If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #16 of 19,246

Quote:
That's true. I personally have been playing with the idea to have customized tips for them. It is really tempting! But you know, if you could go for a better deal, then you should.
tongue.gif

Listening to my ER4 while reading this thread probably makes that idea even more tempting.

Oh yes, of course! Personally, I wouldn't mind picking up a used pair of ER4, which I did. Because of the superb build quality, a used pair will still look almost the same as a new one in most cases, like ClieOS said in his review. I got my used ER4 P/S from the forum for $135 shipped in Canada for a total of $150. It's about one year old. Still looks mint to me.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #17 of 19,246
Hey guys I have a question, what exactly does having more resistance in the ER4S achieve? If I were to use a 75 Ohms resistor on my HF5s, would it accomplish similar effects?

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #18 of 19,246
Quote:
Hey guys I have a question, what exactly does having more resistance in the ER4S achieve? If I were to use a 75 Ohms resistor on my HF5s, would it accomplish similar effects?

I think you will, although the HF5 probably won't benefit from higher impedance as much as the ER4, because HF5 does use slightly lower quality drivers from what I read. The main improvements of ER4S over ER4P to my ears are better treble detail, more air, slightly tighter bass, slightly better dynamics, smoother transients, and more transparency in the midrange.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #19 of 19,246
Actually, I'm not sure it'd work all that well w/ the HF5's. Technically, they have the same drivers as the ER4, but they're not hand-matched for accuracy, as the ER4's are, and the 2 iems start out w/ slightly different values for impedance, sensitivity, maximum output, etc...

As a side note, ER4S = pure perfection. I've heard nothing better, period. 

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #20 of 19,246

being a rookie, I've been posting in this forum asking for recommendation whether should i get W2 / MTPG / ER4 / IE7
and after I auditioned and researched all of listed items, I brought the ER4P 
etysmile.gif

some warned me that the bass wont satisfy much, but surprisingly, i'm still having fun with hiphops or bass-heavy tracks with them, even without any EQs turned on because the texture of it was superb
they just sound nicely balanced but still aggressive enough, they got sniper-precise imaging and very detailed sound while also isolate like crazy

The build quality was really great, they're durable and also have replaceable cables (I've seen some adapters which make you be able to use ER4 with westone cables too) And Etymotic customer service is just great, they even have out-of-warranty service.

Seriously, the ER4 really satisfy me, except for some microphonics and a-little-too-long housing, but nothing's perfect right?

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #21 of 19,246

Quote:

being a rookie, I've been posting in this forum asking for recommendation whether should i get W2 / MTPG / ER4 / IE7
and after I auditioned and researched all of listed items, I brought the ER4P 
etysmile.gif

some warned me that the bass wont satisfy much, but surprisingly, i'm still having fun with hiphops or bass-heavy tracks with them, even without any EQs turned on because the texture of it was superb
they just sound nicely balanced but still aggressive enough, they got sniper-precise imaging and very detailed sound while also isolate like crazy

The build quality was really great, they're durable and also have replaceable cables (I've seen some adapters which make you be able to use ER4 with westone cables too) And Etymotic customer service is just great, they even have out-of-warranty service.

Seriously, the ER4 really satisfy me, except for some microphonics and a-little-too-long housing, but nothing's perfect right?

lol Nice way to put it.
biggrin.gif
I also love that quality about ER4 - I want to hear all the sounds clearly, meaning that above all, they need to be clearly and cleanly separated from all others and placed as precisely as possible in the soundstage.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #22 of 19,246
Ok, so I found the ER-4P for $231 USD in Europe! Now, I just need to know, what is the difference between it and the ER-4PT? It's an additional $177 for the latter choice on amazon.co.uk, which makes me wonder a bit.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #23 of 19,246
The "new" ER4P-T is the same ER4P, but with a certificate stating the drivers were perfectly matched L to R, and includes a Travel plug -- so def not worth an extra $177 USD.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #25 of 19,246
I like my bass north of neutral and like slightly bigger body in them so I ended up eq'ing the bass. But I can totally relate to how if you like a more neutral sound, the ety's bass is definitely adequate 

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #26 of 19,246
Quote:
ER4p are my only IEMs at the moment. 

I cant really see myself changing over to the new stuff.

So you prefer the ER4p to the new stuff you listened to?

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #27 of 19,246

Quote:
Quote:

As weird as it may sound, yes. 

Lower end multi-driver IEMs all smear the crossovers Once I hear it I latch onto it, and then its over. Im afraid to dive into customs only to find the same.

Custom tips for the ER4 do intrigue me though.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #28 of 19,246
I've been tempted in the past, but I've always worried about comfort.  I bought a Klipsch X5 when they were half price shortly after they came out.  I love them but can only use them sporadically because they're painful when mu allergies act up

Quote:

Can you put the cable over your ears?  The X5 has horrible microphonics but they pretty much go away when I put the cable over my ear.  Like the Ety, they're not designed that way so it's a little awkward and it makes them stick out quite a bit, but it's worth it to get rid of microphonics.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #29 of 19,246
Quote:
Can you put the cable over your ears?  The X5 has horrible microphonics but they pretty much go away when I put the cable over my ear.  Like the Ety, they're not designed that way so it's a little awkward and it makes them stick out quite a bit, but it's worth it to get rid of microphonics.

Unfortunately no. The angled strain reliefs prevent that. Unless you recable the Etys with an aftermarket cable, which probably won't be cheap.

Quote:
nikongod said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Pianist said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
nikongod said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

As weird as it may sound, yes. 

Lower end multi-driver IEMs all smear the crossovers Once I hear it I latch onto it, and then its over. Im afraid to dive into customs only to find the same.

Custom tips for the ER4 do intrigue me though.

That doesn't sound weird to me at all! I completely agree that multi drivers suffer from coherency issues and often either muddy up the sound or break it into pieces that people call "great separation" but is in fact the result of poor driver matching.

BTW, you definitely should be afraid going into multi driver customs, because I experienced the same issues with ES3X - the music just didn't flow with them at all.
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #30 of 19,246

Quote:
I've been tempted in the past, but I've always worried about comfort.  I bought a Klipsch X5 when they were half price shortly after they came out.  I love them but can only use them sporadically because they're painful when mu allergies act up

Quote:

Yes, the microphonics will go away for a big part but it didn't work for me. The cable just won't stay over my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back