those areas. Really, both are some of the best cans I ever tried and, as I wrote, both have their strengths and weaknesses compared to each other. Overall, ER4S does beat HD650 from a purely technical perspective IMO, and for me is the epitome of analytical no-frills monitoring sound with minimal coloration. HD650 is the epitome of musicality with its combination of somewhat colored, but highly seductive tonality, coupled with a sufficiently strong technical ability, with the result being a very involving, effortless listening experience.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #2,247 of 19,254
I think ER4S is better than HD650 in many technical aspects - the bass on the former is tighter and more defined, mids are more transparent, treble is much smoother and much more resolving, overall clarity is better, instrument separation is better, background between sounds is blacker with less grain/bleed, resulting in more focused imaging, and frequency response seems more accurate to my ears... HD650, on the other hand, has an edge in bass weight, soundstage size, imaging naturalness (due to the open back design giving the sound a more natural airy tone and allowing sounds to blend in more easily with the background) and dynamics. I will take HD650 over ER4S most of the time for dance, trance, rap, a lot of new age and ambient, orchestral, and, generally, for music where bass weight and/or soundstage and imaging naturalness are very important. ER4S, on the other hand, excels for small ensembles, including most jazz and acoustic music, electronic without much bass emphasis, a lot of guitar music (rock, blues...), a lot of pop, some classical... I do think HD650 is the better all arounder in the sense that it can reproduce pretty much any genre very well and doesn't really specialize in any particular genre(s). ER4S, on the other hand, is definitely more specialized IMO and sounds best with well recorded music that doesn't focus too much on low frequencies and doesn't require a large, airy soundstage to sound great. HD650 is far more forgiving than ER4S with poorly recorded tracks and while the former doesn't really hide much, it's not as aggressively resolving as the ER4S and won't make flaws stand out as much. Also, while HD650 is not as technically proficient as ER4S in the areas I mentioned earlier, it still surpasses most headphones I heard in those areas. Really, both are some of the best cans I ever tried and, as I wrote, both have their strengths and weaknesses compared to each other. Overall, ER4S does beat HD650 from a purely technical perspective IMO, and for me is the epitome of analytical no-frills monitoring sound with minimal coloration. HD650 is the epitome of musicality with its combination of somewhat colored, but highly seductive tonality, coupled with a sufficiently strong technical ability, with the result being a very involving, effortless listening experience.
Well said. I agree for the most part, but with just a little eq i don't think there's any genre the er4s doesn't excel at. Stock, yes the 650 trumps the er4s in low end for electronic, etc. eq, nit so much. Better bass impact, yes, quality... Not so sure. They're just different sounding bass due to the technologies. I'd choose the 600/650 in most cases if environmental noises and a few other things didn't matter. But the er4s has an almost silky quality the 600/650 lacks..,

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #2,248 of 19,254
Quote:
Well said. I agree for the most part, but with just a little eq i don't think there's any genre the er4s doesn't excel at. Stock, yes the 650 trumps the er4s in low end for electronic, etc. eq, nit so much. Better bass impact, yes, quality... Not so sure. They're just different sounding bass due to the technologies. I'd choose the 600/650 in most cases if environmental noises and a few other things didn't matter. But the er4s has an almost silky quality the 600/650 lacks..,

You guys do realize that the 600 and 650 sound quite different, despite being from the same family, right?

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #2,249 of 19,254
Hey all--longtime audio/video enthusiast, new member here.  Air Force pilot in Alaska, been part of the A/V/home theater industry for over a decade now.  Have used Etymotic ER-4P's for that long, and I'm on my third set now.  My second set just got damaged, and I had them repaired/replaced again with the third set, which has prompted me to delve even more into portable audio.  So I just sent Ray Samuels a check for an SR-71 amp and LOD cable, and I'm also waiting for my custom mold plugs to come back from the manufacturer.  Between those two things, it should take me to a whole new portable audio level.

I also just replaced my broken ER-6i's with Ety HF3's as backup earphones.

I do miss my original ER4-P set.  I actually preferred the slightly rubberized cord, and the all red and blue ear stems that made it easy to discern left and right to put them in the correct ears.  Now, if the light level is low in the room, I have a tough time seeing which one has the red dot for the right ear.  My original review on the ER-4P was listen on Ety's website back when, but they've move on to newer stuff.  I use my Etys constantly while travelling, whether it's me flying, or riding in back while somebody else flies.  Sometimes I'll even wear my Etys instead of earplugs while doing a walkaround inspection of the aircraft exterior, right next to running jet engines, which is quite a testament to the sound isolation.

Etymotic customer service has been top notch all along, as I've tried some different products, and had to have damaged products repaired/replaced.  (all out of warranty, too)  This most recent time around, they charged me more than they have in the past, but I don't necessarily expect them to be so generous every time.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #2,250 of 19,254
I've had the opposite experience. I'll probably never try customs again. Everything you said is the exact opposite for me. With how difficult it is to get the perfect fit, i think it is 99% likely i'd never come close with customs.

Then you might have had a bad earmold done. I am talking about custom tips, not custom earphones. And the material that's used to make the tips makes quite a bit of differences too. There're acrylic, vinyl, silicone, etc. Mine are heat activated vinyl tips from Westone. I got 2 pairs for the price of 1, and that's nice of Westone. I once had the JH16, and the fit on that was awful. So in regards to custom stuff, there're more variables that affect the fit, one of them being the craftsmanship of the person making the tips/CIEM.

The problem I have with normal tips, is that the opening of the tips often get constricted, affecting the treble quality a lot. The length and width of the opening affects the peak frequency, I read somewhere. All I can say for sure is, the sound from the stock triflange is noticeably worse than from the custom tips. 

I value comfort, so I prefer the custom tips. I could wear them for 4 to 5 hours without any problem. But with the stock triflange, 2 hours is the most before discomfort sets in.

I guess so. The only one that I will consider buying would be the K3003, but at 1300 the price is steep. I'd much rather pay save up that 1/3 to go for the SR-009. IMO, the TOTL cans are in another class altogether. There's a huge review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Also no offense, but it's rather impossible to get the exact same fit everytime. There's no way you can guarantee there's the same level of oil and humidity on the skin everytime. You could say it's very similar fit, but no way it can be exactly the same.

Edit: Like you I like vented drivers too. Those do sound a bit more natural. But I prefer to have it on headphones that I use at home. With IEM I just want isolation, comfort, and accuracy, in order of preference.

Quote:

No offense again but why would you want to EQ the flat response (assuming you get proper fit) of the ER4S to something that's non flat, except perhaps personal preference? With proper source and amp, I don't find the ER4S anemic. Even though it's true that the bass doesn't linger too long but it's not anemic to me. One will always feel the bass from headphones better just because they move magnitudes amount more air than tiny drivers in earphones. That's what bypassing the outer ear does (pinna and ear canal).

In fact, I find the low end from the ER4S rather linear. The low end from the HD600 rolls off from 50Hz downwards. Have you heard of planar dynamic/orthodynamic headphones? Bass from those headphones are what I call proper bass. If you like linear bass down infrasonic range, I think you might like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back