If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 29, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #17,446 of 19,256
Sure, it outputs what it's fed. And that's good, if what its fed is intended to be heard that way, which I think is usually the case for most genres of music. My point is just that some contemporary artists that want you to hear a huge amt. of bass probably tone it down a bit in the mix in anticipation that otherwise it'll bloat in a pair of Beats or most phones used today, with their innate enhanced bass response. So in this case the SR, outputting what its fed, is actually not what you're meant to hear. Sure you can do a bass boost to compensate for that, personally I dont like using an equalizer if I can avoid it.
Interesting theory, but I think earlier the opposite happens. I am sorry not being able (at this moment) to cite the rather credible source talking increasing bass levels over the years since ~1990's. Metal's scooped amplifier settings, their obsession to go to lower registers (adding strings even :p), pop following simple (speculation: on average enhanced?) 4/4 bass beats when electronic music like dance & house became mainstream. I cannot speak for the sector as a non-expert, but it seems to me that your proposed bass-issues are more applicable with recordings < 1980. Loose proof for this can be found when comparing 'remasters' of earlier music (e.g. Metallica's Master of puppets). Kendrick Lamar's Swimming Pools or Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise are excellent examples of bass-heavy songs missing nothing on the Er4SR

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #17,447 of 19,256
Not sure If I'm the only one but It really odd seeing how in any IEM community, It feels like you have to fight off people if your daily drivers are BA based?. The ER4XR are my sweet spot for bass but when when leave a mini impression, I come back with 15+ comments only talking about the 4XR being 1% THD wise or BA timbre.
Welcome to Earth, were the species considering themselves "most intelligent" are typically typical. Maybe it is because most people look at certain/all topics from 1 frame of mind only:
e.g. What driver type? What brand is it? Does friend A-Z also have this? How much does it cost? What chain do you use? Do you apply some EQ to counter weaknesses? Should we electrify everything to curb climate change (creating material problems instead, and ignoring most of the problem)? Can I buy/use new technology so that I won't have to adapt my behaviour/way-of-life? Do I want children? Do you want children?

True characters are rarely found outside novels

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #17,448 of 19,256
Coming from the older Shure single-BA SE315 I can state without any doubt, that the Er4 outpaces it by a few orders of magnitude. As Shure's some_other_numbers-se310-se315 were more or less equal (the latter with a bass-port to 'flatten' its response somewhat like the ~XR), I guestimate that the Aonic 3 would be sad for your ears.
Sadly (or not)... I have bought Aonic 3 :D But while ER4 (in my case B) is way ahead in terms of treble rendering, the overall sound of Aonic 3 isn't that bad, like, right now I have more problems regarding "ergonomics" with my B (sound imbalance issues) than having trouble with the sound of the 3.

Still thinking about committing fully to using only foams for my ER4B to eliminate my issues, but that's gonna cost a lot due to how fragile ety foams are, or just enjoy my 3 and all the ergonomics it gives me, with the sound a two or three steps below Ety quality but still really enjoyable overall.

Well... priorities... and decisions decisions... :D

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #17,449 of 19,256
Sadly (or not)... I have bought Aonic 3 :D But while ER4 (in my case B) is way ahead in terms of treble rendering, the overall sound of Aonic 3 isn't that bad, like, right now I have more problems regarding "ergonomics" with my B (sound imbalance issues) than having trouble with the sound of the 3.

Still thinking about committing fully to using only foams for my ER4B to eliminate my issues, but that's gonna cost a lot due to how fragile ety foams are, or just enjoy my 3 and all the ergonomics it gives me, with the sound a two or three steps below Ety quality but still really enjoyable overall.

I read it in a later post, decisions decisions.

I can somewhat relate as I lost the ability to listen to my Er4XR's between September and just now, sad. Possibly my assumption on performance is close, e.g. CrinAcle also mentions problems with the Aonic series compared to their older brothers.

I do also have that the (large) Ety tri-flanges deteriorate extremely fast (compared to Shure foams that is. Idea: can you deep-insert the small olives from Shure, possibly not affecting the signature?).
They are expensive and hard to get in NL, but the Belgian importer had some lying around apparently. I would have gone very far to get the fit right; either by buying loads of them, or buying a set somewhat-comparing with the Er4, apparently something like the Blessing 2 (dusk even?). Custom molds are also an option, but I have the idea from pictures of them on the Er4 are rather undeep...

I hope you find some method of optimising fit & performance.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #17,450 of 19,256
I read it in a later post, decisions decisions.

I can somewhat relate as I lost the ability to listen to my Er4XR's between September and just now, sad. Possibly my assumption on performance is close, e.g. Crinicle also mentions problems with the Aonic series compared to their older brothers.

I do also have that the (large) Ety tri-flanges deteriorate extremely fast (compared to Shure foams that is. Idea: can you deep-insert the small olives from Shure, possibly not affecting the signature?).
They are expensive and hard to get in NL, but the Belgian importer had some lying around apparently. I would have gone very far to get the fit right; either by buying loads of them, or buying a set somewhat-comparing with the Er4, apparently something like the Blessing 2 (dusk even?). Custom molds are also an option, but I have the idea from pictures of them on the Er4 are rather undeep...

I hope you find some method of optimising fit & performance.
Thank you for the reply.

I've tried Shure olives way. Somehow they sound way worse on ety than on Aonic 3 :D It's just the treble lost the brightness, and the bass became a bit loose. Mid became kinda laid back too. So wonky overall. So, yeah, have to get the ety foams, buying them in bulk pack of 50, and buying multiple packs. But I have to sell my unused three packs of triple flanges and then think about what to do with the Aonic, or just sell the aonic too. No money for now after blindly buying the Aonic :D

Or yeah, I can use your second idea, which is looking for something "normal" but sounding close to ety. But then I also need to do something with my Aonic 3. And even worse, I thought Aonic 3 would be similar to ety, which it is not (although, again, quite enjoyable overall). And then there's the isolation issues, as only Shure, Westone, and Klipsch so far in my experience that can match Ety's isolation.

Or... maybe I should buy some Westone star tips foams hmmm....

Custom... I have a local custom manufacturer, but I don't know about Ety, I hope it doesn't need anything special (like the depth, or the angle, or something), as this local guy have only been manufacturing custom iems with their own drivers.

Decisions decisions :D But yeah, no matter what, Ety is just something special. I'm already cursed to not really enjoy other IEMs...

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #17,451 of 19,256
Thank you for the reply.

I've tried Shure olives way. Somehow they sound way worse on ety than on Aonic 3 :D It's just the treble lost the brightness, and the bass became a bit loose. Mid became kinda laid back too. So wonky overall. So, yeah, have to get the ety foams, buying them in bulk pack of 50, and buying multiple packs. But I have to sell my unused three packs of triple flanges and then think about what to do with the Aonic, or just sell the aonic too. No money for now after blindly buying the Aonic :D

Or yeah, I can use your second idea, which is looking for something "normal" but sounding close to ety. But then I also need to do something with my Aonic 3. And even worse, I thought Aonic 3 would be similar to ety, which it is not (although, again, quite enjoyable overall). And then there's the isolation issues, as only Shure, Westone, and Klipsch so far in my experience that can match Ety's isolation.

Or... maybe I should buy some Westone star tips foams hmmm....

Custom... I have a local custom manufacturer, but I don't know about Ety, I hope it doesn't need anything special (like the depth, or the angle, or something), as this local guy have only been manufacturing custom iems with their own drivers.

Decisions decisions :D But yeah, no matter what, Ety is just something special. I'm already cursed to not really enjoy other IEMs...
I compared back-to-back the SE315s with the Sony wireless headphone XM3 at some point - detail-wise the Shure's ahead, even though the soundscape of the Sony's also easy identification and placement of sounds. I then switched the olive-foamies out for the silicone-tips and the signature became much warmer. I have 'enjoyed' the comfort and pretty good isolation of the Shure's for some 8 years. My SE315 died on one end, but I won't go back to Shure.

The league of the Er4 is something else - isolation, detail, accuracy, form factor. I would seriously start thinking about expensive foamies or other more expensive ways in your situation. Have you tried the Klipsch X12i, seem somewhat similar? Otherwise the Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor could possibly be pretty good as well. But that is based on other's preferences as if there is soooo much difference between high-end sets (limit laws, statistics on FR and placebo/nocebo/etc distort immeasurably the D-..-A-S-tier rankings and such attempts).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #17,452 of 19,256
On accuracy vs detail quantity:

I find that on the Er4 I can near-instantly recognise settings of guitar/amp/effects ('tone') on e.g. Satriani's guitar work. Elsewhere this was very much guesswork (level of I hear a some phaser+interval or some reverb, but with shady magnitudes). This I find handy, but also is leaps and bounds beyond what I have been used to. This may be due to the level of detail or accuracy-at-the-eardrum.

How is this for much more expensive IEMs? Some here have got extremely expensive sets U12t, Z1R, ThieAudio, etc. I know that for some of those the FR is not necessarily flat, and so I theorise that interval-stuff like delay, phaser, etc might be accurately displayed on those as well, but that the magnitudes may be harder to discern, due to relative emphasis-shifting in some places of the FR.

The reason is that while the Er4XR and SR are technically very close, I find the SR seemingly provides more transparency/clearity & bass-texture. I was not expecting that, just less (overstatement-warning!) boomy sound. It may just be some psychological effects of course; maybe you can help me out?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #17,453 of 19,256

Use yellow Shure foams :)

Jan 31, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #17,454 of 19,256
On accuracy vs detail quantity:

I find that on the Er4 I can near-instantly recognise settings of guitar/amp/effects ('tone') on e.g. Satriani's guitar work. Elsewhere this was very much guesswork (level of I hear a some phaser+interval or some reverb, but with shady magnitudes). This I find handy, but also is leaps and bounds beyond what I have been used to. This may be due to the level of detail or accuracy-at-the-eardrum.

How is this for much more expensive IEMs? Some here have got extremely expensive sets U12t, Z1R, ThieAudio, etc. I know that for some of those the FR is not necessarily flat, and so I theorise that interval-stuff like delay, phaser, etc might be accurately displayed on those as well, but that the magnitudes may be harder to discern, due to relative emphasis-shifting in some places of the FR.

The reason is that while the Er4XR and SR are technically very close, I find the SR seemingly provides more transparency/clearity & bass-texture. I was not expecting that, just less (overstatement-warning!) boomy sound. It may just be some psychological effects of course; maybe you can help me out?
100% agree, and it's actually why I exchanged the 4XR for the 4SR. Boominess was just annoying

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #17,456 of 19,256
Just got a pair of ER4P-T's.

Blown away by the imaging, separation, soundstage (yes!), bass (yes, it has SLAM).
Bass is enough.
Pianos sound great.
Vocals sound amazing.
Rap sounds amazing.
Pop sounds amazing.

Isolation is out of this world. Can barely hear myself breathe.
Could u compare to ER4SR or anything else?

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #17,457 of 19,256
Just got a pair of ER4P-T's.

Blown away by the imaging, separation, soundstage (yes!), bass (yes, it has SLAM).
Bass is enough.
Pianos sound great.
Vocals sound amazing.
Rap sounds amazing.
Pop sounds amazing.

Isolation is out of this world. Can barely hear myself breathe.
What about adding PtoS adapter?

Feb 1, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #17,459 of 19,256
Could u compare to ER4SR or anything else?
I only tried the ER4SR for about an hour and since it was my first time with an Etymotic I don't think I had deep enough insertion. All the same, I felt that the er4p had perhaps a slightly more natural sound, maybe because of the tilt.

These are far clearer than my HD600s, and are better than the Sundaras; that's the only things I have tried worth comparing them to. The separation and soundstage are better than the nuraphones which is saying a bit. The sound is incredibly clear. Don't know if it is the frequency response or the balanced armature effect. I hope to try the ER2SE once it is available in Europe.

Feb 1, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #17,460 of 19,256
What about adding PtoS adapter?
I tried it and got fatigue after about a minute. I know this is because the brighter treble and that it probably just takes some getting used to. Also, I probably need an amp. Was powering off my PC and an Apple dongle (which, by the way, powers my HD600 just fine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back