If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #526 of 19,248
Congrats...

And, Welcome to my World.

Jim
Quote:
I officially got my first pair of ER4S today. These mark my first time listening to ER4, after a long love affair with the HF5 and related models. I'm really shocked how big of a difference there is in quality between the HF5 and ER4. The higher price for the ER4 is totally warranted if you feel the HF5 is properly priced at around $100. Amazing quality.

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #527 of 19,248
My first pair of 4s were bought about 12 years ago while flying a lot. They are still belting out their quality sound. But the things are getting old and I was being romanced by these new IEMs. The cable is spliced and the red/blue strains are falling apart so about time to buy a new pair. I just can't part with the sound so I guess it's time to have a custom mold made for a new 4s and quit looking for better. I too typically use just a PDP but the Xin Macro has bass boost that's perfect for them.

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #528 of 19,248
Quote:
^ Congratulations!
etysmile.gif
Yes, there is a pretty significant difference between the two even though they share the same sound characteristics. Are you amping them? That will also take things up a level.

Not amping them yet, I can't wait for even more goodness to be squished out of the drivers!

Quote:
Congrats...

And, Welcome to my World.

Jim

It's easy to see how someone could go off on a tangent about the ER4 series. I can't believe they're one of the first in-ear designs, and still one of the best-sounding in all of history.

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #529 of 19,248
Quote:
Shure Tip Part Numbers...

Small: EABKF1-10S or PA910S
Medium: EABKF1-10M or PA910M
Large: EABKF1-10L or PA910L

Be very careful with the Shure Foam Tips. The barrel is very tacky and has cracked the Ety sound tube. This could happen with any IEM or Tip though. I use a twisting motion.

Enjoy, Jim

Thanks for the info. So you're saying there is no difference between the two part numbers? I just ordered the PA910 in a size small. The medium complys are a little too big for my ears so I'm hoping the small olives will do the trick.

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #530 of 19,248
Old Part Number vs New Part Number.

Jim

Thanks for the info. So you're saying there is no difference between the two part numbers? I just ordered the PA910 in a size small. The medium complys are a little too big for my ears so I'm hoping the small olives will do the trick.

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #531 of 19,248
I love mine.

I just upgraded to a westone ES cable with the adaptors off ebay.

Since I had some custom molds made by ACS they have been super comfortable, but they protruded a lot from the ear. This made them hugely microphonic and annoying to use. With the new cable run over the back of my ears, this problem is very reduced. It was an expensive upgrade ($90) but it has made my ER4s even more awesome. I recommend it.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #532 of 19,248
I opted for those westone adapters and a $30 Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors replacement cable. For 30 bucks, I haven't seen a better cable out there.

You can snag one here: http://ultimateears.logitech.com/en-us/ue/custom-in-ear-monitors/accessories

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #533 of 19,248
Quote:
Not amping them yet

Do it.  I highly recommend an amp with a gain switch otherwise the volume range will be too limited due to loudness.  I use mine with iBasso D10, Headroom Ultra Desktop, Benchmark DAC1Pre, and CEntrance DACMini.   Only the DACMini lacks a gain switch and it's the only amp I don't like with IEMs.

Quote:

I can't believe they're one of the first in-ear designs, and still one of the best-sounding in all of history.

I'm constantly amazed by this.  I've listened to many headphones and these remain my gold standard.  Every time a new $$$ IEM is released I think about buying it but at the same time I am very reluctant to believe that the sound quality of the ER4s can be significantly improved upon.

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #534 of 19,248
Just got an er6 and am very surprised at the sound quality. It is clearly the most technically correct iem I've heard (I haven't heard an er4s). It lacks sub-bass rumble but clearly makes up for it with accuracy in bass note definition. It fixes the slightly bright tonality of the DBA-02 while retaining extended treble response.

I'll still enjoy the GR07 for a more (subjective alert) live sounding listening experience (moar bass), but the er6 definitely makes me feel as though I'm in a studio with reference equipment. It's very impressive how even sounding the FR is, giving every sound equal representation.

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #535 of 19,248
That's exactly how I feel about those, congrats. Just use tips that aren't too short or too big big of a bore and the treble is smooth and extended.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #536 of 19,248
That's exactly how I feel about those, congrats. Just use tips that aren't too short or too big big of a bore and the treble is smooth and extended.

I'm using the small bi-flanges and getting a pretty deep fit. Almost too deep actually. I'd like to try different tips but they seem hard to come by.

Also I was wondering what the difference is between the ER4 and the Er6 pertaining to the sound signature. Can anyone help out with some impressions ?

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #537 of 19,248
Wow. Been using the small shure olives for the past few days and they are definitely the best tips available for my ER4. I've been in and out of airports and planes this week and the isolation coupled with beautiful sound has been a lifesaver. I took them out of my ears for a few seconds on one of the planes and almost died. I couldn't believe how noisy it was in there and how many crying babies I was blocking out. I need to get a pair of these for my dad because he travels/flies a ton.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #538 of 19,248
Quote:
Also I was wondering what the difference is between the ER4 and the Er6 pertaining to the sound signature. Can anyone help out with some impressions ?

I've only heard the ER6 once, several years ago, and I would consider it an introduction to the Ety BA house sound -- similar, but not near the detail and cohesiveness of the ER4.  HF5 comes closer, but still there is a refinement in the ER4 that is just superb.

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #539 of 19,248
I think you're referring to the ER6i, ER6 is tuned to sound like the ER4S with higher sensitivity. IME it does sound close to its performance with a bit less treble extension but a bit more bass depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back