If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #2,011 of 19,246
Cracked open some new foam tips last night and let this FLAC song rip by Ane Brun with my Ety's. The detailing on her voice through the Studio V is almost breath taking.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbrpejk7ZrA[/VIDEO]

Ane Brun + ER4S + Studio V

Not far from the damn truth! Love my Ety's!

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #2,012 of 19,246
they really are 2 different IEMS. whatever the frequency response graph may tell, details are different, imaging is different, the f111 sounds almost smooth and warm if you ABx it to the er4.
the first thing I though when listening to the F111 was "omg it has nothing to do with an er4, those guys @ headfi are all on crack!"

in the end it comes down to what oneself is looking for:
3D sound, less fatiguing, no harshness, more and rounder bass= F111
more of a super wide axis of instruments, surgical separation, control and damping over 9000, sending reverb in the myth section, all the sounds even the nasty ones=er4

to me er4 is a monitor, the F111 is an enjoyable IEM that happens to have a pretty even sound signature ^_^  . saying who's best is a hard job.

Wow, thanks for the information. I've gone through the ue700, ck10 & eph-100 iems and preferred the TWFK BA because it presented better instrument separation, imaging, clarity, etc. so I think the er4 are the ones for me.

I could always apply eq to the er4 to suit my preferred sound signature.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #2,013 of 19,246
T
Wow, thanks for the information. I've gone through the ue700, ck10 & eph-100 iems and preferred the TWFK BA because it presented better instrument separation, imaging, clarity, etc. so I think the er4 are the ones for me.

I could always apply eq to the er4 to suit my preferred sound signature.
The way i see it is that every iem requires eq to be perfect. The er4s requires the least eq. :). But i'm dying to hear this f111 ;-P

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #2,015 of 19,246
From what I've read so far I don't think the F111 sounds as good as the ER4S. The F111 has more bass which intrudes into the midrange, rolled off treble, and inferior isolation.
Seems like the general consensus. There will probably be a lot of people that prefer them, but it sounds like anyone looking for utmost accuracy will prefer the er4s...

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #2,017 of 19,246
According to the measurements I've seen, both cut off at 18k.

But from the impressions i'm reading, the f111 drops off in the treble area, where the er4s is flatter all the way up... Whereas the er4s drops off in the sub bass where the f111 is flatter or maybe even boosted a tad...

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #2,018 of 19,246
But from the impressions i'm reading, the f111 drops off in the treble area, where the er4s is flatter all the way up... Whereas the er4s drops off in the sub bass where the f111 is flatter or maybe even boosted a tad...

SGS is saying that the F111's bandwidth goes to 18k. So it's possible to eq the drop off up to more audible levels. If it's bandwidth stopped at say 15k then this wouldn't be possible. I've had a good experience using a sine sweep to find out where exactly I hear drop in the F111's treble, and it turns out that's 9k for me. Should be anywhere from 8-10k depending on fit. If I eq above 9k into a sharp upward slope then I get a lot more air and treble emphasis, much better to my ears.

The F111 is boosted in the bass according to a DF target, but pretty spot on the O-W target.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #2,020 of 19,246
Quote:
Let's face it, the F111 (sonically) is a poor man's ER-4S and literally a basshead's phone.

I wouldn't say a basshead's phone. :p  Maybe a critical listener who prefers bass over perfect treble accuracy though....  Anyone want to send me a pair to sample? :wink: hehehe

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #2,021 of 19,246
Here's a few photos, because I'm a geek.  What can I say?  These two things made my trip so much more awesome...

Rockbox gives me the crazy eyes! Because it's so awesome.  (That's an 8gb clip zip with a 64gb card working flawlessly.  Roughly 72gb of awesome!)

A stupid meme for ER4S lovers. haha...

How I've been listening to the ER4S portably.  Clipped to my sling pack strap.  Very awesome.  Now I just need the cord wrapper to tidy up the excess cable...  For now I tucked it under the strap...

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,022 of 19,246
  I use ER4S with custom molds, Jan Meir Corda 2Stepdance, modded A&K100 or an imod 5.5 gen ipod. 
I love these IEMs, I travel a lot and rather not fly without them. Good bye screaming kids, talkative passengers and annoying others, no need for noise reduction distortion. I just insert these IEMs and I am off to the land of music. I red the LinkWitz Eq of 2.5kHz and 7.5kHz, a very subjective paper. I have played with the notch filtering a bit, and find that the 7.5kHz (A#8) does take some of the sharp highs down, but I don't find it is needed, for me it is only about 3dB high. I don't hear the 2.5kHz peak he talked about. I listen to AIF's, FLAC and lots of HD music, even after many years of use, I am still amazed at how wonderful these ER4S really are. I have also wrapped the cable over my ears and use the clip to reduct the microphonics, but I wish the cables were a bit shorter, softer and more flexible. I have wasted to much money and time on lesser IEMs and have concluded that my ER4S IEMs are all I need and want for my travels. I find that I even listen to them at home, as they compete for my us with a collection of many fine headphones. I find that I like them with a bit of cross feed filtering too, not to reduce fatigue but to just widen the stage moderately. I never use them without an amp, if they are not driven correctly they loose stage, presence and overall quality of sound, IMHO.  

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #2,024 of 19,246
Very interesting. I ordered a set of ER-4PT from AccessoryJack about a week ago. Very surprised to find a P-S adaptor in the package as well. I thought you had to buy to as a separate accessory?

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2,025 of 19,246
I got a fairly new ER4PT and have trouble removing the cable. It is incredibly stiff in comparison to my ER4S. I want to remove the cable so I can use my Westone adapter and Westone cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back