If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 5, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #2,041 of 19,252
So does the er6 at least give me a decent idea of the er4 sound? Or is the er4 head and shoulders above it?

I'm only asking because the er4p has jumped in price on amazon, and I'm having one hell of a time finding a pair used at a decent price, even on eBay.

The ER6i is somewhat close to the ER4P, and the ER6 is pretty close to the ER4S. The biggest difference imo is that the ER4 has better treble extension, which makes it sound more real to me. The difference is there, but it's hard to say if it's big enough for any one person. The difference in accuracy is big enough for me to always choose the ER4S.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #2,042 of 19,252
They er6 is going to have the sense of more bass, but they lack the treble extension of both the er4p and er4s.  They will be pretty close to the er4p in sound though.  The er4s is a step above both though in true treble quality, flatness, etc.  I recommend the 4s with red filters! :p  Or 4p with s adapter.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2,043 of 19,252
They er6 is going to have the sense of more bass, but they lack the treble extension of both the er4p and er4s.  They will be pretty close to the er4p in sound though.  The er4s is a step above both though in true treble quality, flatness, etc.  I recommend the 4s with red filters! :p  Or 4p with s adapter.

+1 and I want to point out that there's a pretty big difference between the ER6 and ER6i, which has even less treble extension than the ER4P. It might improve with added resistance, but I'm not positive about that.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #2,044 of 19,252
Ah, Okay.
So the ER6i isn't all that close, and the difference lies in treble extension.

Will the ER4p have less perceived bass then? I'm not hating the ER6i's bass.

Male vocals like Dave Mathews are sounding a bit dry to describe it best, but the sound stage on these ER6i are pretty good. I'm noticing that on really well recorded albums (latest daft punk, young the giant) when there is bass, the ER-6i can dish it out. On some of the older grunge though, like pearl jam, i'm missing some of the extension.

Also, where do you go about getting these red filters? I found some green ones on ebay, but they're pretty expensive

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #2,045 of 19,252
Ah, Okay.
So the ER6i isn't all that close, and the difference lies in treble extension.

Will the ER4p have less perceived bass then? I'm not hating the ER6i's bass.

Male vocals like Dave Mathews are sounding a bit dry to describe it best, but the sound stage on these ER6i are pretty good. I'm noticing that on really well recorded albums (latest daft punk, young the giant) when there is bass, the ER-6i can dish it out. On some of the older grunge though, like pearl jam, i'm missing some of the extension.

Also, where do you go about getting these red filters? I found some green ones on ebay, but they're pretty expensive

The ER4P will have less perceived bass but not by a lot. The mids are similar to the ER6i. The red filters are available only for the ER4. There's a lot of info about them in this thread, or you can search the forums for ER4 NRB mod. That thread has all the buying info you need.

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #2,046 of 19,252
The ER4P will have less perceived bass but not by a lot. The mids are similar to the ER6i. The red filters are available only for the ER4. There's a lot of info about them in this thread, or you can search the forums for ER4 NRB mod. That thread has all the buying info you need.
Yeah, the 6i have less treble than even the 4p. The daft punk cd sounds so good on the er4s with red filters though. Mmmm especially with my slight bass eq. :wink: get the er4s! Haha. Just my opinion. It does nothing but improve on the other two. And if you like them, most people seem to have them for 10+ years.

However, the other are more reference than most other earphones, so unless you're going for utmost accuracy you'll probably still like them...

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,047 of 19,252
Quote:
If you like the Ety sound, the LCD-2 and HD650 may not fit the bill. Perhaps a HE-6 and/or HE-500 might serve you better.

I actually find the er4s great only with well recorded vocals and live classical/rock. I am looking for a hp faster than the 650s but with more
bass than er4s. I found the lcd 2 bang on with computer processed songs e.g. electronica, new age classical

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2,048 of 19,252
Quote:
Finally found some tips that don't cause my ears to scream bloody murder when using the ER4B...

​
Klipsch largesmall double flange ovals... my savior! I hate you, ER38-18...​

Yes! These arrived today and the I'm amazed by the comfort compared to the stock tips. The sweetening of the upper treble previously measured by Rin is noticeable and sounds great on recordings with a lot of energy in those ranges:

Only downside is that the isolation is worse than stock gray triaflanges.

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #2,049 of 19,252
Yes! These arrived today and the I'm amazed by the comfort compared to the stock tips. The sweetening of the upper treble previously measured by Rin is noticeable and sounds great on recordings with a lot of energy in those ranges:

Only downside is that the isolation is worse than stock gray triaflanges.
Can you post a pic of those tips next to the large stock tips?

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,050 of 19,252
Quote:
Yeah, the 6i have less treble than even the 4p. The daft punk cd sounds so good on the er4s with red filters though. Mmmm especially with my slight bass eq. :wink: get the er4s! Haha. Just my opinion. It does nothing but improve on the other two. And if you like them, most people seem to have them for 10+ years.

However, the other are more reference than most other earphones, so unless you're going for utmost accuracy you'll probably still like them...

I can see that, I was just playing with my EQ app on my iphone... surprisingly more treble sounds better!
I wouldn't mind giving them a shot if i could find them used.

I'm thinking of trying to get the er4p, Only because i can add the resistor to hear the ER4S for something like $13.

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #2,051 of 19,252
I can see that, I was just playing with my EQ app on my iphone... surprisingly more treble sounds better!

I wouldn't mind giving them a shot if i could find them used.

I'm thinking of trying to get the er4p, Only because i can add the resistor to hear the ER4S for something like $13.
Yes. That is a good option if you don't mind always needing the adapter... Cause you'll never use them without it :wink: hehe

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=111136904200

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #2,052 of 19,252
Heh, fair enough.

I was looking to get one for around $150ish. I figure $220 used, I might as well hawk up the $20 extra and get them new so that I at least get the etymotic warranty. Which I'm hard pressed to do unless I sell a few things.

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2,053 of 19,252
Quote:
Heh, fair enough.

I was looking to get one for around $150ish. I figure $220 used, I might as well hawk up the $20 extra and get them new so that I at least get the etymotic warranty. Which I'm hard pressed to do unless I sell a few things.

Oh, I've never seen them less than 299 new online anywhere...  But I'm sure there's places if you know where to look or find a sale or discount code on some sites.  $220 is $80 less than etymotic sells them for new.  The er4p even sells around $180 average used.  So personally, I'd get the S before I get the P if I bought it used.

I completely understand if you can't afford it or simply have a budget in mind, but I will say this...  If it ends up being the earphone you keep a long time, the extra $100 even would be well worth it in my opinion.  If you don't keep it, just hold onto the packaging and everything and you can sell it for a large portion of what you paid for it...

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2,055 of 19,252
I recently got the hf3 headset thinking i needed the mic and track controls but i really never use them... curious how it compares to the ER4 and the similarly priced hf5 which has no mic?  I also got the custom fit plugs for them, would they work on the other models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back