If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 31, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #17,838 of 19,256
After owning the 3SE and using them for a few days what would you guys say is the biggest difference between them and their direct siblings, the 2SE and 4SE? I've went back a bit in the posts on here but I don't see a whole lot of discussion of that… (I might have missed it)
ER3SE is basically identical to the ER4P in sound signiature, perhaps some technical differences

May 31, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #17,839 of 19,256
After owning the 3SE and using them for a few days what would you guys say is the biggest difference between them and their direct siblings, the 2SE and 4SE? I've went back a bit in the posts on here but I don't see a whole lot of discussion of that… (I might have missed it)
2SE just sounds like a cheap DD with the Etymotic tuning. it has none of the resolution or speed that the 3SE has. I would only recommend an ER2 if you would like a "smoothed over" relaxing sound, but it's nothing amazing compared to the ER3.

Jun 1, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #17,840 of 19,256
2SE just sounds like a cheap DD with the Etymotic tuning. it has none of the resolution or speed that the 3SE has. I would only recommend an ER2 if you would like a "smoothed over" relaxing sound, but it's nothing amazing compared to the ER3.
It was mainly hyped for It typical DD bass not for detail, I remember when Reddit kept claiming the ER2SE was warmer than ER4XR despite the fact It a ER4SR tuning in DD IEM. The same ones would lash out when you can EQ the ER3/ER4 with 2XR bass.

Jun 1, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #17,841 of 19,256
It was mainly hyped for It typical DD bass not for detail, I remember when Reddit kept claiming the ER2SE was warmer than ER4XR despite the fact It a ER4SR tuning in DD IEM. The same ones would lash out when you can EQ the ER3/ER4 with 2XR bass.
To be fair the ER2SE measures with the most linear bass out of the SE/SR Etys, but it has bad bass decay and bad bassline clarity making it sound strangely "muddy". The bass quality is probably one of the worst I've heard in a DD, the bass decay was so bad I noticed it without even comparing it to anything else. Just writing this post I'm being reminded of the amount of frustration I had with the ER2SE just not having the clarity and instrument separation I wished for in my music. No amount of EQ could fix the ER2SE, it always sounded meh. When I got the ER3SE, it just ripped through everything the ER2SE couldn't handle. The ER2SE doesn't do treble properly, it sounds weirdly low res and even though the ER3SE is like... 5dB less treble than the ER2SE across the range, the treble still sounds much more detailed on the ER3SE. Now the only thing it actually does better is rumble. The bass on the ER3SE doesn't actually rumble, but the ER3SE's bass actually slams pretty hard so the bass on it feels like it's a lot more than the ER2SE, while still sounding clean and fast.

Jun 2, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #17,842 of 19,256
To be fair the ER2SE measures with the most linear bass out of the SE/SR Etys, but it has bad bass decay and bad bassline clarity making it sound strangely "muddy". The bass quality is probably one of the worst I've heard in a DD, the bass decay was so bad I noticed it without even comparing it to anything else. Just writing this post I'm being reminded of the amount of frustration I had with the ER2SE just not having the clarity and instrument separation I wished for in my music. No amount of EQ could fix the ER2SE, it always sounded meh. When I got the ER3SE, it just ripped through everything the ER2SE couldn't handle. The ER2SE doesn't do treble properly, it sounds weirdly low res and even though the ER3SE is like... 5dB less treble than the ER2SE across the range, the treble still sounds much more detailed on the ER3SE. Now the only thing it actually does better is rumble. The bass on the ER3SE doesn't actually rumble, but the ER3SE's bass actually slams pretty hard so the bass on it feels like it's a lot more than the ER2SE, while still sounding clean and fast.
The ER3SE can rumble with stock or with 6db bass It just doesn't over do it thanks to it really stiff metal diaphragm.

Jun 2, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #17,843 of 19,256
Hey folks! What is the best way to macgyver an ER3SE to ER4SR if EQ isn't available?

20 Ohms Penon/30 Ohms DUNU impedance adapter or Etymotic filter tuning kit?

Will inserting an impedance adapter straight into a headphone amp cause any issue? Should I use an Ifi iEMatch+?

:v:

Jun 2, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #17,844 of 19,256
Hey folks! What is the best way to macgyver an ER3SE to ER4SR if EQ isn't available?

Will inserting an impedance adapter straight into a headphone amp cause any issue? Should I use an Ifi iEMatch+?

I’d try the filter kit first. I’m using the orange filter and it makes a difference.

Jun 3, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #17,845 of 19,256
For me ER2SE has a better response than ER3SE. The ER2SE has a flatter response, and a open treble. The sound is also cleaner and softer. I was frustrated that my ER3SE didn't sound like clean headphones like planar headphone (low distortion), yes the ER3SE is detailed but feels dirty and hard. When I tried ER2SE I was surprised, it feels cleaner and softer.
I would say the ER3SE is too dirty and sharp at the same time. The ER2SE as clean and soft, reminds me of low-distortion planar headphones (of course still can't keep up with how clean planar headphones are).

Jun 3, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #17,846 of 19,256

Still can't be 100% the same because they use different drivers.
20 or 30 ohms is still too dark to match the ER4SR treble. You need about 50-82 ohms, but it can't be 100% the same. I myself enjoy adding 68 ohms on the ER3SE.

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #17,847 of 19,256
I’d try the filter kit first. I’m using the orange filter and it makes a difference.
Thanks for this and the previous tip on ear-tips.

You fitted your ER4XR with the orange filters? What did it do? Does this jury-rig your ER4XR to a ER3XR?
Still can't be 100% the same because they use different drivers.
20 or 30 ohms is still too dark to match the ER4SR treble. You need about 50-82 ohms, but it can't be 100% the same. I myself enjoy adding 68 ohms on the ER3SE.
Has it been confirmed that they use different drivers? Perhaps as @EtyDave pointed out in 2017, "not strictly identical, but definitely share a lot of similarities."

I'm cautious of impedance adapter because quality vary so much.

I'm leaning towards the tuning kit since:
1. I'm only a little nosy of how the ER4SR sounds and the difference between it and the ER3SE. I subscribe to Pareto principle.
2. I do find the ER3SE sharp/shouty at times as some have described. I do respect the accuracy, akin to a well-calibrated medium.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #17,848 of 19,256
Thanks for this and the previous tip on ear-tips.

You fitted your ER4XR with the orange filters? What did it do? Does this jury-rig your ER4XR to a ER3XR?

Has it been confirmed that they use different drivers? Perhaps as @EtyDave pointed out in 2017, "not strictly identical, but definitely share a lot of similarities."

I'm cautious of impedance adapter because quality vary so much.

I'm leaning towards the tuning kit since:
1. I'm only a little nosy of how the ER4SR sounds and the difference between it and the ER3SE. I subscribe to Pareto principle.
2. I do find the ER3SE sharp/shouty at times as some have described. I do respect the accuracy, akin to a well-calibrated medium.
Even the ER4SR and ER4XR use different drivers. Someone on a Chinese forum once opened both to see what kind of driver was used. So it is very possible that the ER3SE and ER4SR have different drivers even though they may have the same performance. Differences in the frequency of response can occur even though the impedance has been equalized.

If you intend to use an impedance adapter, avoid Dunu, their impedance adapter response is strange when used on the ER3SE.

In my opinion ER3SE is not shouty, it lacks upper mid (2.7kHz). Inserting it deeper might help.

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #17,849 of 19,256
Hey folks, I'm taking a hard look at the ER4XR as an upgrade over my ER2XR. Right now my chief complaint about the ER2XR is that it sounds thin, with no soundstage depth. I was hoping the ER4XR would remedy that but I've read in a number of places that it too sounds "thin." Can anyone comment?

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #17,850 of 19,256
Hey folks, I'm taking a hard look at the ER4XR as an upgrade over my ER2XR. Right now my chief complaint about the ER2XR is that it sounds thin, with no soundstage depth. I was hoping the ER4XR would remedy that but I've read in a number of places that it too sounds "thin." Can anyone comment?
They only sound thin if you compare them to something that sounds thicker and fuller. That goes for both ER4XR and all other brighter headphones. But the signature is a matter of adjusting your ears to them. If you do so you will begin to appreciate the resolution, speed and open window to the music. Happy listening :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back