If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 29, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #19,006 of 19,246
When did you start using those particular flanges?

I’ve had flanges get stuck in the ears, but that has always happened after about roughly 1-2 months of daily usage. The elasticity seems to worsen due to the regular bodily and wax contact and eventually the tips get stuck.

Oh, for what it’s worth, I am a newbie compared to you. I got my first Ety in 2017.
Good question - I rotate between 4SR and XR's, so hard to say how long I've had those flanges. I'll start changing them more often...

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #19,007 of 19,246
I have been out of the audio world for so long that I only recently learned about the Harman curve. I think that is why I do not like the balance of modern IEMs. I think the ety ER4s (and similar etys) got it right with the diffuse field with high end roll off that they use. With the Harman curve, I think a lot of current manufacturers are chasing an imperfect goal.

Oct 1, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #19,008 of 19,246
Is this
Most people insert deeper than that. It looks like those tips might also be too large.

But, let's be honest here, stock images don't always show the correct usage. :wink:

99185814-young-man-holding-soldering-iron.jpg

Is this one deep enough?
My ears (cavity and canal) are very small so I’m not sure whether they will go much deeper.

Oct 1, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #19,010 of 19,246
i saw an audiologist who said i had impacted wax in my ear, is this due to the use of etymotic iems which require deep insertion or would any iem cause this problem?
I'm not a doctor, FYI.

I'd argue that any IEM can cause this, whether it's Ety with deep insertion or something that doesn't insert as deeply. You're pushing the earwax back and/or you're preventing it from coming out the ears.

Maybe open earbuds might not cause it as much.

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #19,011 of 19,246
i saw an audiologist who said i had impacted wax in my ear, is this due to the use of etymotic iems which require deep insertion or would any iem cause this problem?
When I used IEMs several hours a day every day(mostly Etys, or CIEM), I had to use one of those sprays to dissolve ear wax because my ear was just making too much, trying to help remove one hell of a big foreign object I’m guessing. In my case once a month or every other month was plenty. You don’t want to abuse it, as after all, wax has a role to play in our ears. That, and gently cleaning the entrance of my ear canal when showering(as far as a finger goes, and rinsing gently with warm water) so that I wouldn’t push what was almost out back in with the IEM, was really all I needed. Each time I got my ears checked(doctor, or audiologist for new molds) they said my ears were clean.

It seems obvious to me that one flange on IEM you can barely insert isn’t as susceptible to push and stock ear wax deep down the canal as Ety’s products and triple flanges or big foams inserted just short of a lobotomy. When wearing earbuds, I never even had to wonder about ear wax so I’d say there’s an impact from IEMs. But at the same time, most people push more wax using cotton swabs deep into the ear canal(should never be done) than you’ll do with an IEM.
Somehow all the audiologists I’ve seen, mentioned baby oil at some point, so there must be something good about having some in the ears. People here put some on the tips to lubricate them, seems like a universal fix for ear stuff.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #19,012 of 19,246
Is this

Is this one deep enough?
My ears (cavity and canal) are very small so I’m not sure whether they will go much deeper.

The depth will depend on the user as you typically can’t get past the second bend of your ear. If that’s as far as it can go, that’s OK. I would try tilting the IEMs up a bit when inserting them as most ear canals go up a bit and not straight in. Just follow the canal as it naturally goes. Some folks push a bit against the side wall because they are pushing straight in.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #19,013 of 19,246
When I used IEMs several hours a day every day(mostly Etys, or CIEM), I had to use one of those sprays to dissolve ear wax because my ear was just making too much, trying to help remove one hell of a big foreign object I’m guessing. In my case once a month or every other month was plenty. You don’t want to abuse it, as after all, wax has a role to play in our ears. That, and gently cleaning the entrance of my ear canal when showering(as far as a finger goes, and rinsing gently with warm water) so that I wouldn’t push what was almost out back in with the IEM, was really all I needed. Each time I got my ears checked(doctor, or audiologist for new molds) they said my ears were clean.

It seems obvious to me that one flange on IEM you can barely insert isn’t as susceptible to push and stock ear wax deep down the canal as Ety’s products and triple flanges or big foams inserted just short of a lobotomy. When wearing earbuds, I never even had to wonder about ear wax so I’d say there’s an impact from IEMs. But at the same time, most people push more wax using cotton swabs deep into the ear canal(should never be done) than you’ll do with an IEM.
Somehow all the audiologists I’ve seen, mentioned baby oil at some point, so there must be something good about having some in the ears. People here put some on the tips to lubricate them, seems like a universal fix for ear stuff.

It’s not uncommon for the body to produce more earwax when IEMs are used, particularly at the start. Debrox drops can help avoid earwax build-up.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #19,014 of 19,246
It’s not uncommon for the body to produce more earwax when IEMs are used, particularly at the start. Debrox drops can help avoid earwax build-up.
Wasn’t there some talk out there suggesting that a person’s genetic makeup can affect the kind of earwax that is produced? Something about wet wax vs dry wax?

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #19,015 of 19,246
Wasn’t there some talk out there suggesting that a person’s genetic makeup can affect the kind of earwax that is produced? Something about wet wax vs dry wax?

I don’t believe that was me, but certainly it various from person to person.

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #19,016 of 19,246
Oct 1, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #19,017 of 19,246
Oct 3, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #19,019 of 19,246
Out of curiosity, is there a reason why Etymotic is seemingly transitioning towards double flange tips from triple?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back