If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 16, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #241 of 19,251
The resistor is in the cable for the ER4S?  Meaning, if I were to recable them using a 3rd party connector like the Westone ES ones sold on ebay I could actually turn them into an ER4P?  Just trying to verify if the only difference between the P and S is in the cable.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #242 of 19,251
The resistor is in the cable for the ER4S?  Meaning, if I were to recable them using a 3rd party connector like the Westone ES ones sold on ebay I could actually turn them into an ER4P?  Just trying to verify if the only difference between the P and S is in the cable.

Apparently

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #243 of 19,251
May 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #244 of 19,251
Would you mind telling me what EQ and BBE settings you use on the J3 with your Etys. I just purchased the J3 and am using it with the ER4P since replacing my old ER4S which broke. I find the J3 sounds really great and have played with the EQ but am still not sure that I have it optimized. I have a XIN amp that I used with my old MP3 player but find that I really don't need it with the J3.

Thanks in advance.

May 1, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #245 of 19,251
For my ER-4P, I use the following settings:

EQ:
  80Hz - 5 - Wide
300Hz - 4 - Wide
1.1kHz - 1 - Normal
2.4kHz - 0 - Normal
11kHz - 0 - Normal

BBE+:
BBE - 4
M3Bass - 8
MPEnh - On

SE:
St Enh - 2

I keep the BBE low because any higher is too hot for me; M3Bass really beefs up the impact of the bass.

May 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #247 of 19,251
Just got these today. Best thing I've ever bought in my life. Thank all you people in this thread & this forum for digging holes in my wallet.

Finally a member after 1,5 years of lurking! :)

May 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #248 of 19,251
I always loved my ER-4P/S, got custom molds, OFC cable, super-synergetic XIN Supermicro amp...

But I still was not satisfied by the sound. So I sold Etys and moved on RE262, which sounds tad fuller, warmer and smoother. All my DAPs / DACs were delta-sigma then. Then I bought multi-bit source - HM-602. And its analog-like sound changed a game. Now I am missing my Etys and I am going to try them again comparing to RE262. 

I'm looking to replace the cable on my ancient 4p's and I'll need to find an adapter plug that has a 24 or 25 ohm inline resistor. On your Etys, since you removed the OEM cable with the built-in resistor how did you adjust the resistance to the armitures?

May 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #250 of 19,251
Quote:
There were resistors in that DIY cable, built into the plug.

Oh, OK. Thanks. The standard plug adapters I see on the market are 75 ohms - too high for an ER4 with portable players. I see on Ebay a couple of sellers advertising adapter plugs with a variety of resistances. They don't mention 25 ohms, but I guess that would not be a problem for them to do also.

May 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #251 of 19,251
Back to the ER-4P after I foolishly sold my previous pair

*sniff* "I swear I'll never leave you again!!!" 

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #254 of 19,251
well folks, i'm still confused after this thread, but i'm sure someone here can help me sort through it all.%$#!

i have venerable old er4p, custom ear moldings & running off RSA predator fed by iphone.

i love everything about this system except for the ^%@#$ microphonics when the cable moves even slightly.
i usually use them mainly on planes, but in the past month i've walked around a bit with them and the crispy
noises with every movement drives me nuts.

so, i'm in the market for a new cable and it seems there are 2 options widely discussed here.

1)  Apuresound--good sound, less microphonic, expensive, resistance built into cable (or plug on cable?)
2)  AW cable adapter (P version) and Westone ES cable--good sound, less microphonic, cheaper than option 1, not clear what is going on with resistance (in AW adapter?)

i really have 3 questions for this esteemed band of iem fanatics:

1)  does one option sound better than the other?
2)  is one option better for microphonics (particularly when walking) than the other?
3)  what's the deal with ensuring the correct resistance with option 2?

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #255 of 19,251
Quote:
well folks, i'm still confused after this thread, but i'm sure someone here can help me sort through it all.%$#!

i have venerable old er4p, custom ear moldings & running off RSA predator fed by iphone.

i love everything about this system except for the ^%@#$ microphonics when the cable moves even slightly.
i usually use them mainly on planes, but in the past month i've walked around a bit with them and the crispy
noises with every movement drives me nuts.

so, i'm in the market for a new cable and it seems there are 2 options widely discussed here.

1)  Apuresound--good sound, less microphonic, expensive, resistance built into cable (or plug on cable?)
2)  AW cable adapter (P version) and Westone ES cable--good sound, less microphonic, cheaper than option 1, not clear what is going on with resistance (in AW adapter?)

You forgot the option 3... The Best Option.

Send em back to Etymotic for re-cabling.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back