If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #646 of 19,251
Oct 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #648 of 19,251
Quote:
^ Why not try to vent the tip? Should be easier imo and non-destructive to the IEMs. FAD use vented tips for their 1601 models.

I thought about it, but I wasn't sure if it would make much of a difference, or where to put the hole.

Where's the vent on the 1601 tip?

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #649 of 19,251
you might want to get customs. I think it might have more to do with the position of the driver in the ear when the seal is broken as opposed to any venting. I could be wrong, but I don't see how a broken seal would help the sound.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #650 of 19,251
I don't really think it's the driver, as this doesn't happen with non-vacuum iems. It's more a matter of airflow.

In my left ear, there's high pressure between the driver and my eardrum, which I think impacts the movement of both. Removing this pressure (via venting) will allow for better flexing of my eardrum.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #651 of 19,251
Quote:
Pull the top of your ear back and towards your skull as you insert the IEM.

Or try pulling the ear straight out, up and away from your skull as you insert the IEM. This should open the earl canal and allow you to insert the earpiece without cramming air pressure inside. 

Also, I don't think you mentioned what tips you're using?

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #652 of 19,251
Quote:
Or try pulling the ear straight out, up and away from your skull as you insert the IEM. This should open the earl canal and allow you to insert the earpiece without cramming air pressure inside. 

Also, I don't think you mentioned what tips you're using?

I'm using the standard clear triples.

I've found that inserting using a twisting motion helps a lot. I'll look into venting the tips.

Well I found this on DFKT's review of James' 1601.

_MG_8730.jpg

I don't think I have the skills or tools to do that, so I'll just wing it. I'll posts results later, for better or worse.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #654 of 19,251
Yes, foam. The reason they could solve the vacuum issue is having squashed the foam before insertion and they expand to seal, so it's not like pushing something deep straight in that could catch some air. I am using Shure olives on my HF3's. At some point I might try the triple flange again, but these are just so comfortable. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #656 of 19,251
Ok, so I got out my swiss army knife,and tried to place strategic holes in the triples...no dice. So, I just decided to go to town of the tips. The holes aren't even large (or visible), but they made no difference.

I looked in my tip drawer and found one pair of Shure Olives left over from my SE215 days, and followed the advice to squish them before inserting. It works well enough, except that I have very stuffed-feeling canals now. It's worth it now that I'm getting balanced sound. 

Thanks for the advice guys. You saved my warranty.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #657 of 19,251
If you don't have the small olives, maybe it's a good idea to get them. Less stuffed feeling than medium or the humungous large ones. 
eek.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #658 of 19,251
Can I delete a double post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back