If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 26, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #17,806 of 19,256
2 days ago I ordered Comply P Series eartips from Amazon TR. I tested it yesterday with the Etymotic ER3SE for several hours. Thus, the lack of bass of the earphone was eliminated. ER3SE now has a much more regular sound. There is currently no dominant voice. Considering that ER3SE is a studio reference earphone, ER3SE may function better from now on. Also, Complys are much more comfortable than triple flange eartips. ER3SE perform more successfully, especially for aggressive/fast music genres such as death metal, thrash metal and core music.

I’ve never had much luck with foams. I use the large three flange tips. But I have considered the Comply P series. They appear to be longer and a tad fatter than their standard and might actually work in my ears.

May 26, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #17,807 of 19,256
2 days ago I ordered Comply P Series eartips from Amazon TR. I tested it yesterday with the Etymotic ER3SE for several hours. Thus, the lack of bass of the earphone was eliminated. ER3SE now has a much more regular sound. There is currently no dominant voice. Considering that ER3SE is a studio reference earphone, ER3SE may function better from now on. Also, Complys are much more comfortable than triple flange eartips. ER3SE perform more successfully, especially for aggressive/fast music genres such as death metal, thrash metal and core music.
These?
https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Profe...eplacement/dp/B003VNB0UC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?th=1

May 26, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #17,808 of 19,256
May 26, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #17,809 of 19,256
Yes. Exactly these are.

I use the same. With the small size I can get deep insertion that's much more comfortable than the regular triple (or double) flanges.

May 26, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #17,810 of 19,256
I use the same. With the small size I can get deep insertion that's much more comfortable than the regular triple (or double) flanges.
I am using M size. Normally i use L size eartips. But M size is okay for me with foam type eartips. Default triple flanges jamming my brain. Even with low size. I don't really know how people use them. Maybe i get one pair Comply Foam Tsx-500 for my FiiO FD5 iems.

May 27, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #17,811 of 19,256
Small size, triple flanges are stiffer and painful for me but the large clear ones, after a few months of getting used to them, are just great now. Sound is better than with small ones as well.
Tips aside, the Oratory's EQ took my 2se to a whole new level of awesomeness. Highly recommended.

May 27, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #17,813 of 19,256
I think there is also a think like too-deep-of-an-insertion. 😅
But I guess you have tried all the in-between depths so whatever fits best...

May 27, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #17,815 of 19,256
Yeah. I just have cavernous ear canals. That's why I'm still hunting for the perfect tip.
I would try triple flange foam hybrids, they pretty much create an air tight seal for me that makes it difficult to remove the Ety for me.

this is how i did it:
Take the plastic core out of the ety foamie
Cut a reasonably sized donut from the foamie, enough to fill the bottom flange of the er38-15sm tip.
Put the donut around the body of the ety (not the nozzle)
Then put the er38-15sm triple flange tip on
Now invert the bottom flange to reveal the stem
Now push the foam into the bottom flange, then compress it
Then put the bottom flange back into shape

May 27, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #17,816 of 19,256
Most thankful for your help, where can I find the adaptor with the resistor, that would be the long term fix
AW Audio has one in P, S and B versions. I trust this one because there are measurements of the S version here https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2015/11/four-pairs-of-etymotic-research-er-4ss.html

I found some eBay links but I'm sure they sell them at other places too.
P version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304398367207
S version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304398366315
B version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303354532883

May 27, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #17,817 of 19,256
I think there is also a think like too-deep-of-an-insertion. 😅
But I guess you have tried all the in-between depths so whatever fits best...
bruv, to me seal is more important than depth.

Maybe I just can't stand true neutral. Perhaps I am shallow-inserting and getting a bunch of pleasant harmonic resonances in my canal.

May 27, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #17,819 of 19,256
Put the donut around the body of the ety (not the nozzle)

I'm not sure about that one. I clicked on the link in your signature, and it looks like you put the foam doughnut around the stem, so I must be misunderstanding something.

By the way, I tried something similar with the Westone silicone tips a little while ago. It actually made things worse because the tips were already too big for a deep insertion and the foam made them less able to contract to fit my ear canals. I'll try again with smaller tips. Which I'll have to purchase. <sigh>

Attachments

• IMG_20220523_081435572.jpg
    IMG_20220523_081435572.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220523_081634018.jpg
    IMG_20220523_081634018.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220523_081655100.jpg
    IMG_20220523_081655100.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
May 28, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #17,820 of 19,256
So a few impressions after using the ER3SE for a couple days.

First of all I had read these were neutral and people were not joking, this might be the most slate grey pair of IEMs I've ever had. It's the first time I ever turn on the "Mega Bass" feature on one of my Discman and feel like it's almost about the right amount of bass… Unheard of. I think I might use them with a tad of EQ mostly to get 200Hz and lower a bit louder because that region feels very quiet otherwise. I thought I liked neutral headphones/IEMs but this is making me feel like I haven't had truly neutral ones up until now. I feel like they're a bit clinical but it might be that I just need some adjustment time.

Second, the triple flange tips installed on them by default are murderous for the ears in my opinion, I couldn't really bear to wear them for more than 15/20 minutes before I felt like they wanted to perforate my eardrums. Thankfully the double flange ones included in the box are way more comfortable and completely solve this issue for me.

I also really enjoy the variety of accessories on offer, the little pouch is very nice, the range of tips on offer is very appreciable and it feels like the general package has been put together with care. I thought they might replace my small Zero Audio Carbo Tenore as sleeping earbuds but unfortunately they jut out quite a bit more than those so the Carbo are still on duty for listening to some ambient to fall asleep to. I'm not too miffed about it though as the ER3SE make great IEMs for walking outside now that the temperature feels a bit too high to wear my ANC cans out and about. I'll still have the cans for commuting on the train (even if the 1000XM3s don't sound as good, and I have to nerf the bass on them), but when walking down the street or blocking out most of the sounds of radio in shops and noisy streets they're pretty great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back