If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 19, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #16,936 of 19,253
I would really appreciate it if you could hook me up with a new set of tips and filters, I've been looking for months and they really aren't as easy to get ahold of as they used to

Are you in the US or overseas? I'm trying to figure out where the areas that need addressing are.

Our engineering dept is not in the same building as the inventory, so I'll need to figure out how to get things setup so that folks can actually order them.

Jul 21, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #16,937 of 19,253
Are you in the US or overseas? I'm trying to figure out where the areas that need addressing are.
I currently live in Serbia ... Eastern European country outside the EU, if that matters

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #16,938 of 19,253
I currently live in Serbia ... Eastern European country outside the EU, if that matters

Yes, that helps. I'm checking into it now.

Jul 25, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #16,939 of 19,253
I've decided to get the large grey tips (ER38-18), since this is the only option available for me on Amazon. But I'd like to know is there any difference between the grey ones and the clear ones (ER38-18CL ), except for the colour?

Jul 31, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #16,943 of 19,253
Thanks buddy.
Not that hard actually. Me being aged 46 are not exactly the most delicate at handling tiny things, LOL. Just make sure you get good lighting and use the supplied tool gently. In my case I didn't even damage the filters membrane.

Yes I admit I am compelled to try the Orange filters, just that I was so hooked up with the Red Ones that I am actually quite hesitant to change that. Perhaps in a day or two I will muster enough curiosity to do it and will share you my findings.
Hi Andy, did you manage to try the orange filters? I'm between ordering those or the reds.

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #16,946 of 19,253
Been a long time since I've posted in this thread.

I was a huge fan of ER4S until I had an accidental ear injury, I sold them after that. Its been about 5-6 years since. Over on Stereo.net someone listed the ER4SR for $200 AUD, (retail here is $599), the catch was due to covid no tips or accessories were included, I picked them up and ordered in some foam tips.

Driving them from the RME-ADI 2 IEM output, such an accurate pleasing sound, especially with acoustic music.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #16,947 of 19,253
@EtyDave or whoever, does anyone know what loudspeaker Etymotic uses to make their target?
I got this photo from old Etymotic website

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1628399879097.jpg
    FB_IMG_1628399879097.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 8, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #16,948 of 19,253
It's kinda weird, at the Etymotic Research Store on Amazon, both of their ER38-18 (Large grey-tips) and ER38-15SM (Small clear-tips) can be shipped to my location (Hong Kong). However, the ER38-18CL (Large clear-tips) is shown beyond seller's shipping coverage.
I'm having a hard time try to find genuine Etymotic large clear-tips, even my local dealer don't have them in stock. My older ones are constantly losing their seal since they're already over a year old. Buying from their official website seems beyond reasonable, the shipping cost is $43.95 for 10 pieces of eartips costing $14.70.
Maybe you can find the-earbud-store on ebay. They have triple flange, dual flange, and foams too. They're also very very cheap including shipping. Yes, they're not original, but they're quite similar in quality. Don't know about the change in frequency response though. Should be very minimal if not any. Or maybe shure olives if you're really stuck (the one I had tried before ordering from the-earbud-store). Yeah, the ones on Amazon have a rather silly shipping price, like, almost three times the tips themselves? Come on!

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #16,949 of 19,253
@EtyDave or whoever, does anyone know what loudspeaker Etymotic uses to make their target?
I got this photo from old Etymotic website

The target was based on the canal resonance of an average of real ears, not using a speaker in an anechoic chamber. The setup in the attached picture was more likely being used for microphone or hearing aid testing. Typically, with a sealing earphone you wouldn't use a speaker as a source. When I've used Kemar for attenuation measurements, leak testing or something like that, I don't even do it in the anechoic chamber; I do it in a reflective environment (aka hard room or reverb room).

Aug 9, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #16,950 of 19,253
Been a long time since I've posted in this thread.

I was a huge fan of ER4S until I had an accidental ear injury, I sold them after that. Its been about 5-6 years since. Over on Stereo.net someone listed the ER4SR for $200 AUD, (retail here is $599), the catch was due to covid no tips or accessories were included, I picked them up and ordered in some foam tips.

Driving them from the RME-ADI 2 IEM output, such an accurate pleasing sound, especially with acoustic music.
Yeah, "accurate" is the word. Compared to the m9 i have the er4sr is much more accurate in reproducing strings (also piano). Having been to a number of orchestral concerts i find most iems are too bassy in their violins, cello etc.

The fit however, is another story ahah

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back