If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #256 of 19,246
Quote:
You forgot the option 3... The Best Option.

Send em back to Etymotic for re-cabling.

Jim

i just assumed that their cables would still be microphonic...........are their current cables significantly better than the old ones?

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #257 of 19,246
Quote:

i just assumed that their cables would still be microphonic...........are their current cables significantly better than the old ones?

They are in my opinion ten fold better.

The portion from the pod to the transducer is so pliable, that it can be worn over the ear with normal insertion.

Cable replacement is 50 bucks plus postage. And they also check out your transducers too.

The other guys just send you a cable an run off to the bank with yer check.

Good Luck, Jim

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #258 of 19,246
Quote:

I now like my ER4 so much that I decided to create this thread in order to share my love for this IEM with other Ety users on the forum who still own and love theirs. I feel that nowadays, the ER4 is perhaps one of the most underrated, if not the most underrated IEM on the market. The main complaints are usually that it lacks bass and/or sounds too clean. Personally, I completely disagree with both of these views. I don't think ER4 lacks bass at all and I also don't think that sound can be too clean. In my opinion, the cleaner and more accurate the sound is the better, because it brings you closer to hearing music the way it was recorded. I may be terribly wrong, but I am sure some people will agree and if you do agree with what I wrote above regarding the ER4 and/or want to share your own positive experience with them, this thread is for you!

I haven't heard a high end custom like JH13, but in my humble opinion, the ER4 blows away pretty much every IEM I've heard, including Westone ES3X in timbre accuracy and overall sound quality. I am starting to doubt the need for multi driver IEMs.

Great Thread...

Thank You, Jim

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #259 of 19,246
Quote:
They are in my opinion ten fold better.

The portion from the pod to the transducer is so pliable, that it can be worn over the ear with normal insertion.

Cable replacement is 50 bucks plus postage. And they also check out your transducers too.

The other guys just send you a cable an run off to the bank with yer check.

Good Luck, Jim

good thing i asked.
it never occurred to me (but should have) that a 15 year old cable design might have been improved in that time!

i like this solution!

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #260 of 19,246
Hi, may I know in what way are the HF3 different from the ER4? I only know that the Ety house sound are there but would appreciate some insight of what are the defining difference between them. Thanks. 

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #261 of 19,246
Jun 25, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #262 of 19,246
Planx's review is great, with a good bit of details (since Etymotic is a detail-oriented earphone!).  I can add a more succinct reason for going for the ER-4 over the HF-5.  I think of it as "Audio Coherence."

I had the HF5 for a little over a year, and really loved the clean sound.  It yeilded sufficient bass for me with a bit of EQ.  However, when I had the chance to buy a used ER-4P from a fellow forum member (for under $150 USD), I jumped on it.  It listened to them both for a couple of weeks, and pretty quickly sold the HF5.

What I found when I compared the two is hard to explain, but the ER-4P just sounded so correct, cohesive, coherent compared to the HF5.  It wasn't that the HF5 was/is muddy in any way -- just that with the ER-4, the separation of instruments is better, placement of instuments relative to each other is better, the refusal to smudge sound on busy passages is better.  It just sounds right.

If you can find a good used ER-4, it is absolutely worth the investment, if you would spend somewhat near that amount on any other earphone.

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #263 of 19,246
Can someone suggest me a tube amp under $500 USD. I googled my heart out and I was able to find crach which is DIY. If I asked them to built it for me it will be over my budget.

Size and look dont bother me, I want to experience the warmness of tube goodness :-D

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #264 of 19,246
Best amp I've heard with the ER-4 is the JDS Labs C421

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #267 of 19,246
Quote:
1)  Apuresound--good sound, less microphonic, expensive, resistance built into cable (or plug on cable?)

Do not buy from apuresound, see the threads elsewhere on this forum (http://www.head-fi.org/t/546938/apuresound-complaint-thread-customers-with-outstanding-items-or-money-only/30). I paid them $205 last August, 2011, never received my cable, nor a refund. Mine is not an isolated situation, they are unreliable, and use terrible excuses until they simply stop answering your emails.

I will now seek a cable from Etymotic. Only reason I did not at the time was that Apuresound reputably made a better cable. If they make one, that is.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #268 of 19,246
Quote:

Do not buy from apuresound, see the threads elsewhere on this forum (http://www.head-fi.org/t/546938/apuresound-complaint-thread-customers-with-outstanding-items-or-money-only/30). I paid them $205 last August, 2011, never received my cable, nor a refund. Mine is not an isolated situation, they are unreliable, and use terrible excuses until they simply stop answering your emails.

I will now seek a cable from Etymotic. Only reason I did not at the time was that Apuresound reputably made a better cable. If they make one, that is.

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

Etymotic's newer ER-4PT cable is very nice.

They will replace the cable and give your IEMs a once over for 50 dollars plus freight.

Good Luck, Jim

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #270 of 19,246
Just got my Etymotics ER-4P, they are awesome earphones :wink: With etymotics help I realized that I'm not a basshead. I guess for drum&bass and dubstep my triples are the better option but for trance and other genres er-4p are just great. Midrange is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back