If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 21, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #18,571 of 19,253
Here's a bit of my experience with the triple flange tips.

I tried both the ER2SE and 2XR and I think I'll keep both. For my music both play slightly different strengths. I received first the 2XR which came with the CLEAR triple flange tips, and noticed sometimes music sounded too compressed, specially strings section in orchestral music. It was weird.
Anyway, I then received the 2SE and those came with the FROST triple flange tips, and there was no compress sensation in the music. I thought it was because of the SE being more clear and pro. But I then used the CLEAR tips on the 2SE and again, sounded compressed. So..

I discovered that the Clear tips being much softer were bending just enough to start blocking the sound inside my ear. This did not happened with the Frost ones since they are of a harder silicone (although of course less confortable). I think I'll try the gray ones (ER38-18) to see if i can get more comfort but without the issue with the softer ones.

Have any of you experienced something similar to my case?
Hi, are you still experiencing the sound being closed after changing to the gray triple flange?
I experienced the same case as you when using the new clear triple flange on ER2SE. They are too soft so in my right ear the sound is muffled, while the left ear is fine (it seems my left and right ear cavities are different). So I always have trouble adjusting the right and left channel balance.
Previously I used the frost and old clear triple flange on ER3SE and never had this happen.
I'm deciding whether to buy an gray or old clear triple flange. Have you ever tried the gray vs old clear triple flange? I think the old clear is stiffer than the gray and hope it will stay in my ear well.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #18,573 of 19,253
Hi, are you still experiencing the sound being closed after changing to the gray triple flange?
I experienced the same case as you when using the new clear triple flange on ER2SE. They are too soft so in my right ear the sound is muffled, while the left ear is fine (it seems my left and right ear cavities are different). So I always have trouble adjusting the right and left channel balance.
Previously I used the frost and old clear triple flange on ER3SE and never had this happen.
I'm deciding whether to buy an gray or old clear triple flange. Have you ever tried the gray vs old clear triple flange? I think the old clear is stiffer than the gray and hope it will stay in my ear well.
In my experience, grey tips are not as good as the clear ones. I do find that they warp very easily and affects the seal. They also affect the sound differently to they clear ones. I can't say what it is, but it sounds less exciting. I think you lose a bit of bass and soundstage.

May 22, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #18,576 of 19,253
Which of the tips is best for isolation?

d
Supposedly the supplied foam tips, but I use the new style standard size clear triple flange and think that the isolation is very very good.

May 23, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #18,577 of 19,253
ER3SE is my best headphone purchase by far, for a long time. Shame I didn't knew before how good they can match my preference.
Only downside is they are now defective. I bought them from Drop and their customer service says they have only 30 days warranty. I think mine are about 60 days old? What a shame. I'm from Europe and I think minimum warranty for any electronics is 12 months. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Every suggestion is greatly appreciated.

May 23, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #18,578 of 19,253
ER3SE is my best headphone purchase by far, for a long time. Shame I didn't knew before how good they can match my preference.
Only downside is they are now defective. I bought them from Drop and their customer service says they have only 30 days warranty. I think mine are about 60 days old? What a shame. I'm from Europe and I think minimum warranty for any electronics is 12 months. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Drop are SKETCHY.

Try reaching out to Ety directly maybe? The ER3SE has a 1 year warranty at least here in North America...

https://www.etymotic.com/warranty/

May 23, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #18,579 of 19,253
I bought a set of ER3XR from Amazon last week and it was broken straight out of the box. I found another person who had the same issue in another thread here.

Amazon sent me a replacement immediately. But now I also learned that Amazon is not an authorized dealer of Etymotic and I may get into trouble with warranty if anything happens later. That made me a bit nervous.

May 23, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #18,580 of 19,253
Defective how? Is it possible that the filters got damp or you got ear wax in them? Have you tried changing the filters?

May 23, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #18,583 of 19,253
Can you use other ear tips with these earphones ? not the flange one but something like a SpinFit CP100 for ex. ?
You can, but they’d require an adapter because the Ety nozzles are narrow.

May 23, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #18,584 of 19,253
Defective how? Is it possible that the filters got damp or you got ear wax in them? Have you tried changing the filters?
Right channel started to distort and is now almost mute. I also thought if it was only earwax, but it seems all clean.

May 23, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #18,585 of 19,253
I think they are only used about 20-30 hours I think. Wish I have bought them from Amazon, because they were selling them even bigger discount and without tax for Europeans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back