If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 25, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #16,428 of 19,246
They are authorized. I got the open box deal for $119 because my experience with open box is very good (Amazonwarehousedeals etc.). With tax and shipping, it came to $136. Also, according to a HF friend, the open box deal is pretty much a new pair based on what he got for $119. Plus, I don't see the XR for 129, only the SR. I wanted the XR. So open box was my only choice. Not a problem.

And it comes with Ety's 2-year warranty.

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #16,429 of 19,246
They are authorized. I got the open box deal for $119 because my experience with open box is very good (Amazonwarehousedeals etc.). With tax and shipping, it came to $136. Also, according to a HF friend, the open box deal is pretty much a new pair based on what he got for $119. Plus, I don't see the XR for 129, only the SR. I wanted the XR. So open box was my only choice. Not a problem.

And it comes with Ety's 2-year warranty.
Both SR and XR are $129, I have saved them on my cart so I know. I don't know how people get those link though, because when I looked at them they are always 290+!! That's why I saved those in the cart so that I can buy them next month. 🙂

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #16,430 of 19,246
Both SR and XR are $129, I have saved them on my cart so I know. I don't know how people get those link though, because when I looked at them they are always 290+!! That's why I saved those in the cart so that I can buy them next month. 🙂
Go to Slickdeals website and search for etymotic. If the deals are still active, they'll be there.

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #16,431 of 19,246
Its from a email specific offer which went out around the holidays. I'm surprised its still alive tbh. Everytime I see it, I'm tempted to get a set of SR to compliment my XR (so much easier then EQ!)...

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #16,433 of 19,246
Its from a email specific offer which went out around the holidays. I'm surprised its still alive tbh. Everytime I see it, I'm tempted to get a set of SR to compliment my XR (so much easier then EQ!)...
I need to rush I guess, I don't want to miss them. I am just waiting for the month end, so that the cost rolls over to the next month! 😰
Have you heard both SR and XR? Can you give me a comparison?

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #16,434 of 19,246
I need to rush I guess, I don't want to miss them. I am just waiting for the month end, so that the cost rolls over to the next month! 😰
It would seem the promo has been and probably will be alive for some months to come (probably some mistake in the webpage by non-tech-people).

Also - I opted for the more expensive (LOOOL) ER4 XR in Europe because I was terrified that the SR would be to bass-light with foam tips etc... I use triple/double flanges now, lol. Adding +6dB bass via EQ is fine on the SR it would seem here in the forum. I would have done it the other way around if I would have the chance: get the accuracy and add bass if you would like it. But surprising me, I don't.

Obviously the ER4 XR sound amazing (I had (BA) Shures, and XR sounds close to that in bass magnitude; I don't know what it says on quality and my perception though, especially in the light of ER4's, haha), but when I simulate an SR I think the drums and bass sound just more accurate. Moreover, depending on what the EVO will do, I will replace my XR with an SR.

In the end, looking at your collection, you will like both, as most of us here!

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #16,435 of 19,246
Also - I opted for the more expensive (LOOOL) ER4 XR in Europe because I was terrified that the SR would be to bass-light with foam tips etc... I use triple/double flanges now, lol. Adding +6dB bass via EQ is fine on the SR it would seem here in the forum. I would have done it the other way around if I would have the chance: get the accuracy and add bass if you would like it. But surprising me, I don't.

Obviously the ER4 XR sound amazing (I had (BA) Shures, and XR sounds close to that in bass magnitude; I don't know what it says on quality and my perception though, especially in the light of ER4's, haha), but when I simulate an SR I think the drums and bass sound just more accurate. Moreover, depending on what the EVO will do, I will replace my XR with an SR.

That why I moved to the ER4SR & ER4S, You get best of both worlds. The +6db useful on EDM/Metal and other stuff you can turn it off if it sounds wrong. I find the very fast decay on the BA ety's more real since on DD headphones i notice the bass notes masking mid range detail by lingering too long.

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #16,436 of 19,246
It would seem the promo has been and probably will be alive for some months to come (probably some mistake in the webpage by non-tech-people).

In the end, looking at your collection, you will like both, as most of us here!

That why I moved to the ER4SR & ER4S, You get best of both worlds. The +6db useful on EDM/Metal and other stuff you can turn it off if it sounds wrong. I find the very fast decay on the BA ety's more real since on DD headphones i notice the bass notes masking mid range detail by lingering too long.
Great, thanks. Now I am left with two: ER4SR(most likely) and ER2SE(less likely). I am edging toward ER4SR, but I heard people saying that BA timbre is too unnatural. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #16,438 of 19,246
Honestly, I couldn't really tell a difference aside from the XR sounding slightly less cold to me. I've heard reviews where some people say the XR sounds a bit muddier due to the extra bass bleeding into the mids, though I completely disagree. I really don't think you can go wrong with either if you like Etymotic tuning. I mainly find myself wondering about the SR since I don't own them. Realistically, I don't think owning the SR over the XR would make me any happier as the mids/treble response is pretty much identical.

EDIT: Actually, I would probably be more annoyed with the SR cause my strings would sound less "full". But chasing what I think sounds "just right" with orchestral music was the only reason I upgraded from my ER4XR.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #16,439 of 19,246
Great, thanks. Now I am left with two: ER4SR(most likely) and ER2SE(less likely). I am edging toward ER4SR, but I heard people saying that BA timbre is too unnatural. Any thoughts?
I don't really get why people say BA timbre is too unnatural. The decay can definitely be faster then DD, but even that can be helped with some DAC filters. I guess there's also that DD bass thump thats hard to find with BAs, but I'd say sound signature would matter more first. I personally like BA speed a lot more especially for orchestral pieces and EDM plus the original ER4s were BA too. Then again, DD's have gotten a lot better in terms of response and haven't heard the ER2SE... better buy both to be sure!

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #16,440 of 19,246
I don't really get why people say BA timbre is too unnatural. The decay can definitely be faster then DD, but even that can be helped with some DAC filters. I guess there's also that DD bass thump thats hard to find with BAs, but I'd say sound signature would matter more first. I personally like BA speed a lot more especially for orchestral pieces and EDM plus the original ER4s were BA too. Then again, DD's have gotten a lot better in terms of response and haven't heard the ER2SE... better buy both to be sure!

i think the more appropriate term is "unnatural to their expectations and what they're use to hear from their DDs". also nowadays it's harder to say BA would always have short attacks and DD would have more bloom/sustain, because that line has become more and more blurred

different driver configuration sound have their own uses, so i just view them as sets of filters or lenses, each have their own uses depending situasions and mood.

iin that regard do agree with you that sound signature is more important. i don't think we should worry/picky too much about timbre, unless we only going to have one earphones for everything. it's doable, but i don't think it's more enjoyable compared to having a wider selection of sound signatures.

besides.. i don't think anyone in headfi would only have one:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back