If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 19, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #91 of 19,246

Quote:
Quote:
Except it is illegal in a lot of places.

And is rarely enforced.  I see people drive with ibuds and the like constantly, and cops won't do anything because they're not sure if it's just a hands free set or not.  The only time one would get caught for it is when there's an accident.

Regardless of whether it is enforced or not, I'd rather drive on safer roads. But there's far bigger issues to deal with to increase road safety before we start dealing with people wearing headphones etc so I don't really mind as much.

Still, provided they can still hear important traffic sounds, I don't have a problem if they keep an eye on the road unlike texters.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #92 of 19,246
Is there really a need to have the "driving with headphones" discussion here too? There is already a thread dedicated to people and their thoughts on this. Come on kids, give it a rest.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #94 of 19,246

Quote:
Yeah! Back to the what amp do you like with the ER4S question! please....

Between my E7, Stepdance and the uDAC-2 amp? Stepdance most definitely. But then, I haven't heard anything that doesn't get a considerable boost with the Stepdance.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #95 of 19,246
Mini3 and u-DAC2, but those are my only amps (and amp/DAC combo). But the best I've heard my ER4S is from the headphone out of an old (1986) Sony component CD player. So full of power and life. It drives them just fine with the volume knob barely turned up. If only I could get that out of a portable DAP.

On a side note, I've been using the ER4S straight out of my Clip+ for a couple of weeks now. I honestly like it better than my iPod 5.5G->LOD->mini3 setup. Drum cymbals sound much more accurate on the Clip+.

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #96 of 19,246
Oh my god, I'm having an orgasm right now.  I just purchased an imod out of curiosity, and I tried this setup:

Imod rockboxed->cmoy amp->ER4P

Very shocking.  Out of all IEMs I've tried, ER4P reveals the most detail and responds very fast, and sounds tight and clear.  I'm guessing with great output resolution, you need headphone that can reveal such details.  I've yet to experience IEMs to this level.  Anybody tried this setup?

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #98 of 19,246
i have owned two pairs of HF2s, and my only IEMs ever, so I can't compare. at first, they did sound a little bland compared to some of the other IEMs i've used before. but gradually after using it more i adjusted to the sound, and low bass, then realized it produces accurate sounds. unfortunately my second pair is wearing down, the wires are fraying. so, i'm looking to buy another pair of IEMs, should i go with another pair of HF2s or opt for something else? If so, does anyone have suggestions for a good alternative? Also, I was told the ER4 is essentially the same as thte HF2/HF5 when using it with an apple ipod/iphone

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #99 of 19,246

Quote:
Oh my god, I'm having an orgasm right now.  I just purchased an imod out of curiosity, and I tried this setup:

Imod rockboxed->cmoy amp->ER4P

Very shocking.  Out of all IEMs I've tried, ER4P reveals the most detail and responds very fast, and sounds tight and clear.  I'm guessing with great output resolution, you need headphone that can reveal such details.  I've yet to experience IEMs to this level.  Anybody tried this setup?

I have a similar setup

iMod>ALO LOD>CMoy Bass Boost>APuresound ER4P

I've auditioned other amps but still prefer the CMoy with the bass boost off, of all the mods the biggest difference came from the cable.
The bass and clarity were both improved.

Gee

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #103 of 19,246
In this thread it is mentioned often that people need to get used to Ety's.
My experience is different; when my HF5s arrived two weeks ago I had the IE8s, the complete opposite in reputed sound signature, in my ears; in between switching was less then a minute; yet although I loved the IE8s with their big sound and prominent bass, I enjoyed the HF5s right away, without EQ-ing my Sony X1060. When I heart the difference in isolation in public transport...well, the Senns are on their way to a new owner now...I only need one set of IEMs and the HF5s are enough for me.
Love the sound, love the isolation, and the small form factor.

Oh, BTW a tip for those suffering from microphonics; simply tuck the Y piece behind you in your neck into your collar. It doesn't look too silly and it greatly reduces microphonics. And when having them out temporarily you can let them rest on your breast like those J-cord 'phones. I've done this for years now, because I hate over-the-ear; it itches and the cable doesn't stay put, unless it is tight, and that irritates me.

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #104 of 19,246
ive got an er4-p myself
everything about it is great, except for the serious microphonics over the cables... i have to literally freeze my neck still to stop the cables from rubbing on my shirt or the desk, and because i use my computer when i am listening to music, very often my hands run into the cables and the noise is enough to drown out the music im listening to... 

have you guys had any solutions for this?

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #105 of 19,246

Quote:
ive got an er4-p myself
everything about it is great, except for the serious microphonics over the cables... i have to literally freeze my neck still to stop the cables from rubbing on my shirt or the desk, and because i use my computer when i am listening to music, very often my hands run into the cables and the noise is enough to drown out the music im listening to... 

have you guys had any solutions for this?

Maybe sell your er4p and get the hf5/hf3. Joker described them as 90% of the er4p sound but with better usability. As in you can actually wear them over the ear, and even run the cable up your back and around your neck, in order to prevent microphonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back