If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 9, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #18,526 of 19,255
Any balanced 4.4mm cable u can recommend? 😀
Well, all I can really say is that this is the one that failed, and it wasn't after much use. And I like everything about this cable, but it's a bit pricey now (it was cheaper when I got it), and I'm dubious about whether it makes a difference that's it's silver. This morning, I compared it to a copper cable of the same length that I bought from the first seller, and I think it would be tough to tell them apart in a blind trial. But let's not get into that topic. Maybe just buy a couple cheap ones so you're covered if one breaks?

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #18,527 of 19,255
My experience with some balanced Ety cables from AE:
EachDIY Earphone Parts Store: one failed, one OK.
Lunashops: one on the way
HIFI Store: one silver cable well-used and OK.
I ordered a lunashops cable back on March 14th that is yet to arrive. I got impatient and ordered the overpriced Etymotic brand 2.5mm from Amazon. I haven’t had a chance to listen with it for more than 15 minutes yet. Hopefully later today I’ll get to try it for a while.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #18,528 of 19,255
Well, all I can really say is that this is the one that failed, and it wasn't after much use. And I like everything about this cable, but it's a bit pricey now (it was cheaper when I got it), and I'm dubious about whether it makes a difference that's it's silver. This morning, I compared it to a copper cable of the same length that I bought from the first seller, and I think it would be tough to tell them apart in a blind trial. But let's not get into that topic. Maybe just buy a couple cheap ones so you're covered if one breaks?
Hahah, sure. I will try that route. For my sony xba-300, the sound is a little more lively? Its like expanded slightly when I use the original sony cable vs a after market ones. Its one of those cheaper ones. Soo I think the differences might be minute, but might also he the fit since the sony one is lighter.

No concrete prove too. Haha

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #18,531 of 19,255
I do hope that their filter is cleanable, but the tools that removing it also destroying it's mesh inside

I have heard that if you're really careful you can remove the filter without destroying them, clean them, and resuse them. I've never done that myself and they are designed to be used and disposed of when it's time to replace them.

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #18,532 of 19,255
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but it looks to encompass Ety in general. A query I have is, would using Shure Olives on Etys change the FR by quite abit, due to the shallower insertion depth compared to the triple flange tips provided by Ety? If it does, should I just get the dual flanges Ety sells instead? Currently, the triple flanges are a pain to use, but I'm not willing to give up on my Etys yet, so I'm trying to come up with solutions on what to replace the triple flanges with. My ear canals are relatively small, so I suspect that's why I'm having such a hard time with them. I hope someone here has and is willing to answer, there's little on the market that sound like Etys, and I would like to keep them rather than sell them.
It's not so much the depth of the triple flange that gives the bass response (at least the best you can get from an Ety), but simply that the triple flange requires a deep insertion in most ears in order to get the complete seal required for the bass response.

The Shure Olive tips (the right size for your ear size) will in almost every ear give a complete seal, and thus good bass response. The Shure tips MIGHT reduce a tad bit of the upper high trebles, but not that much, in my experience. I've used the Shure Olives with my Ety's for years.

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #18,533 of 19,255
I’ve had my 4SR since September and haven’t had to mess with the filters yet. How often are people swapping in new filters?

I’m on my 3rd set of triple flange tips, but still using the original filters. I keep my ears pretty clean and so far I haven’t taken them out of my ears and had any ear wax in the hole of the tips. I also make sure to not put them in my ears until my ears have dried back out after showering.

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #18,534 of 19,255
I’ve had my 4SR since September and haven’t had to mess with the filters yet. How often are people swapping in new filters?

I went through three or four filters in short order. At least one of these filters was bad from the start (maybe two; I can't recall). The filters I'm using now, I've been using since last year -- no problem yet.

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #18,535 of 19,255

Attachments

• Etymotic ER4SR minimum phase 44100Hz.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Harman - Oratory1990 - ER4SR - Parametric EQ - Auto EQ.zip
    557 bytes · Views: 0
Apr 11, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #18,536 of 19,255

I’m on my 3rd set of triple flange tips, but still using the original filters. I keep my ears pretty clean and so far I haven’t taken them out of my ears and had any ear wax in the hole of the tips. I also make sure to not put them in my ears until my ears have dried back out after showering.
There is inequality in earwax (the governments should do something about this!). Some create way more than others, some wax is very dry, some isn't. I read somewhere that it's determined by just one gene, with dry wax being from the recessive version that is mainly found in some parts of Asia. (Great job my brain! Remembering useful math, no way. Remembering weird anecdotes about earwax and Anime OSTs lyrics, of course it's super important, let's keep those forever...)

Then there is hygiene, if the IEMs spends the rest of the day in dirty backpacks fighting Cheetos crumbs and dust, odds are that you might need new filters sooner, if only to avoid having too much of that getting in your ears. And of course, how many hours you spend with them in your ears probably impacts how much wax manages to slide into the nozzle.
As for change in sound, I've measured small variations, but subjectively I usually didn't notice. For me, it's only been "all is well", or one side getting clogged to the point of sounding quiet with no treble.

Apr 12, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #18,537 of 19,255
after investigating I found that mesh inside the old filter is still intact, either I'm lucky or my suspicion about removing tools is wrong 🤦🏻‍♂️now trying a method to clean it, since there's no local etymotic retail in my place.

Apr 13, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #18,538 of 19,255
after investigating I found that mesh inside the old filter is still intact, either I'm lucky or my suspicion about removing tools is wrong 🤦🏻‍♂️now trying a method to clean it, since there's no local etymotic retail in my place.
If you screw all the way, the tool is supposed to kill the filter as it's screwing into it to get a solid hold. But we rarely need to, just grabbing onto the outer plastic tubing and pulling out with a slight lateral pressure is usually enough to get the filter out without damage. I did it often at some point when trying various filter impedance (the different filter colors) and didn't measure any significant change after putting the first one in.
But I have no idea about trying to clean them up and how they react to that.

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #18,540 of 19,255
How is the er4xr compares to today good iems like ie600 or andromeda, blessing2, and old totl iems like Sony ex1000 and ie800 ?
I don’t have any experience with any of the ones you listed. I have the ER4SR, the 7Hz Timeless AE, and the Truthear Hexa. The Hexa isn’t even in the same league, it’s not even worth comparing them. They are OK for $80, but I’m not as hyped on them as a lot of people were/are. The Timeless AE is great, but it’s different enough from the 4SR that I enjoy both. The Timeless AE is more V-shaped on each end, more bass, and more treble above 10k. I still prefer my ER4SR with a little bass shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back