If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 12, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #931 of 19,246
i read ljokerl that you can wear ER4P over the ear, but i still cant manage to do it. Anyone can give me some suggestion? Also, i cant get used to the tips it came with, i miss comply tips that i have with other IEM. Not sure should I just order Comply P series or give shure olive a try.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #934 of 19,246
Quote:
i read ljokerl that you can wear ER4P over the ear, but i still cant manage to do it. Anyone can give me some suggestion? Also, i cant get used to the tips it came with, i miss comply tips that i have with other IEM. Not sure should I just order Comply P series or give shure olive a try.

I made myself a cable slider with tapes (which doesn't slide at all) to hold the cables right under my chin. It's fine for me but I can see if people don't feel comfortable with it.

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #935 of 19,246
Add me to the club for ER-4S :wink:

They're not difficult to wear over the ear, but you may look alien when it comes to style if you're using them outdoors. First I strap the cable up around my ears then I insert with the bottom cable (the red/blue plug which usually go downward) upside down (now facing upward). Definitely increased comfort too. I prefer the included olive tips (not sure they're called shure olives?), but ACS customs may be on the horizon.

Edit: I forgot to ask. I was looking for longer cables for these. Is it possible without taking from the sound? I use them in the studio and it's difficult to maneuver around the desk without pulling on the plug to the extent they could fall out. Thanks.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #936 of 19,246
Quote:

Edit: I forgot to ask. I was looking for longer cables for these. Is it possible without taking from the sound? I use them in the studio and it's difficult to maneuver around the desk without pulling on the plug to the extent they could fall out. Thanks.

Congrats on the ER-4!  I have a 3-4 foot headphone extension cable I use at home with my ER-4P -- about $5 from Amazon.com, and can't hear any loss of signal or detail.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #937 of 19,246
I use mine over the ear myself with connectors/cable pointing up when inserted into the ear. much better for me as they seem more comfortable gravity not pulling down, also helps with microphonics

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #938 of 19,246
I guess I'm not understanding the need to wear the ER4 over the ears instead of in the normal down position.  I have a shirt-clip to hold them in place and prevent any sense of pulling down.  Is that the main reason for wanting them over the ears?  If so, you can probably find a shirt clip on ebay or somewhere.  I actually am using a clip from a different earphone that I have attached to the ER4 with a short bit of black twisty-tie.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #939 of 19,246
Quote:
I guess I'm not understanding the need to wear the ER4 over the ears instead of in the normal down position.  I have a shirt-clip to hold them in place and prevent any sense of pulling down.  Is that the main reason for wanting them over the ears?  If so, you can probably find a shirt clip on ebay or somewhere.  I actually am using a clip from a different earphone that I have attached to the ER4 with a short bit of black twisty-tie.

It reduces the microphonics a lot, almost makes it non existent.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #940 of 19,246
Quote:

Same here, I guess it depends on different ear' shapes. I just cant wear any IEM over the ear. Same can be said of the headphones you were supposed to wear the band behind the neck, it was torture for me.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #941 of 19,246
Quote:

Over the ear does improve the comfort level especially when you are moving around a bit, and it reduces microphonics a lot

Quote:

They're not difficult to wear over the ear, but you may look alien when it comes to style if you're using them outdoors. First I strap the cable up around my ears then I insert with the bottom cable (the red/blue plug which usually go downward) upside down (now facing upward). Definitely increased comfort too. I prefer the included olive tips (not sure they're called shure olives?), but ACS customs may be on the horizon.

Will follow ur suggestion tonite when i am alone, need a mirror to make sure i dont look too silly :p

Quote:
Same here, I guess it depends on different ear' shapes. I just cant wear any IEM over the ear. Same can be said of the headphones you were supposed to wear the band behind the neck, it was torture for me.

Probably is our ear shape, probably some IEM are easier to go over the ear than others. I cant get my Soundmagic E30 to stay in place, but my Brainwavz R1 is extremely comfortable over the ears. Both of which are using comply tips, i have my comply P on order, hopefully that will help.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #942 of 19,246
Anyone know where to get double flange for these? Will those from ER6 work?

I tried the double flange from my TDK BA200 and the comfort was superb. SQ is not far behind from the 'ear glider' tip which till date is still the best sounding tip I have tried so far. Had some comfort issue with it as well as I dislike that fact that it, like all comply tips, has a limited lifespan.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #943 of 19,246
Quote:
Anyone know where to get double flange for these? Will those from ER6 work?

I tried the double flange from my TDK BA200 and the comfort was superb. SQ is not far behind from the 'ear glider' tip which till date is still the best sounding tip I have tried so far. Had some comfort issue with it as well as I dislike that fact that it, like all comply tips, has a limited lifespan.

My best results were from cutting the end of the ety triple flange to make a double flange. It's perfect. I tried the klipsh double flange ovals and even the large was too small, and I don't have big ears. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #944 of 19,246
Tried the cutting Double flange trick, but now regretting it, Sorry just not for me. My ear shape I guess. 
I bought some triple flange from Amazon, but noticed there just not like the originals, quality was not as good.
I would dearly love to get custom molded tips then everything will be great ..Fit / Sound.
On a side note ...How would one be able to get another cable done for these? I mean Aftermarket one? I know APS used to make one but they no longer reliable......Is there anything special needed? I want to make my P into S via cable?.....f not possible then P cable but aftermarket, without getting those adapters from eBay?

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #945 of 19,246
Quote:
Tried the cutting Double flange trick, but now regretting it, Sorry just not for me. My ear shape I guess. 
I bought some triple flange from Amazon, but noticed there just not like the originals, quality was not as good.
I would dearly love to get custom molded tips then everything will be great ..Fit / Sound.
On a side note ...How would one be able to get another cable done for these? I mean Aftermarket one? I know APS used to make one but they no longer reliable......Is there anything special needed? I want to make my P into S via cable?.....f not possible then P cable but aftermarket, without getting those adapters from eBay?

Agree, that is why I use the shures one, great quality :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back