If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #496 of 19,246
Either Comply Foam site will work.

Comply Foam . Com = Consumer Grade

Comply Foam Pro . Com = Industrial Grade

The P-Series foams are the same inner core diameter as the T100 Series. So any P-Series will work with current Etymotic IEMs.

Both sites will list foam dimensions.

Cheers, Jim

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #498 of 19,246
Anybody consider having these reshelled? I was curious as to whether it was possible.

[=http://stage93.com/solo-reshell/][/]

Would like a cleaner over the ear fit and the price is relatively cheap considering...

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #502 of 19,246
Sep 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #504 of 19,246
Quote:
From the nozzle or from the ear?

From the nozzle, for cleaning purposes.

Thanks. I've got the custom tips, was look for a better way to have the cables run over the ears and not have the barrels protrude ( in this case, eliminated by being reshelled).

If only Etymotic offered a version of their ER4 cable with 90° instead of 45° strain reliefs! Then wearing it over the ears would be very possible. From experience, the strain reliefs of the HF5 are better suited to this task, even if not quite ideal.

[Edit:] Oh, look what I've found here on Head-Fi! And then here!

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #505 of 19,246
I contacted "A Pure Sound" for recabling last February. They can do the 90 degree plug as well. Unfortunately, I never heard back from them after placing an order and several subsequent emails. For what it was going to cost, I wasn't about to beg them to take my business...

I love the sound signature of these IEMs, hate the ergonomics. The custom tips are great, but with the 45 degree plug, it's difficult to wear over the ear. I honestly don't know why ER doesn't offer a custom shell. Seems like they would realize a huge surge in product sales.

I was hoping that reshelling might be a good alternative.

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #506 of 19,246
Quote:
Anybody consider having these reshelled? I was curious as to whether it was possible.
[=http://stage93.com/solo-reshell/][/]
Would like a cleaner over the ear fit and the price is relatively cheap considering...

I had mine reshelled at Rooth. Unique Melody also provides ER-4 reshelling.
Fit and build quality is pretty good, by the way.

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #508 of 19,246
Looks like I've almost worn out my current foam tips that came with my etys, which is unfortunate, because I'm residing in a place with the slowest postal service ever - Russia.
Surprisingly I got my hands on some tips for the ER4 in a local store. Actually they are supposed to be Etymotics own foam tips - labeled ER4-14F. I'm a bit worried - Etymotics website has got no notice of them (only ER38-14F), the foam is very soft and expands in a matter of seconds, which gives me a loose fit. And another thing: the canal is very stiff and small - I managed to force the IEM in, but I'm afraid to damage my earphones.

Can anyone tell me, if its ok to use them? Or should I use my old ones for a couple of weeks till my Complys arrive?

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #509 of 19,246
Quote:
Looks like I've almost worn out my current foam tips that came with my etys, which is unfortunate, because I'm residing in a place with the slowest postal service ever - Russia.
Surprisingly I got my hands on some tips for the ER4 in a local store. Actually they are supposed to be Etymotics own foam tips - labeled ER4-14F. I'm a bit worried - Etymotics website has got no notice of them (only ER38-14F), the foam is very soft and expands in a matter of seconds, which gives me a loose fit. And another thing: the canal is very stiff and small - I managed to force the IEM in, but I'm afraid to damage my earphones.

Can anyone tell me, if its ok to use them? Or should I use my old ones for a couple of weeks till my Complys arrive?

I bought some foam tips direct from Ety a while ago (a couple years) and on the ETY bag label is "ER4-14F: (14) Foam Eartips". They are dark gray foam tips.

They're the ones I use. Yes, the tubes fit really tight on my ER-4S's, but they do fit. They are also hard to get off, but I have been putting them on and taking them off a lot lately since I am experimenting with different dampers/filters.

So, I think you are good to go. Just be as gentle as you can taking the tips off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back