If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 9, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #706 of 19,251
Quote:
Just in case you dont know, the ety black foam plugs are not memory foam like the Comply or Shure foam. The black foam is more open cell type.

Yes! And that's exactly why I like them better than comply foam tips. 
normal_smile .gif
 (+ they isolate better I think!)

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #707 of 19,251
Quote:
Try just eBay.com

I have been searching on eBay as well. But I am only able to find American sellers of the black foam tips. No European sellers....

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #709 of 19,251
Quote:
Does anyone know how the ER-4 compares with the Heir 4Ai?

I am used to the ER-4S and tried the 4A.i at a meet. The signatures are much like eachother but the 4A.i are more open sounding and more dynamic and forward. In a direct comparison the 4A.i has more X-factor but I decided not to part with my ER-4S though because I thought they had the same satisfaction to me and the same level of detail retrieval.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #710 of 19,251
I am used to the ER-4S and tried the 4A.i at a meet. The signatures are much like eachother but the 4A.i are more open sounding and more dynamic and forward. In a direct comparison the 4A.i has more X-factor but I decided not to part with my ER-4S though because I thought they had the same satisfaction to me and the same level of detail retrieval.

I'm at this point in decisions but haven't heard the 4Ai. I'd like to get a bit more bass and decay weight. I love the 4s (now broken) but I don't like carrying a portable amp to get the most out of them.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #711 of 19,251
I also feel that the 4.Ai and ER4 are very very similar, however the ER4 have a slight edge in clarity and details in the highs. This may be due to the recently, and heavily discussed 4K dip in the 4.Ai, which favors smoothness over clarity to provide a listening experience that is much less fatiguing than the Etys. So if you need every single ounce of clarity, the ER4 is your choice, but they do get tiring and sound a little harsh, to my ears of course.

Also, forgot to mention that the 4.Ai provides a much more suitable bass response. It is still fast and punchy like the ER4 but the quantity is greatly increased so they are no longer the cold Ety signature, but on the warmer side of neutral.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #713 of 19,251
Quote:
I'm at this point in decisions but haven't heard the 4Ai. I'd like to get a bit more bass and decay weight. I love the 4s (now broken) but I don't like carrying a portable amp to get the most out of them.

When you say broken - do you mean one of the speakers doesn't work?

The reason I say that is, I thought mine were broken and let them sit for 2 years. I heard no sound at all out of one of them. I read that someone else had the same problem and it was just a clogged filter. Replaced the filter and worked like a charm.

Seems kind of dumb in retrospect, but I didn't think a clogged filter would eliminate the sound entirely.

Just an FYI in case that's what the problem is

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #714 of 19,251
Quote:
Does anyone know how the ER-4 compares with the Heir 4Ai?

I have them both and will probably let the Heir 4.Ai go (got the 4.Ai with intend to replace my ER4) mainly to my preference in music (I like female vocals) in which ER4 is what you would probably call marginally but still quite noticable better, especially in the highs.

Finding ER4 to have a clearer sound and being more natural in the sound (timbre? sry english isn't my 1st language) compared to the 4.Ai. On the other hand 4.Ai often sound better with newer pop music and more bass-centric music due to generally being a bit warmer and having more bass quantity.

I find them to be quite different and don't think that one exactly remind me of the other when listening to them tbh. 

All only imo of course and hey I am also a fanboy when it comes to the highs of the ER4 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #715 of 19,251
I have them both and will probably let the Heir 4.Ai go (got the 4.Ai with intend to replace my ER4) mainly to my preference in music (I like female vocals) in which ER4 is what you would probably call marginally but still quite noticable better, especially in the highs.

Finding ER4 to have a clearer sound and being more natural in the sound (timbre? sry english isn't my 1st language) compared to the 4.Ai. On the other hand 4.Ai often sound better with newer pop music and more bass-centric music due to generally being a bit warmer and having more bass quantity.

I find them to be quite different and don't think that one exactly remind me of the other when listening to them tbh. 

All only imo of course and hey I am also a fanboy when it comes to the highs of the ER4 
normal_smile%20.gif

I agree with you. And above all I find er4 to be more open and airy, better clarity all over the fr.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #717 of 19,251
I recently tested the 4.Ai vs. my ety4, expecting them to be similar but with more warmth and bass, but was surprised at how different they were from the etys.
They are nothing alike; a totally different sound.  The 4.Ai does not have the articulate crisp detail of the ety.  They are warmer, more rounded, punchy and lively, but the sound seems more smeared.  The heir 4.Ai and the ety 4 sound signatures have nothing in common.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #718 of 19,251
I recently tested the 4.Ai vs. my ety4, expecting them to be similar but with more warmth and bass, but was surprised at how different they were from the etys.
They are nothing alike; a totally different sound.  The 4.Ai does not have the articulate crisp detail of the ety.  They are warmer, more rounded, punchy and lively, but the sound seems more smeared.  The heir 4.Ai and the ety 4 sound signatures have nothing in common.

It's funny you use the word "smeared." I got that same impression with another multi driver iem, the UERM. I think there's something incoherent about multiple drivers that is audible.

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #719 of 19,251
Quote:

The frequency charts are very similar iirc. You're one of the only people I've heard say they sound nothing alike.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #720 of 19,251
The frequency charts are very similar iirc. You're one of the only people I've heard say they sound nothing alike.

Their charts are pretty different actually. There is a sizable bass boost on the 4.ai and the treble of the ER4S is more extended. Also etymotic mids are flat throughout.

Edit: er4 graph here: http://www.headphone.com/headphones/etymotic-er-4s.php

And 4.ai graph here: http://i.imgur.com/ExbSF.jpg

Also I don't think the er4 graph is compensated the same way. Maybe someone can chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back