If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 20, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #19,082 of 19,249
But if there can be (small) differences between filters, as you mentioned, is it better to do the final test with or without them?

We’ve always do it with them. This also gives a more accurate THD measurement.

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #19,084 of 19,249
@EtyDave
So changing the filters on ER4SR/ER4XR will likely ruin the channel matching?

Nov 22, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #19,085 of 19,249
@EtyDave
So changing the filters on ER4SR/ER4XR will likely ruin the channel matching?

Ruin is a strong word, but worst case it could cause a greater differentiation.

We've found that it's not much of an issue if we pack out spare dampers from the same bag from our current vendor (they come in bags of small quantities). If you were to randomly grab dampers from two different lots from two different times, there's an increased chance that the value will differ more. We don't do that, but it is possible a user with a random stash of dampers could do that.

That said, we've not had a single complaint that I know of about that in the last 20 years, so I personally wouldn't worry about it too much.

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #19,089 of 19,249
Hey guys
@EtyDave If I order the Triple Flange Eartips| Large Fit | Clear | 10 Pack I'm receiving the soft large ones?
You know, because of the recent system problem on the site.

Thank you in advance

Let me double check on Monday when everybody is back in the office. I want to make sure that everything is 100% fixed.

Nov 23, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #19,091 of 19,249
Appears that the classic Shure Olive eartips have been re-branded. EABKF1 tips are listed as 'discontinued' on Shure's website.
Now packaged with two fewer pairs, $22-23.
Anyone had a chance to compare these to the originals yet?
download.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #19,092 of 19,249
Ruin is a strong word, but worst case it could cause a greater differentiation.

We've found that it's not much of an issue if we pack out spare dampers from the same bag from our current vendor (they come in bags of small quantities). If you were to randomly grab dampers from two different lots from two different times, there's an increased chance that the value will differ more. We don't do that, but it is possible a user with a random stash of dampers could do that.

That said, we've not had a single complaint that I know of about that in the last 20 years, so I personally wouldn't worry about it too much.
Thank you very much for your detailed and helpful reply!

Another question:

I have two pairs of ER4SR, and on both certificates, sensitivity is stated as 97.5 dB @ 200 mV.
On older certificates of ER4SR (e.g. here), sensitivity is stated as 104.6 dB @ 200 mV.
And the specifications on the etymotic website are 98 dB @ 1 mW.

Did sensitivity change? Or is there an error somewhere?

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #19,093 of 19,249

Another question:

I have two pairs of ER4SR, and on both certificates, sensitivity is stated as 97.5 dB @ 200 mV.
On older certificates of ER4SR (e.g. here), sensitivity is stated as 104.6 dB @ 200 mV.

There's been a mix-up between the value shown and the voltage tested. I think some used the old 200mV and others used 100mV, but the calculation for sensi didn't take the change into account, leading to about 6dB(doubling of voltage) difference on some certificates.

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #19,094 of 19,249

Another question:

There's been a mix-up between the value shown and the voltage tested. I think some used the old 200mV and others used 100mV, but the calculation for sensi didn't take the change into account, leading to about 6dB(doubling of voltage) difference on some certificates.

This is correct. We used to test at 200mV, but when we transitioned to a new test system that tested at 100mV, we missed the printing on the certificate. So 98dB is correct with 100mV drive, 104dB is correct with 200mV drive.

The 98dB @1mW is just wrong and I have no idea how that got on the website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back