If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 22, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #16,981 of 19,251
I couldn't find a general Ety discussion for this and asking here.

So, I'm looking for earphones for sleeping, and Ety seems to be the right candidate. I'm a side-sleeper and the classic Etys may work due to the deep insertion, but not sure about the portion that sticks out slightly. Has anybody side slept with Ety ER2/3/4? Does it cause issues? I'm mainly interested in it due to the good isolation I get with dual flanges in deep insertion with the classics.

Also, I'm wondering if Ety makes any earphone that is much low profile that doesn't have much of a protrusion out of the ear canal? A good candidate was the Etymotic ER6i isolator, and it's discontinued. I wish I can get a hand on one. It seems to be low profile.

Let me know if anybody has general recommendations.
I sleep side ways. And had fall to sleep with ER4sR and ER2xr. I have concern on breaking the ER4sR cable, so I mainly use ER2XR. To answer your question, I would not suggest to use Etymotic, you may roll from side to side during sleep and could have the metal tube positioned improperly and it will hurt your ear. It happen to me few times. And also the flange could be loosen up and detached from the small tube and stuck in your ear. It would be a good midnight exercise to get it out.

Aug 24, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #16,983 of 19,251
About the ER2SE, there is something that bothers me with them. I find that the sound of high-hats can be rather hot at times. I am using them balanced with E1DA 9038s (Sabre chip) with the triple flanges. I try to fit them the deepest possible (average to more than average kind of deep) and it still troublesome. So perhaps the source is wrong? Any help appreciated.

Aug 24, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #16,984 of 19,251
About the ER2SE, there is something that bothers me with them. I find that the sound of high-hats can be rather hot at times. I am using them balanced with E1DA 9038s (Sabre chip) with the triple flanges. I try to fit them the deepest possible (average to more than average kind of deep) and it still troublesome. So perhaps the source is wrong? Any help appreciated.
Try different tips, including the dual flange tips. Some people have better success with 3rd party tips as well (Shure or Westone). Granted I haven't heard the ER2, stronger/better seal tends to give a warmer overall sound to the ER3SE, ER4SR, HF2, EtyKids, and Evo.

Aug 26, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #16,985 of 19,251
Bought an ER4XR for 135EUR, finally graduating from <50EUR Chi-fi and cheap consumer Western products. My usual daily drivers were Moondrop SSR and KZ ZS4. Must say Etys beat them in separation, coherence, minute details and, most noticeably, bass. Quality pure BA bass sounds clearly superior to average mushy DD, even to that of SSR. Isolation is excellent, too. I do equalise them, though (extra 30-125Hz and a bit extra highs and 2-4kHz for el. guitar bite), but I've already come to terms with the fact that I'll have to EQ at this price range. Ergonomics feel great, too, with cable over ear I can relatively stably rest the tips at the entrance of ear canal if I listen to non-music and want to hear my surroundings as well. And I've always worn all IEMs with large triple flanges, so no issues with that. Great stuff overall.

Edit: Cable is slightly longer than average which I find to be better than average, it's thin and generally well made but we'll see about the durability. I measured the resistance to be 1.3-1.4 ohms.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #16,986 of 19,251
Quality pure BA bass sounds clearly superior to average mushy DD, even to that of SSR. Isolation is excellent, too. I do equalise them, though (extra 30-125Hz and a bit extra highs and 2-4kHz for el. guitar bite), but I've already come to terms with the fact that I'll have to EQ at this price range.
I've done the same with my ER4S I boost under 110Hz by 4db with a low shelf. BA drivers are pretty much the same as planars performance/quality wise It makes DD bass sound dirty that can distort too which sounds like bloated bass. I've noticed on many DD headphones bass notes can linger than normal which can sound weird if you notice It.

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #16,987 of 19,251
I've done the same with my ER4S I boost under 110Hz by 4db with a low shelf. BA drivers are pretty much the same as planars performance/quality wise It makes DD bass sound dirty that can distort too which sounds like bloated bass. I've noticed on many DD headphones bass notes can linger than normal which can sound weird if you notice It.
I generally tend to feel the opposite that BA bass can decay too quickly but that is probably due to me just being so used to the sound of DD. I do love how clean BA bass can sound though. The can really capture the attach of a good sawtooth / square wave synth.

I wonder if some tracks sound strange with BA bass because they were recorded, mixed and mastered using DD playback as a reference. Then when BA's come along you are only listening to the recorded waveform and not the way the waveform makes a DD behave.

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #16,989 of 19,251
I generally tend to feel the opposite that BA bass can decay too quickly but that is probably due to me just being so used to the sound of DD. I do love how clean BA bass can sound though. The can really capture the attach of a good sawtooth / square wave synth.

I wonder if some tracks sound strange with BA bass because they were recorded, mixed and mastered using DD playback as a reference. Then when BA's come along you are only listening to the recorded waveform and not the way the waveform makes a DD behave.

I think that true 95% of studios use Dynamic tech many of which all show the drivers limitions. It can sound uncanny at times when you listen to stuff on Planar/BA headphones where they reveal stuff that common DD headphones/Speaker mask. But music that stresses to breaking DD limits like EDM, Grindcore & more seem to shine on BA/Planar headphones since the drivers can cope with fast speeds and complex passages. Some on another sub forum 3 users got mad when I said that why Planar/BA headphones are popular.

Aug 28, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #16,990 of 19,251
i tested this Acoustune AET16 tips for my ER4XR because i saw that the output nozzle diameter is small, similar to the original triple flange, and i'm happy to report that it doesn't muck up the treble response and sounds similar to the triple flange.
my usual dual flange eartips that i got from cheap Yotaphone IEMs also sounds similar to the original triple flange, but i have to make smaller bore adapter to make them fit the Ety's small nozzle, and also the AET16 is much more stable in keeping seal when moving (the Yota's tips sometimes break seal).
other tips that I've tried (like the shure's and westone's) fit fine, but all of them changed the sound too much for my liking.

overall I'm quite happy with this finding. i will buy some more for my ER4PT (and maybe try a smaller size to see how it goes)

20210828_223607-01.jpeg20210828_223644-01.jpeg

Aug 29, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #16,991 of 19,251
Just want to say that I'm happy with the QA on ER3SE drivers. I measured them for channel imbalance and the channels look pretty much identical. This is great considering ER3s supposedly being inferior in QA compared to the ER4s
(note: I measured both with the same tip since worn tips cause the biggest channel imbalance. but this shows how consistent the drivers can be)

Attachments

• ER3SE channel balance.JPG
    ER3SE channel balance.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #16,993 of 19,251
I actually had the er4xr and sold them and bought the er3xr - the ex4xr was (imo) too analytical whereas (to my ears) the er3xr is voiced a little warmer and is a superb iem, i have the er2xr and on balance, prefer the er3xr for most music.
yeah and they're pretty much using the same driver, just different impedances. you can pretty much get the er3xr and add 22ohms to get er4xr. so you can have the best of both worlds by switching impedance adapters

er3xr is basically just er4xr but evenly slanted downwards EQ, so it should leave the signature intact while sounding warmer. this is different from SE/SR where only the treble gets slanted as you add impedance. XR is more V-shaped overall than SE/SR.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #16,995 of 19,251
is it possible to make ER4SR sounds like ER3XR using EQ? I'm using Qudelix 5K's but can't find a suitable value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back