If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #17,206 of 19,249
@etymoticofficial your thoughts on this?

https://old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/qpz04e/fake_er2se_from_adorama_pics_compared_to_amazon/

Having played around for years in the cheap chifi rabbithole, I just want a durable IEM that lasts me years assuming reasonable maintenance and the etymotics seem to be it from all reports online I've gathered.
(A moondrop aria I had developed a driver issue 3 months in - a manufacturing defect that I got refunded for.)

The OP alleges a weaker, stiffer cable and a cheaper feeling case. Reports like this have me concerned about the long term durability of the IEM, as I've been itching to get an er2 for quite some time now.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #17,207 of 19,249
@etymoticofficial your thoughts on this?

https://old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/qpz04e/fake_er2se_from_adorama_pics_compared_to_amazon/

Having played around for years with the cheap chifi rabbithole, I just want a durable IEM that lasts me years assuming reasonable maintenance and the etymotics seem to be it from all reports online I've gathered.
(A moondrop aria I had developed a driver issue 3 months in - a manufacturing defect that I got refunded for.)

The OP alleges a weaker, stiffer cable and a cheaper feeling case. Reports like this have me concerned about the long term durability of the IEM, as I've been itching to get an er2 for quite some time now.
As far as the case differences, I think they're both legit. My original ER2XR had the first case, and the warranty replacement I got from Etymotic a few months ago had the new, slipperier, "cheaper feeling" case.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #17,209 of 19,249
As far as the case differences, I think they're both legit. My original ER2XR had the first case, and the warranty replacement I got from Etymotic a few months ago had the new, slipperier, "cheaper feeling" case.
A lower quality case I can put up with, since it's a nonessential accessory and most people buying earphones in this range probably have a few lying around or can get one cheap.

But the cable thing I don't understand, partly because it's exclusive to the IEM design(so spares are difficult to find) and partly because, there wasn't a price cut to warrant a corresponding quality drop( like it is with most chifi).

The er2 still retails for a hundred bucks most places I know outside of adorama (and even that is a trick I doubt most know about) and at that price, one tends to expect a certain level of quality.

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #17,210 of 19,249
Based on the photos, I expect that those are both real.

The cases have changed a couple of times over the years. And while there are incremental changes here and there on the cables, one really shouldn't be wildly stiffer than the other. There haven't been any cost-based changes to the cable design and the newer ones should be the same quality as the older ones.

Nov 10, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #17,212 of 19,249
After many years, at least ten years if I remember correctly, my ER4s begin to sound intermittent on the left side, I email Etymotic twice asking about the possibility of having it repaired to no avail, they simply did not respond. My pair still sound very good and I want to have them fixed, have anyone any other solutions that I can consider please

Nov 13, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #17,213 of 19,249
PSX_20211113_211041.jpg

It certainly has been awhile since the last time I built an cable for Etymotic.

Nov 14, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #17,214 of 19,249
Hey, are the ER3-XRs still made in China?
My pair came with a 1-2 dB channel imbalance and a faulty cable.
Pretty poor impression for my first pair of Etys. It even put me off IEMs for a couple of years.
My ER2-XR though, made in Vietnam, seem to be perfect and even renewed my interest. I'm now eyeing the ER4 because that Ety sound is... *chef kiss*

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #17,215 of 19,249
Hey, are the ER3-XRs still made in China?
My pair came with a 1-2 dB channel imbalance and a faulty cable.
Pretty poor impression for my first pair of Etys. It even put me off IEMs for a couple of years.
My ER2-XR though, made in Vietnam, seem to be perfect and even renewed my interest. I'm now eyeing the ER4 because that Ety sound is... *chef kiss*
All ER series are now made in Vietnam as I know.
and both China and Vietnam factorys are under same company.

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #17,219 of 19,249
PSX_20211113_211041.jpg

It certainly has been awhile since the last time I built an cable for Etymotic.

Cable looks lovely, would love to own one (clumsy hands not a DIYer tho)

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #17,220 of 19,249
Filter Offer

Hi everybody, I’m making a big purchase from digikey so will be getting stuff shipped from USA to UK. As some of you may know, digikey sell etymotic (Knowles) filters for about $1.50 per filter. If anybody has any requests then please let me know type of filter (colour or its resistance in ohms) and quantity. I will then add these to my delivery and arrange shipping to whatever country you’re in.

For those interested in sorting out their own delivery, here’s the link to search results:

https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/produc...B3ANgUwM4AICGAxkgK5YAuAlgTgCZ4C2ADhgE4gC6AvkA

Thanks all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back