If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 9, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #18,316 of 19,249
I posted a recommendation here a few weeks ago for a third party cable maker for Etymotic cables of many different varieties called LunaShops. They have their own website and an AliExpress store. I have purchased both premade cables from them for various pairs of Etys for myself and others and cable making supplies fir making my own cables.

All the cables I have gotten from them have been well made and work great. I currently own cabkes from them for my ER4XRs, a couple for some AKGs, two Hifiman cables, and a few random IEM cables. They do custom work on request when I wanted custom lengths and stuff. Now that I started making my own cables I buy some of my supplies from them.

All of this to say I would recommend you check their cables out. My favorite for my ER4XRs is their braided 8 core.

https://www.lunashops.com/

Edit: Tagging @Chaz1952 since I didn't respond to your post and want to make sure you see this.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #18,317 of 19,249
I posted a recommendation here a few weeks ago for a third party cable maker for Etymotic cables of many different varieties called LunaShops. They have their own website and an AliExpress store. I have purchased both premade cables from them for various pairs of Etys for myself and others and cable making supplies fir making my own cables.

All the cables I have gotten from them have been well made and work great. I currently own cabkes from them for my ER4XRs, a couple for some AKGs, two Hifiman cables, and a few random IEM cables. They do custom work on request when I wanted custom lengths and stuff. Now that I started making my own cables I buy some of my supplies from them.

All of this to say I would recommend you check their cables out. My favorite for my ER4XRs is their braided 8 core.

https://www.lunashops.com/

Edit: Tagging @Chaz1952 since I didn't respond to your post and want to make sure you see this.
Thanks. I ordered a set of their braided 8 core / 4.4mm balanced to try.

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #18,318 of 19,249
Nov 13, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #18,319 of 19,249
Got my ERX in yesterday, although didn't realize it until today... been a bit distracted with some other deep IEM rabbit holes between ordering these back when they were available for pre order in August.

Since most impressions were pre release and without final packaging and accessories, I thought I'd share my unboxing and initial impressions of the final product for my fellow Etymotic Enjoyers.

20221112_214727_HDR.jpg

I haven't ordered anything from 'Drop' in years (I sure do miss Massdrop lol), but their packaging aesthetic here is attractive and minimal. The IEM ships in a mini pizza box, containing case (with IEMs inside) and a trio of zippy baggies containing standard Ety double and the new style triple flange silicon tips. There are also 3 sizes of Westone silicon tips, which I opted for right away based on my very positive fit experience with the Westone Mach series. Interestingly, there are no foam tips included, just the 2 styles of silicon.

20221112_214816_HDR.jpg

The included case is entirely new to this product and unlike the Evo 'puck' the IEM units are free together with just the cable and tips for protection. Although the housing is very sturdy, I have found the Evo paint / shell to be very prone to scuffing and easy to mark, hopefully the midnight black color here is more durable, it sure does look nice. The blackbird style here is evocative of old school Etymotic Research for me. Always loved the understated all black, plastic classic ER4S, and this reminds me of it in a really nice way.

20221112_215447.jpg

A new linum cable is included, much thicker than stock Evo. It is a big improvement for me compared to the ultra thin stock one used on the Evo. The heavy shell of the ERX / Evo needs a minimally substantial cable to balance, whereas I do quite enjoy the spiderweb thin version on Westone Machs' vanishingly light shells. The ERX cable has molded ear hooks (which I like) and feels much less prone to tangle. It is neither as attractive or supple as the higher end SuperBax or UltraBax cables available from Ety/Westone, but it is a definite improvement to the Evo's.

Ergonomically, these are a complete improvement on the Evo across the board. I am excited to see what Etymotic prroduces next (rumors of 4 driver new flagship... yes please) if this is an indication of future project build.

Soundwise, less of an improvement vs. Evo to my ear. This is very familiar territory for me, I own both the Evo as well as every ER variant minus the ER4B (and my 4PT is no more, just a 4S now of the classic run). Knowing that the ERX is utilizing the ER4XR's BA I hear largely what my biases expect... the Westone tips are probably making a bigger difference for me than the new shell. Romantically, I really wish Ety/Drop had opted for a single dynamic driver instead, it'd be interesting to hear what Ety could do with a dynamic driver with more room than the old bullets, but I'd be interested just to hear how the ER2X's driver worked instead...

The value prospect here is similarly unclear. I got these on the initial sale price for $250, but now they are the 'normal' $299. In contrast, the Evo is generally available way below MSRP, right now on Amazon they are cheaper than the ERX, ~$285. I definitely prefer the sound of the Evo, and you could use the $15 you saved to buy Westone tips... unless you really hate the cable enough to compromise on sound I just can't think of a scenario where this pricing/value makes sense.

Nov 13, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #18,320 of 19,249
The value prospect here is similarly unclear. I got these on the initial sale price for $250, but now they are the 'normal' $299. In contrast, the Evo is generally available way below MSRP, right now on Amazon they are cheaper than the ERX, ~$285. I definitely prefer the sound of the Evo, and you could use the $15 you saved to buy Westone tips... unless you really hate the cable enough to compromise on sound I just can't think of a scenario where this pricing/value makes sense.
Many thanks for your views. I was tempted by the ERX. Not long ago my favorite iems were the ER4XR, out came the Evo andd I bought them in April. I am really happy with their sound. Now my favorite iem. Two things I did not like: the cable, I bought the Superbax though a local Westone distributor. So much better, I would say perfect. The other thing is minor, but like you, the paint is coming off one of the iems. The ERX was tempting but seems from your words clearly a step down from the Evo.

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #18,323 of 19,249
ER3SE is little warmer and some people just prefer timbre of a dynamic driver in ER2SE, but ER3SE is little better in terms of technicalities. Tbh both of them are great and you wouldn't regret buying either of it.
I have both the ex2xr and er3xr and find they complement each other, the ex3 has slightly better details and the ex2 has that wonderful dynamic timbre.

I have bought and returned/sold the evo and ex4xr as i found both technically better but not as involving, to me they both sounded too bright and (imo) sterile. The ex3 isn warmer and seemed to be voiced differently to the ex4.

d

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #18,324 of 19,249
ER2SE or ER3SE, roughly at the same price?

For me the name if the game when I go to my Etys is resolution. My pick with them will always favor the version with the best technicalities that is in your price range so if I were you I would go with the ER3s, for sure.

As a guy who has owned ER2s, ER3s, and ER4s, I think the timbral benefits people attribute to the ER2s are overstated by most. Being intimately familiar with both, I just don't think the relatively minor timbre benefit if the ER2s is worth the, IMO, relatively greater hit you take in technicalities. I want to make it clear that I'm not saying the ER2s are a big downgrade in resolution, just that the difference is big enough that I think it outweighs the benefits of going with the ER2s for their DD.

For me it was as simple as that. I grab my Etys when I want a straightforward and very detailed studio quality presentation and each successive model/series does that better than the last. Thus, for me ER2<ER3<ER4.

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #18,325 of 19,249
For me the name if the game when I go to my Etys is resolution. My pick with them will always favor the version with the best technicalities that is in your price range so if I were you I would go with the ER3s, for sure.

As a guy who has owned ER2s, ER3s, and ER4s, I think the timbral benefits people attribute to the ER2s are overstated by most. Being intimately familiar with both, I just don't think the relatively minor timbre benefit if the ER2s is worth the, IMO, relatively greater hit you take in technicalities. I want to make it clear that I'm not saying the ER2s are a big downgrade in resolution, just that the difference is big enough that I think it outweighs the benefits of going with the ER2s for their DD.

For me it was as simple as that. I grab my Etys when I want a straightforward and very detailed studio quality presentation and each successive model/series does that better than the last. Thus, for me ER2<ER3<ER4.
I quite agree. I have the ER2XR, 3XR and 4XR (and Evo). Of the classical ERs to me also each is better than the lower number. The ER2XR is usually very good value, but if you can get the 3 for a similar price to the 2, personally I would not doubt getting the 3.

Nov 25, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #18,326 of 19,249
Well I already own the er2 xr, er3xr and er4 se and today I’ve ordered a new er4 xr as it was only £250. Ety addict!

Nov 26, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #18,328 of 19,249
So I got the new AirPods Pro 2 the other day and have been using them the last few days. They sound nice and have a more “fun” sound than the ER4SR, but I’m listening to my ER4SR right now and I still love them. Even though they don’t have the big sub-bass of the Pros I still find them to be fun, but for other reasons.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #18,329 of 19,249
So I got the new AirPods Pro 2 the other day and have been using them the last few days. They sound nice and have a more “fun” sound than the ER4SR, but I’m listening to my ER4SR right now and I still love them. Even though they don’t have the big sub-bass of the Pros I still find them to be fun, but for other reasons.
I heard the some AirPod Pros a few months ago and the bass was out of control - too much lower mid bleed. I was much happier to go back to my XR's and SR's! I'm also a fan of Genelec monitors for regular home listening, so I've discovered that it is possible to casually enjoy music with a more flat/neutral system.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #18,330 of 19,249
I heard the some AirPod Pros a few months ago and the bass was out of control - too much lower mid bleed. I was much happier to go back to my XR's and SR's! I'm also a fan of Genelec monitors for regular home listening, so I've discovered that it is possible to casually enjoy music with a more flat/neutral system.
You heard the 1st gen or the 2nd gen? The second gen has boosted sub-bass, but the mid-bass isn’t too bad and I don’t really hear any bleed into the mids.

My ER4SR is obviously much clearer, but the APP2 is nice for a fun wireless set. My Etys stay at home, so the APP2 will be a good out of the house wireless set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back