If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #481 of 19,246
I have enjoyed my Etys for five years now. A big improvement was getting custom fit ear molds done by an audiologist. This was done at the same time as when I had Musician Ear plug molds made. I really do love these IEMs. My biggest complaints are the straight barrels stick out so far, ER really should redesign these so they are flush like all the newer IEMs. Also, while I can get the wires to stay reasonably well over the ear, again I'd love to see a design like newer IEMs. I definitely can't fault them for sound, which is why I haven't strayed. Something to be said for their simplicity.

Quick question for you...

Is it the custom mold ear tips that make them stick out?

Thanks, Jim

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #485 of 19,246
Regarding microphonics, yes i use the shirt clip. What works best for me is to turn the barrels so that the ends of the cables are pointing up. Then I wrap the cable over the top of my ear and drop them behind my neck. Also, I put about ten braids in the cable from the yoke where the cable splits. This helps to take up extra slack so that I don't have a bunch of wire loose behind my head. Lastly, I attached the shirt clip to my collar (in back). Often times I will also run the cable through my shirt because once I got snagged on a door handle.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #487 of 19,246
Quote:
The barrels appear to be set deeper in the ear with the custom eartips.

I must disagree
etysmile.gif
   - using tri-flange

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #490 of 19,246
Yeah, wearing the stock cable over my ears like that is really awkward. I like my setup with the westone adapters and UERM cable, but they stick out of my ears rather far. I've yet to find a good solution that addresses all the typical ER4 nitpicks =/

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #491 of 19,246
Yes, my tri-flanges sit very deep. Especially since the "large" seem to fit like the old medium. It's really a struggle for me to get a seal. I need new tips!

-sheldon

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #492 of 19,246
Quote:
Yes, my tri-flanges sit very deep. Especially since the "large" seem to fit like the old medium. It's really a struggle for me to get a seal. I need new tips!

-sheldon

Have a look at the www.complyfoampro.com website.

Look up the P-Series tips.

Good Stuff, Jim

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #493 of 19,246
Quote:
Have a look at the www.complyfoampro.com website.

Look up the P-Series tips.

Good Stuff, Jim

I'll probably pick some of these up when I get my HF5's replaced. It doesn't look like Ety is in their main menu. Which brand fits?

Thanks Jim!

-sheldon

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #494 of 19,246
I believe that's the incorrect link. You want www.complyfoam.com

But you can get them off Amazon with free 2-day shipping if you're into that sorta thing. I have prime so I always try to use Amazon.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #495 of 19,246
The original canal tips do fit the Ety's and i use them because they offer a large size, but they are made for military use (hence the "pro" link) and Ety will not recommend them for home use.

On Comply's regular website, The T-100 is the choice for most people, and the P-Series is larger for those with bigger ear canals or seeking a tighter, deeper seal.

They offer a variety of sizes, and It can take some trial and error to get the best fit. They have great customer service so give them a call, they'll work with you.

Yes, I'm a fan... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back