If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #617 of 19,198
The ER-4 cable is not designed to be switched about by the consumer. It is a factory serviceable item only. The headset can very easily be damaged by an end user removing the cable.

The design of the ER-4 is to be worn cable down... Why is that so hard for users to accept? In the cable down form of wearing it, the angles are perfect. As a matter of fact, they have been perfect for over twenty years now. Never the less, I am curious as to what their answer will be.

Keep us posted, Jim

That's a really good point.  I'll have to ask them about that.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #618 of 19,198
By who's design?

The filter manufacturer? Or the filter reseller?

Thanks, Jim

Yes, however that's by design.  The removal tool is just a screw that works like a corkscrew:

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #619 of 19,198
Quote:
The ER-4 cable is not designed to be switched about by the consumer. It is a factory serviceable item only. The headset can very easily be damaged by an end user removing the cable.

I've removed and replace the cable just fine.  Lots of IEMs use the 2-pin connector.  It's not a big deal if done carefully.

Quote:
The design of the ER-4 is to be worn cable down... Why is that so hard for users to accept?

If I have the cable pointed down the cable microphonics are unbearable, and this is just when sitting at the desk.  Over the ear reduces this very well. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #621 of 19,198
Quote:
Etymotic use  a Zwislocki coupler, a very fine piece for measuring. The accuracy of the Etymotics line-up has also been highly re-approved by 3rd parties throughout, matter of fact they're used as a reference most in most cases. It's still not without it's controversies but it's still very very accurate, no doubt.

Maybe I hear differently from a machine. What a shocker.

To my ears, it's one of the most neutral set-ups I've ever heard, will be surprised if the 4.A can at least be on par (which I will know soon). 

The 4.Ai, you mean. The 4.A, to my ears, is a very different beast.

The 4.Ai won't be on par, for you; you've already decided. But I was made aware of the fact before I included you in the tour, so that's okay.

I know with really long tips or a more shallow insertion the treble can become uneven. 

I use a very deep insertion. I can insert the HF5 and ER4 (I tried the B, S, and P models, by the way) until even part of the stress relief disappears in my ear canals.

That's a poor test to try out frequency response, try a good old frequency sweep, this one is odd then again it's not meant to do a test such as this. 

It's perfect from the job, actually -- even if you don't like the results.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #622 of 19,198
I'm not sure what a phrase like this is supposed to mean. It's like growing up thinking your blood type is AB, having your blood drawn and tested and it turns out it's type O, and saying "it still feels like type AB to me, deal with it".

Quote:

Maybe I hear differently from a machine. What a shocker.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #623 of 19,198
Quote:
I'm not sure what a phrase like this is supposed to mean. It's like growing up thinking your blood type is AB, having your blood drawn and tested and it turns out it's type O, and saying "it still feels like type AB to me, deal with it".

What an utterly ridiculous comparison.

I depend on my hearing, so I have it examined regularly. Here's the relevant part of my latest results from the national hospital:

That's far less than the variations in volume I hear from the HF5 over the same frequency range.

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #624 of 19,198
Yes, 4ai

Haven't made the decision yet, it shouldn't be a shocker I have a presumption, all the people in the tour do some just don't voice as much as others. If the results are there it will show, I am open to that. I didn't expect the R50 to as good as it, can admit things change.

If you think the MG7 is more accurate than the Hf5 oh well, it's a shocker to me and I do feel something is just not right that's my opinion of it. Gnarlsagan did the test on his Er6 and he saw even treble results and I know for a fact the HFs have less treble.

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #625 of 19,198
You certainly don't understand my point... and I suppose that's how you have this viewpoint in this first place.

Quote:

What an utterly ridiculous comparison.

I depend on my hearing, so I have it examined regularly. Here's the relevant part of my latest results from the national hospital:

That's far less than the variations in volume I hear from the HF5 over the same frequency range.

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #626 of 19,198
Quote:
If you think the MG7 is more accurate than the Hf5 

Actually, I don't. I do find the MG7's frequency response more even than the hf5's, but the hf5 beats the MG7 on speed (easily), decay (in most instances), timbre (or so I seem to remember), and high-end extension (I cannot hear up to 16 kHz with the MG7; I can with the hf5). After you've had time to experience the 4.Ai and 3.Ai, read my own review; I mention the hf5, the ER-4 (B, S, and P), and the MG7, among others.

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #627 of 19,198
Hi, I want to offer my apologies in advance if I'm posting this question in the wrong section. I've searched, but too many results were returned. The first 100 of which didn't answer my query.

Which is;

I need to replace the 3.5mm jack plug on the lead for my Etymotic ER4P's. After removing the old jack plug, I have discovered the lead has an outer shield and 3 conductors, red white and black. I presume the red is the right channel. But what is the left channel? White or black?

I want to be 100% sure before I start soldering.

Many thanks. Anil

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #628 of 19,198
An ohm meter is your friend.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Jim
Quote:
Hi, I want to offer my apologies in advance if I'm posting this question in the wrong section. I've searched, but too many results were returned. The first 100 of which didn't answer my query.

Which is;

I need to replace the 3.5mm jack plug on the lead for my Etymotic ER4P's. After removing the old jack plug, I have discovered the lead has an outer shield and 3 conductors, red white and black. I presume the red is the right channel. But what is the left channel? White or black?

Many thanks. Anil

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #629 of 19,198
Or just do a continuity test with a multimeter. Continuity will only be found between L and G, and R and G, unless the cable is severely damaged and shorting everywhere. I can help you further by PM if you don't have tools.

Quote:

Which is;

Many thanks. Anil

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #630 of 19,198
Great Answer SoundStige...

You are The Man!!!

Thanks for being a Great Member.

Jim

Or just do a continuity test with a multimeter. Continuity will only be found between L and G, and R and G, unless the cable is severely damaged and shorting everywhere. I can help you further by PM if you don't have tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back