If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #556 of 19,246
Quote:

Hmm, are the stock cables really that bad? I do prefer over-ear, so this is definitely an option. And for the UE cables, did you choose the before or after 2010 cables?

Not if you use the shirt clip

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #558 of 19,246
If they're the same cables as the hf5 then yes the ER4S cables are bad. Maybe a mod like the one on this eq5 could help reduce microphonics with an over-ear fit? 

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #560 of 19,246
The HF5/3 cables are different than all the ER4 cables, but they are shared with the MC series cables. I personally don't have a problem with this cable, maybe it's memory properties a bit. 

ER4P-PT cables are okay just a little long.

ER4S/B cable is horrible for portable use, far too long and bulky. 

Awman adapter plus the cable of your choice sounds like a very nice option, specially if you enjoy the benefits of an over the ear fit. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #561 of 19,246
Quote:

Not with the ER4, alas. The angle of the strain relief doesn't allow it:

Quote:

I must disagree
etysmile.gif
   - using tri-flange

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #562 of 19,246
Hi, I have a pair of ER4P's, and I was thinking of buying the adapters to convert them to ER4S's. My only concern is the increase in impedance will mean that my iPod will no longer be able to drive them to my normal levels. I have a decent portable head phone amp. But I only use it when I'm travelling, it's too cumbersome for being a daily driver.

I appreciate volume levels is a subjective thing, but does going to ER4S mean a 50% drop in volume level for the same power output?

Many thanks. Anil K Solanki

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #563 of 19,246
IMO if you are not going to amp them, don't bother getting the "s". Just stick with the "p".

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #565 of 19,246
Get an adapter to experiment; it's only, what, $10-20? No problem -- but it will be harder to drive out of your iPod when using the adapter.
Quote:
Hi, I have a pair of ER4P's, and I was thinking of buying the adapters to convert them to ER4S's. My only concern is the increase in impedance will mean that my iPod will no longer be able to drive them to my normal levels. I have a decent portable head phone amp. But I only use it when I'm travelling, it's too cumbersome for being a daily driver.

I appreciate volume levels is a subjective thing, but does going to ER4S mean a 50% drop in volume level for the same power output?

Many thanks. Anil K Solanki

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #566 of 19,246
Hi soundstige, I live in Italy, and Etymotic want $30 for shipping plus the $49 for the adapter, so that's $70. Which is basically, a mini head phone extension with an in-line resistor, right?

The adapter would be ideal for me, because I could leave it connected to my amp. Where have you seen one for $10-20?

My apologies for the newbie questions. I have had my ER4P's nearly 10 years and never needed any help until now. And in the process I discovered this ER4P community. Cool.

Thanks. Anil

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #567 of 19,246
Oct 1, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #569 of 19,246
Oct 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #570 of 19,246
Quote:
I must disagree 
etysmile.gif
   - using tri-flange

Thanks for the pic!

The cable goes in the opposite direction from your head, though: You have to bring it back more than 90 degrees to tuck it behind your ear. If that's what you consider an over-the-ear-friendly design, then there's no IEM that doesn't qualify. How secure can such a fit be? Doesn't the cable get dislodged easily when you're on the go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back