If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 2, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #17,071 of 19,254
I just received a pair of ER4XR and wow. I'm listening to Bach cantatas and the clarity really is astounding. I'm enjoying the hell out of these. The bass is fine in most things. I gave Saint-Saëns organ symphany a quick listen and was impressed by, again, the clarity. I could hear the organ remarkably distinctly. Perhaps it lacked a bit of sub-bass power, but I can live with it. And that's one of the few pieces of music I can think of where that might be a requirement.

This is what we are doing here in this hobby. Getting excellent equipment with our budget. Why? To improve the listening experience! Congratulations on making that leap and enjoy!

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #17,072 of 19,254
***Attention Comparison Seekers***

I currently have a set of ER4XR and tomorrow will be receiving a pair of ER4SR.
Will do a comparison write up using green filters (stock) on both, using Tidal’s Master quality tracks and a standard lightning to headphone jack apple DAC/adapter on an iPhone X.

Also for the perfect fit and fair comparison I will be using custom moulded earplugs specially made for the ER4 by Snugs UK. This will ensure the best fit possible and that I’m definitely getting through to the second bend in the ear canal.

If anybody has any song requests for me to do a comparison of (and specifically perhaps a section of the song you’d like for me to focus on) then please let me know and I’ll gladly dissect it for you as best as I can :)

Speak soon everybody!

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #17,073 of 19,254
***Attention Comparison Seekers***

I currently have a set of ER4XR and tomorrow will be receiving a pair of ER4SR.
Will do a comparison write up using green filters (stock) on both, using Tidal’s Master quality tracks and a standard lightning to headphone jack apple DAC/adapter on an iPhone X.

Also for the perfect fit and fair comparison I will be using custom moulded earplugs specially made for the ER4 by Snugs UK. This will ensure the best fit possible and that I’m definitely getting through to the second bend in the ear canal.

If anybody has any song requests for me to do a comparison of (and specifically perhaps a section of the song you’d like for me to focus on) then please let me know and I’ll gladly dissect it for you as best as I can :)

Speak soon everybody!
I'm looking forward to reading this. I find my XR has the "right" amount of bass. But maybe I'd think the same thing if I had the SR? Also, some reviews say that the SR has a touch better treble and is better and giving space to different instruments. Just a touch. But I'd love to hear what you find.

Oct 4, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #17,074 of 19,254
I finally got a pair a few months ago but they never fit right so I put them in my drawer. Then I had an idea since I usually use these earplugs called Earasers and it worked.
1633324966400.png

If you get the renewal kit, its just the outside without the attenuation. The slim ety nozel happens to fit! I'm not sure how the sound compares to normal double, triple flanges, and foam but it works for me that they're usable now. Feels like a custom.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #17,075 of 19,254
I'm looking forward to reading this. I find my XR has the "right" amount of bass. But maybe I'd think the same thing if I had the SR? Also, some reviews say that the SR has a touch better treble and is better and giving space to different instruments. Just a touch. But I'd love to hear what you find.
Noticed this the 4XR bass feels more neutral & fuller than the 4SR. Never got the slightly muted treble and touch weaker soundstage if anything It sounds wider while smoothing out the treble without any clarity loss. It really impressive having sub bass rumble from a Single BA IEM which I think is from the vented BA than the actual boost, Since when I mimicked 4XR bass on the 4SR something felt missing.

I just tried the ER3XR + 75 ohm for 2 days, It sounds no different to a ER4XR I had.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #17,076 of 19,254
Noticed this the 4XR bass feels more neutral & fuller than the 4SR. Never got the slightly muted treble and touch weaker soundstage if anything It sounds wider while smoothing out the treble without any clarity loss. It really impressive having sub bass rumble from a Single BA IEM which I think is from the vented BA than the actual boost, Since when I mimicked 4XR bass on the 4SR something felt missing.

I just tried the ER3XR + 75 ohm for 2 days, It sounds no different to a ER4XR I had.

I get a similar result using a 25ohm impedance adapter I got from Penon Audio.

Oct 4, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #17,077 of 19,254
I finally got a pair a few months ago but they never fit right so I put them in my drawer. Then I had an idea since I usually use these earplugs called Earasers and it worked.
1633324966400.png

If you get the renewal kit, its just the outside without the attenuation. The slim ety nozel happens to fit! I'm not sure how the sound compares to normal double, triple flanges, and foam but it works for me that they're usable now. Feels like a custom.

Could you post a picture with the tips attached?

Oct 4, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #17,078 of 19,254
Could you post a picture with the tips attached?
No problem! Here are side and front photos. You can see I removed the attenuators from the earplugs first. Of course ymmv but it works for me.

I promise my sleeves are clear :joy:

Attachments

• 20211004_124720.jpg
    20211004_124720.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211004_124655.jpg
    20211004_124655.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #17,080 of 19,254
No problem! Here are side and front photos. You can see I removed the attenuators from the earplugs first. Of course ymmv but it works for me.

I promise my sleeves are clear :joy:

seeing the bigger bore size, and shorter distance from the nozzle, i reckon the treble response would be different compared to the original triple flange..not to worry though if you like it, as i bet this would fit much better.

if you do want to try single flange tip that sounds close to the triple flange, i highly recommend you try the Acoustune AET16 tips. I regularly use L size tips, but on the Etymotic i can get the M size to fit too for a slightly deeper fit, though the L would fit more snug for me

here's the picture of it that I posted :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...is-is-the-thread-for-you.538615/post-16530359

Oct 4, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #17,081 of 19,254
OK, so obviously this is not the full write up by any stretch of the imagination but all I have to say is this: The ER4SR are replacing the ER4XR for sure. Playing classical, psytrance, dubstep, pop, classic rock, heavy metal and electronica lead me to conclude that the SR is less noisy, has a slightly wider soundstage yet somehow more resolving and intimate at the same time (I think this is due to a feeling of more air between instruments/mix channels) and I'm actually enjoying the bass more without the more obvious thud. The rumble of sub-bass and the thud of a resonating psytrance kick is most definitely there and it lets you know so, but the thing that happens in the XR when it tries to up its bass game is you lose the detail in that note. If you need any evidence that the SR has a ton of sub-bass just stop listening to the bay-sayers and play Shitbox by Noisia - you’ll see exactly what I’m on about. The ER4 series are simply so unbelievably accurate that they spit out crap recordings instead of creating bass where it doesn’t belong. It has to have come from the mind of the artist and that’s what I love so sooo much about them! They respect the art so effortlessly.

I'm also really enjoying hearing the intricacy of how various bass notes attack and especially when they decay on the 4SR.

I want to repeat this particular point because it's quite new to me - I am able to hear layers of bass decay and yet still enjoy the presence of that note. What have Ety done here? Seriously this is pure magic. The 4XR have this to some level but I’m afraid some detailing is attenuated to the point where I could only hear it because I knew it’s there, after having discovered it on the 4SR - and at that point it’s probably just my brain filling gaps.

One very important point for those who listen to rock/metal or similar: I did not realise this until tonight but oh my goodness have I been missing out. Playing Gojra's new album, Fortitude, through the XR usually resulted in quite a bass heavy experience and (even though Gojira's mastering is top notch) I could at times even pass the track off as something being played as a 128 kbps mp3 file - until now. The culprit? Yup, the raised bass floor of the XR. Why? Well, you know that bass guitarist nobody ever pays attention to in the band? He/She comes through like an all consuming tidal wave on the XR! If you listen to the track Born For One Thing then within the first 35 seconds you'll know exactly what I mean. Listen through the SR and you shall be rewarded with supreme separation, now being able to pick out the bass and still headbang to its grit, but this is grit with detail :wink:

Just would like to conclude with the following that the ER4XR are definitely some of the best IEMs I have ever heard, and it is a long list of premiums I can promise you that. However, the SR, for my taste and musical needs, takes the experience just that bit higher and lets me hear all that beautiful texture I know the artist worked so hard on including. If you have the 4XR, try the SR if you can. And actually if you have the 4SR, try the XR because it might have what you're looking for if you need a little more bass 'feel'.

One more thing: I use these Etys to play along to tracks on my phone through my Roland TD25KV e-drums, the distortion is noticeably lower when using aux input from phone and playing the kit at the same time. With the XR it was kind of unusable in some cases - too muddy and noisy when things got busy. The 4SR definitely fixed this. Not a massive difference but no more muddiness in the mess, so I'm definitely a happy bunny now :)

For those interested, ER4XR THD lab measurements are approx 0.86% for both and ER4SR THD at approx 0.49%

And if anybody is wondering whether my 4XR is perhaps damaged or something then I can assure you it's not. I have two sets for the comparison (the other is my friend's) and the results are identical. She loves hers by the way but partilly agreed with me about the 4SR but isn't replacing her set.

Thanks guys and please rip my post apart any which way, would love to hear from people and suggestions on any tracks you'd like me to compare :)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #17,082 of 19,254
OK, so obviously this is not the full write up by any stretch of the imagination but all I have to say is this: The ER4SR are replacing the ER4XR for sure. Playing classical, psytrance, dubstep, pop, classic rock, heavy metal and electronica lead me to conclude that the SR is less noisy, has a slightly wider soundstage yet somehow more resolving and intimate at the same time (I think this is due to a feeling of more air between instruments/mix channels) and I'm actually enjoying the bass more without the more obvious thud. The rumble of sub-bass and the thud of a resonating psytrance kick is most definitely there and it lets you know so, but the thing that happens in the XR when it tries to up its bass game is you lose the detail in that note. I'm sooo enjoying hearing the intricacy of how various bass notes attack and especially when they decay.

I want to repeat this particular point because it's quite new to me - I am able to hear layers of bass decay and yet still enjoy the presence of that note. What have Ety done here? Seriously this is pure magic.

One very important point for those who listen to rock/metal or similar: I did not realise this until tonight but oh my goodness have I been missing out. Playing Gojra's new album, Fortitude, through the XR usually resulted in quite a bass heavy experience and (even though Gojira's mastering is top notch) I could at times even pass the track off as something being played as a 128 kbps mp3 file - until now. The culprit? Yup, the raised bass floor of the XR. Why? Well, you know that bass guitarist nobody ever pays attention to in the band? He/She comes through like an all consuming tidal wave on the XR! If you listen to the track Born For One Thing then within the first 10 seconds you'll know exactly what I mean. Listen through the SR and you shall be rewarded with supreme separation, now being able to pick out the bass and still headbang to its grit, but this is grit with detail :wink:

Just would like to conclude with the following that the ER4XR are definitely some of the best IEMs I have ever heard, and it is a long list of premiums I can promise you that. However, the SR, for my taste and musical needs, takes the experience just that bit higher and lets me hear all that beautiful texture I know the artist worked so hard on including. If you have the 4XR, try the SR if you can. And actually if you have the 4SR, try the XR because it might have what you're looking for if you need a little more bass 'feel'.

One more thing: I use these Etys to play along to tracks on my phone through my Roland TD25KV e-drums, the distortion is noticeably lower when using aux input from phone and playing the kit at the same time. With the XR it was kind of unusable in some cases - too muddy and noisy when things got busy. The 4SR definitely fixed this. Not a massive difference but no more muddiness in the mess, so I'm definitely a happy bunny now :)

For those interested, ER4XR THD lab measurements are approx 0.86% for both and ER4SR THD at approx 0.49%

And if anybody is wondering whether my 4XR is perhaps damaged or something then I can assure you it's not. I have two sets for the comparison (the other is my friend's) and the results are identical. She loves hers by the way but partilly agreed with me about the 4SR but isn't replacing her set.

Thanks guys and please rip my post apart any which way, would love to hear from people and suggestions on any tracks you'd like me to compare :)
Can you try the song from Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize? The tom drum beat at the beginning of the song really fascinated me.

I haven't tried the ER4XR, but I have compared the ER3SE/XR + 75 ohm impedance adapter to the ER4SR. In that song, I feel that the ER4SR is able to show incredible micro detail on the tom drum beats compared to the ER3 + 75 ohms. I wonder if you feel the same way about ER4XR vs ER4SR in that song?

What brand of 75 ohm impedance adapter are you using?

Oct 4, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #17,083 of 19,254
Yeah, I’m not going to do that. What i am going to do is congratulate you for the life-like account you have given us above. It’ll have everyone wanting to A/B every piece in your account to double-check and confirm it. Oh, I hear it now, just like he said. 👍👏🏻

Oct 4, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #17,084 of 19,254
Can you try the song from Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize? The tom drum beat at the beginning of the song really fascinated me.

I haven't tried the ER4XR, but I have compared the ER3SE/XR + 75 ohm impedance adapter to the ER4SR. In that song, I feel that the ER4SR is able to show incredible micro detail on the tom drum beats compared to the ER3 + 75 ohms. I wonder if you feel the same way about ER4XR vs ER4SR in that song?
Thanks for the brilliant suggestion! Really enjoying this track as I write.

As a drummer I can certainly tell you one thing I really appreciate about the SR and it’s that it doesn’t automatically increase the volume and resonance of the floor tom. So again thank you because it once again highlighted how anything with bass guitar or drums can be too biased towards the low end in a slightly unrealistic way. Saying that though the 4XR resolve the higher toms and the later snare rolls and ghost notes just as superbly.

one very important point though, the triangle in the first minute or so during tom roll and vocals comes through noticeably clearer and is lovely on the SR. The XR seems to occlude it a little and I think this is a real shame since a triangle already gets little attention in any piece and so not celebrating its elegance in a well crafted piece such as this one is a real shame.

Oct 4, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #17,085 of 19,254
Yeah, I’m not going to do that. What i am going to do is congratulate you for the life-like account you have given us above. It’ll have everyone wanting to A/B every piece in your account to double-check and confirm it. Oh, I hear it now, just like he said. 👍👏🏻
Aw thanks so much! Love this community! Wish when I had the Shure SE846 and had trouble with treble sounding really quite horrible at times that I got as much warmth from the group. Good guys there but a few people kept blaming me for it even after I got a replacement set ☹️
Glad I returned them and finally tried Etys after years of putting it off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back