If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 16, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #211 of 19,254
I'm curious to know, are there any sonic differences between the ER4S way back when (shown in the first image, which are the ones I currently own, purchased back in 2004, according to the invoice the seller provided me), compared to the latest one available (second image)?

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #213 of 19,254
Quote:
I'm curious to know, are there any sonic differences between the ER4S way back when (shown in the first image, which are the ones I currently own, purchased back in 2004, according to the invoice the seller provided me), compared to the latest one available (second image)?

I highly doubt it.

While I still consider ER4 a great IEM, I have since found what I believe to be superior sounding IEMs in the JVC FX700, RE0 V3 and V4, and RE272. Maybe out of a good amp, the ER4 will be able to compete with the aforementioned IEMs, but unamped ER4 just lacks richness, dynamics and depth compared to the aforementioned IEMs. I do feel that the bass on the ER4 is tighter and better defined than that of the FX700 and the mids sound more textured than RE0 mids, but overall ER4 is not quite as good IMO, at least not unamped. When I get my Fiio E11 and Fiio E5 LOD for my Sony player, I might consider giving ER4 another try.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #214 of 19,254
I've owned both, but never at the same time. I don't recall ANY difference, but I like the Red/Blues better just for the looks.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #215 of 19,254
Thanks fellas! I too admire the red/blue over the plain black to be honest.

P.S. I know jut what you mean Pianist; unamped, the ER4S does lose out to a few other in-ears I prefer. Amped, however, even through my FiiO E7, and ESPECIALLY combined with my Zo, it's another story altogether, and I'd be just as happy with only the ER4S and Zo as my exclusive universal. But it's never that easy, is it? 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #217 of 19,254
i've been offered a used pair of er 4s for 170$...however asking around I came to know that it can be had new for the mentioned price....links to cheaper deals for the er 4s ??

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #219 of 19,254
i can get a 4 month used pair for 170 $ with shipping included...why would i think of purchasing one from amazon for 200$ used?? 

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #220 of 19,254
Personally, I buy from Amazon if prices are similar.  Stuff there is guaranteed, and they have no hassle returns.  They may also qualify for Etymotic's warranty, which is stellar.  Worth looking into anyway, IMO.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #221 of 19,254

Quote:
a few years ago Antonyfirst posted the facxt that if you cut the stem of a tri-flange to make a 1/8" "washer", then insert that washer on the ear nozzle of the Ety before inserting the eartip, the soundstage will increase.  Tried it and have always loved the soundstage created

Also use the Comply 100tx and haven't replaced Ety filters in months.  Truly a godsend for those of us who don't want to be fiddling with those teeny filters

Has anyone else tried this stem cutting thing? I'm bound to experience it but I'm afraid to just damage them without noticeable gain. I can't even imagine how would it make any difference...

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #222 of 19,254
I have had my ER4s for about four years and I still love them.  My cable has recently broken and I will be sending them in to Etymotic for a new one this week and I am really upset to be without them.  My only complaint is that I get discomfort with IEMs after wearing for a while.  I wear my ER4s for sound quality, but go to headphones for comfort over a longer period.  As stated above, paired with my Fiio E7 or iBasso D-Zero these babies really come alive.

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #223 of 19,254

I'm curious to see your assessment after you run those through your E11.  
Quote:

I highly doubt it.

While I still consider ER4 a great IEM, I have since found what I believe to be superior sounding IEMs in the JVC FX700, RE0 V3 and V4, and RE272. Maybe out of a good amp, the ER4 will be able to compete with the aforementioned IEMs, but unamped ER4 just lacks richness, dynamics and depth compared to the aforementioned IEMs. I do feel that the bass on the ER4 is tighter and better defined than that of the FX700 and the mids sound more textured than RE0 mids, but overall ER4 is not quite as good IMO, at least not unamped. When I get my Fiio E11 and Fiio E5 LOD for my Sony player, I might consider giving ER4 another try.

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #224 of 19,254
Brimstone,

silly question, but have you tried other ear pads for the ER-4?  There are a bunch of different ones available.  For example, I use the medium black foam pads because they give way better isolation.  But the rubber triple-flange ones are actually far more comfy.  I can even sleep with those; (not the foam pads though).

The Etys are my travel headphone anyway.  I use headphones at home, unless I'm really wanting the Ety sound which is more intimate than my headphones are.  I know what you mean about being without them during a repair though.  I use mine daily, and it was a real burden not to have them during the two times they needed to be sent in.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #225 of 19,254

Quote:
Brimstone,

silly question, but have you tried other ear pads for the ER-4?  There are a bunch of different ones available.  For example, I use the medium black foam pads because they give way better isolation.  But the rubber triple-flange ones are actually far more comfy.  I can even sleep with those; (not the foam pads though).

The Etys are my travel headphone anyway.  I use headphones at home, unless I'm really wanting the Ety sound which is more intimate than my headphones are.  I know what you mean about being without them during a repair though.  I use mine daily, and it was a real burden not to have them during the two times they needed to be sent in.

I actually only use the rubber triples.  I don't think it is so much the fault of the ER-4s as it is just my ears.  My ear canals get dry and irritated even without the ER-4s in, but they will tend to irritate my canals more after a while.  I don't know if it is because I don't produce enough wax or just because I live in the desert and my skin tends to stay dried out.  

Since you mentioned it, I googled replacement pads and found several alternatives that I didn't even realize were out there.  I may give them a try and see if I can up the long term comfort.  I like my headphones for some types of music, but like you said that Ety sound is more intimate and really shines with some genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back