If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 10, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #16,771 of 19,246
They don't bother trying a deep seal cause of "Reasons", like using foam tips. The ER4S/SR still sounds very deep with Doom metal with heavy bass, Yeah there a quite a few bassy full range BA IEM's without any issues. The ER4B also proves these type of IEM's can have rich treble, It just amazing how flexible the ER4SR really is to EQ if you want only one headphone.

The X20i the only IEM i seen that fixes the only Single BA issue, reaching 20KHz. But the ER4S/SR comes close with high shelf of 3.5db at 10Khz.

I have and still listen to X20i regularly. They never seemed to get much love here. I do think they are a two-way BA design rather than single which may help. :sunglasses:

May 10, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #16,772 of 19,246
Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #16,773 of 19,246
May 12, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #16,774 of 19,246
Got these baby’s and playing a little bit with them.
At first I tried the triple flange tips but where both hurting on the right ear, so I tried the double flange and landed on the medium size. Now comfort feels good and fit is also ok.

sound:

have to say with classical music, these are just Amazing 🤩, timber (natural instruments sound) are near perfect and is what I was after. So needless to say I am very happy so far.

yet to have a good listen on other genre of music but shuffled a bit through a few favorites of mine ( supertramp - marillion - Steven wilson - Pink Floyd and Chris stapelton ) and looking good too.

Attachments

• C639CF44-CCF8-4451-9091-244B2F3091DB.jpeg
    C639CF44-CCF8-4451-9091-244B2F3091DB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
May 12, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #16,775 of 19,246
Got these baby’s and playing a little bit with them.
At first I tried the triple flange tips but where both hurting on the right ear, so I tried the double flange and landed on the medium size. Now comfort feels good and fit is also ok.

sound:

have to say with classical music, these are just Amazing 🤩, timber (natural instruments sound) are near perfect and is what I was after. So needless to say I am very happy so far.

yet to have a good listen on other genre of music but shuffled a bit through a few favorites of mine ( supertramp - marillion - Steven wilson - Pink Floyd and Chris stapelton ) and looking good too.
Yeah! I feel the same still after years with ER-4S and now ER4XR. Just sitting here listening to some MQA/Master recordings from Tidal on my ER4XR from the Earmen TR-amp and I feel like, how can any IEM ever be better than this? I cannot find any fault or anything missing, anything being too much or too little of in the sound. So pleasing and satisfying. I never regret to have joined the Ety-way long time ago. Welcome to the club! :beerchug:

May 12, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #16,776 of 19,246
Been doing another attempt at EQ'ing my ER4S into a ER4B by doing a 3KHz high shelf at 5db by doing a cut at 2.5KHz by -2db to stop some accidental boost there. Never understood why this version was ignored by many, It sounds like a more lively ER4S and shows it detail power more clearly. Really wish I had a actual ER4B to see If my EQ is 92% close or matches.

They weren't joking It can be savage to badly recorded music, sounds almost like a near TOTL Stax headphone. Doing the same thing on the ER2SE It just sounds wrong instead of being a DD ER4B it just sounds like the ER2's driver is hitting a wall and makes the treble sound bit wrong.

Nowhere near as harsh as other Treblehead headphones I tried before like the Beyer DT 770 pro which sound like ice picks from the 8db peaks at 7KHz area. If anything It sounds like a more airy ER4S if you cut the upper mids(2 ~ 3K area) by a little bit.

May 12, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #16,777 of 19,246
Yeah! I feel the same still after years with ER-4S and now ER4XR. Just sitting here listening to some MQA/Master recordings from Tidal on my ER4XR from the Earmen TR-amp and I feel like, how can any IEM ever be better than this? I cannot find any fault or anything missing, anything being too much or too little of in the sound. So pleasing and satisfying. I never regret to have joined the Ety-way long time ago. Welcome to the club! :beerchug:
Do you get enough usable range on the volume knob with the ER4XR on the TR-amp?
I am asking, because in my experience with other DAC/Amp combos (like the Dragonfly Black) - with sensitive IEMs such as the ER3 and ER4 series IEMs, it goes from too quite to TOO LOUD very very quickly. Practically no usable volume range, but rather usable volume point...

May 12, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #16,778 of 19,246
I am asking, because in my experience with other DAC/Amp combos (like the Dragonfly Black) - with sensitive IEMs such as the ER3 and ER4 series IEMs, it goes from too quite to TOO LOUD very very quickly. Practically no usable volume range, but rather usable volume point...
Are you running those DACs from Android phone? if yes then the adjustment increment for Android sucks big time. I face the same issue with my two JCally dongles. The problem don't exist on PC as PV offers finer increment

May 13, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #16,779 of 19,246
Are you running those DACs from Android phone? if yes then the adjustment increment for Android sucks big time. I face the same issue with my two JCally dongles. The problem don't exist on PC as PV offers finer increment
Actually, on a Windows 10 PC. With the Dragonfly Black - my Windows volume is at 8%... 9% is a little too loud, and 10% is TOO LOUD!!!!
On the other side, 5% is way too quite. So I have 6-8% to work with... :rolling_eyes:
So, back to my question - I am wondering how much useful range you have on the TR-Amp knob (connected to Windows PC) with the ER3 or ER4?

May 13, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #16,780 of 19,246
When going from 0 (right after the turning-on-click at 8 o'clock) to when the volume kicks in, it is low enough to be background music while working and not be too disturbing nor have any channel imbalance. I can not go any longer than around 9:30 but there is plenty of wiggle room on the potmeter to find a nice listening level for both background music and intensive listening sessions. I am using it via USB (its only option) from either my MacBook or iPhone.

May 13, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #16,781 of 19,246
I am listening to Kid A and I have to say that this album never sounded so good with anything I played it through.
These etymotic just rock.
I have heard fh9 & fh5 - comets - andromeda and a few more iems and fullsize but this to my ears sounds the best.
I wonder how much better the er4xr is then the er3xr.

May 13, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #16,782 of 19,246
I'm realizing that triple flanges don't work for me. It cause odd response without much body from the mids to to lacking bass. Only set of tips that work for me is the provided foam. I can easily tell foam isolate much better than triple flanges. The response seems more proper with foam for me.

I notice the significant bass difference between triple flanges and foam, as foam isolates much better for me. I realized that the isolation is truely on the level of best ANC headphone now. It must have have been the triple flanges not isolating enough for me. For a time I believed ANC was better in reducing noise. These isolate truly well if the tip fit well.

For those that has issue with triple flanges, what other tips worked for you? I generally don't like foam due to subdue'ing the treble (I think it dulls the air) compared to silicone, but I cannot use triple flanges due to improper response compared to foam.

Fit on these is just hell with the triple flanges, and I hate the insertion as it feel very very uncomfortable.

I think the issue is that triple flanges will not work properly due to the say my outer canal maybe too wide for even large size triple flanges. I wonder if there are larger size triple flanges? I tried inserting deep due to this issue, and it's painful to insert deep. Or it could generally be the way triple flanges are shaped, not accommodating.

I wonder how many of you are really not hearing the way ER4 should be heard? lol And probably not aware of such situation. Perfect example of how important fit really is.

One way I realized it was that I had to keep the ER4 with triple flanges on it pushed to get enough seal for probably bass response. That told me the triple flanges isn't a proper fit. If it's the same for you, you are not hearing the ER4 properly.

By the way, I got the ER4XR.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #16,784 of 19,246
I'm realizing that triple flanges don't work for me. It cause odd response without much body from the mids to to lacking bass. Only set of tips that work for me is the provided foam. I can easily tell foam isolate much better than triple flanges. The response seems more proper with foam for me.

I notice the significant bass difference between triple flanges and foam, as foam isolates much better for me. I realized that the isolation is truely on the level of best ANC headphone now. It must have have been the triple flanges not isolating enough for me. For a time I believed ANC was better in reducing noise. These isolate truly well if the tip fit well.

For those that has issue with triple flanges, what other tips worked for you? I generally don't like foam due to subdue'ing the treble (I think it dulls the air) compared to silicone, but I cannot use triple flanges due to improper response compared to foam.

Fit on these is just hell with the triple flanges, and I hate the insertion as it feel very very uncomfortable.

I think the issue is that triple flanges will not work properly due to the say my outer canal maybe too wide for even large size triple flanges. I wonder if there are larger size triple flanges? I tried inserting deep due to this issue, and it's painful to insert deep. Or it could generally be the way triple flanges are shaped, not accommodating.

I wonder how many of you are really not hearing the way ER4 should be heard? lol And probably not aware of such situation. Perfect example of how important fit really is.

One way I realized it was that I had to keep the ER4 with triple flanges on it pushed to get enough seal for probably bass response. That told me the triple flanges isn't a proper fit. If it's the same for you, you are not hearing the ER4 properly.

By the way, I got the ER4XR.
The dual flanges work best for me. But I can't deny that the foam will isolate the best simply due to how much material the sound will need to traverse compared to any silicone tip that exists. I think Etymotic quoted something like 42 dB of isolation using the foam tips and 32 for the triple-flange silicone. I'm kind of in the same boat you are as I'm not a huge fan of the way foam tips sometimes give the sound an overall warm tilt.

You really have to kind of twist the triple flanges into your ear to get them to fit, kind of like a screwing motion. Once properly seated, you really won't feel them until you touch the IEM or it moves in anyway, then you can feel the tip push up against your ear canal and it's uncomfortable/painful.

You can also look at 3rd party tips like a Spinfit. I haven't tried them though so I can't say much. A lot of people have gotten Shure tips to do very well on Etymotics as well.

What tips are these?
Etymotic dual-flange tips.

Edit: Here's the link for the XL sized dual-flange. I don't see a link to their fit kit that they offer (includes one of each size) which may be useful for dialing your fit with them. But you can purchase one of those (as soon as they have stock) if you email them.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #16,785 of 19,246
The dual flanges work best for me. But I can't deny that the foam will isolate the best simply due to how much material the sound will need to traverse compared to any silicone tip that exists. I think Etymotic quoted something like 42 dB of isolation using the foam tips and 32 for the triple-flange silicone. I'm kind of in the same boat you are as I'm not a huge fan of the way foam tips sometimes give the sound an overall warm tilt.

You really have to kind of twist the triple flanges into your ear to get them to fit, kind of like a screwing motion. Once properly seated, you really won't feel them until you touch the IEM or it moves in anyway, then you can feel the tip push up against your ear canal and it's uncomfortable/painful.

You can also look at 3rd party tips like a Spinfit. I haven't tried them though so I can't say much. A lot of people have gotten Shure tips to do very well on Etymotics as well.

Etymotic dual-flange tips.
The foam that comes with the ER4 is ridiculously isolating. I don't think I've experience such level of isolation before (probably not even customs). I wouldn't mind getting something like that just for general isolation for environments I want to isolate noise for sleeping.

I'll need to try more tips. Digging this thread of images for tips. I've heard Shure foam is pretty good. I like Shure foam since the surface is covered with some material that's not like foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back