If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 30, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #18,511 of 19,256
Mar 30, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #18,512 of 19,256
Around 13 yrs or so.
Nice! Hopefully my 4SR’s last at least that long. I enjoy them a lot and hopefully I can continue to enjoy them for many years.

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #18,514 of 19,256
Thats actually insane!
I have a HiFiMan RE-Zero from 2010. So they are 13 years old as well. Old HiFiMan stuff wasn’t exactly known for lasting a long time. They still work but that’s partly because they have spent most of their life being unused. They still sound fine, but the cable is super annoying and isn’t replaceable. It twists like crazy because it holds memory from being coiled up, and has a stupid 3.5mm balanced end that needs an adaptor to be used with 99.99999% of devices ever made. I thought about maybe having someone recable it, but it’s not worth it.

My ER4SR, especially with a little EQ sounds waaaay better though.

Apr 2, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #18,515 of 19,256
I’m loving my ER4SR with a +3dB bass shelf at 125hz. Definitely my favorite IEM again with the little bass boost.

I like them more than my 7Hz Timeless AE for the most part. The Timeless AE has more energy somewhere up top, and I don’t mind it, but I find the ER4SR to be more natural.

I got my ER4SR from Amazon for $199 last September, and I see that they are currently at $299 on Amazon.

I really love hard they can slam with 6db 125Hz I have keep reminding my self there Single BA yet blow away the Multi BA/Hybrid IEM's with the same bass volume. Even the Licorice ER4P I got sounds great that probably 21+ years old since It the Red & Blue marking.

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #18,516 of 19,256
So, for a bit of an experiment I retuned my ER4P to the harman target using squig & Qudelix 5k. Wow. Ok, it's not a neutral iem anymore, but it is beautifully musical for a single BA. More than anything, I guess the bass is where you really notice the difference. You can almost feel it on certain tracks.

Until recently I wouldn't use them for genres like rock or pop, but I will definitely be using them more often in my audio rotation from now on.

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #18,517 of 19,256
okay, after testing few days with ety's medium triple flange, I must admit that I like it better tonality than 3rd party small triple flange due to narrower bore, as the small one make my er3se feels more bright, usage wise probably the same way, because the small one make me pushing through my ears and medium one is long enough to reach out part of my canal same place as small tips
IMG_20230314_065513.jpg

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #18,518 of 19,256
Hey All, I have noticed that my left bud is cutting out when I'm pulling it out of my ear. Is that normal?
It is not a cable issue as I have switched sides and only the left one "goes out".

It does not go out completely, it just gets quite, and when the pressure in my ear goes back, as does the sound...

Any input appreciated...

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #18,519 of 19,256
Hey All, I have noticed that my left bud is cutting out when I'm pulling it out of my ear. Is that normal?
It is not a cable issue as I have switched sides and only the left one "goes out".

It does not go out completely, it just gets quite, and when the pressure in my ear goes back, as does the sound...

Any input appreciated...

It’s probably from the pressure in the ear. I don’t think I’ve ever taken mine out with music playing, but if it’s not the cable, then it’s probably just the driver being not able to overcome the ear pressure.

Apr 8, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #18,520 of 19,256
Hi! can I get a sense or quick take if er4sr is a worthy upgrade from er3se? I have the er3se but the price of er4sr seems good now. 😀

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #18,521 of 19,256
Hi! can I get a sense or quick take if er4sr is a worthy upgrade from er3se? I have the er3se but the price of er4sr seems good now. 😀

I think it is. More detail, especially low level stuff and a bit more extension up top. FWIW, I found jumping to the ER4 series to be worth the price when the price for the ER4SRs and XRs was higher than it generally is now. If you dig the Ety sound, the ER4 series of your choice (SR or XR) is the quintessential Etymotic IEM.

Apr 9, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #18,522 of 19,256
I have the ER4SR, ER4XR, and ER3SE. To me, the ER4SR is the best by far, and this becomes more obvious as the quality of the recording and the quality of the source improve. I would highly recommend a balanced (as opposed to a single-ended) source. The ER4SR just has a lot more resolution.

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #18,523 of 19,256
Hello everyone,

any recommendations/solutions for a 4.4mm BAL cable, ≤100 USD/EUR, with available shipping to Europe?

- the official Etymotic balanced cable with an additional 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter?
- the official Etymotic balanced cable and soldering a 4.4mm plug?
- a standard MMCX cable with an additional adapter to Etymotic-MMCX?
- a standard MMCX cable and grinding down the notch on the driver housings?
- any cable and soldering compatible MMCX connectors?
- a cable from lunashop and hoping that the sold one exactly matches the pictures in the shop?

Any better/easier solutions?
Are there any other shops/brands with Etymotic compatible MMCX cables?

P1180928.jpg
picture source: https://e4ua.jp/?p=2827
My experience with some balanced Ety cables from AE:
EachDIY Earphone Parts Store: one failed, one OK.
Lunashops: one on the way
HIFI Store: one silver cable well-used and OK.

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #18,524 of 19,256
I think it is. More detail, especially low level stuff and a bit more extension up top. FWIW, I found jumping to the ER4 series to be worth the price when the price for the ER4SRs and XRs was higher than it generally is now. If you dig the Ety sound, the ER4 series of your choice (SR or XR) is the quintessential Etymotic IEM.
Thank u!!

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #18,525 of 19,256
I have the ER4SR, ER4XR, and ER3SE. To me, the ER4SR is the best by far, and this becomes more obvious as the quality of the recording and the quality of the source improve. I would highly recommend a balanced (as opposed to a single-ended) source. The ER4SR just has a lot more resolution.
Any balanced 4.4mm cable u can recommend? 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back