If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 8, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #16,291 of 19,249
can you elaborate? I've always thought the er4s was more silky smooth, yet they graph identically to the er4sr. is it the impedance and other technicalities?

Yes, ER4S sounds ever smoother to my ears as well, with better sense of air and space no less. ER4SR on the other hand sounds a little more rigid and stiff, almost as if it is just slightly over-dampened. These are of course very subtle difference but it is to me the difference between being supreme vs. very good. I recalled I have the same (though much much worst) feeling regarding MC5, which technically has a very flat FR curve as well but it is nonetheless an overly dampened lifeless sound. I think the best description I can give on ER4S vs. ER4SR to me is alike a master pianist's rendition vs. that of a high precision self-playing piano.

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #16,292 of 19,249
I never listened to ER2XR (or any of the ER3) before so I can't comment much on it, though I think you will not find ER2SE's bass to be intrusive at all when compared to MK5.

Between ER2SE and MK5, MK5 is more fluid in presentation, slightly brighter / harsher on treble and wider in soundstage while ER2SE is technically flatter in FR, a bit warmer in the mid and smoother in the treble. To me, ER2SE is closer to a classic Ety sound but MK5 is a little more fun to listen. Personally I like MK5 just a little more but it really is more of a personal taste rather than technical difference.

So ER2SE is bassier than MK5? Did I get it right? A small lift in bass department with similar mid and treble presence would be perfect if ER2SE would do these. Thank you for your comparisons btw.

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #16,293 of 19,249
Yes, ER4S sounds ever smoother to my ears as well, with better sense of air and space no less. ER4SR on the other hand sounds a little more rigid and stiff, almost as if it is just slightly over-dampened. These are of course very subtle difference but it is to me the difference between being supreme vs. very good. I recalled I have the same (though much much worst) feeling regarding MC5, which technically has a very flat FR curve as well but it is nonetheless an overly dampened lifeless sound. I think the best description I can give on ER4S vs. ER4SR to me is alike a master pianist's rendition vs. that of a high precision self-playing piano.

that makes me feel better. i always assumed maybe it was my imagination, but now and then I'd go back and listen to the s and feel like it was better a tiny bit. smoother with more depth. even though it's nowhere near grainy, the only way i could describe it is that the er4sr/xr seem subconsciously more grainy than the s. with the xr more so than the sr even.

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #16,294 of 19,249
An acquaintance of mine was a long time user of ER4S and between ER4SR & ER4XR he preferred the latter, claiming SR sounded kind of lifeless to him.
I suppose, the difference lies within use of different drivers even if it's tuned to the same target response.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #16,297 of 19,249
Currently using KZ ZSR (looks like it's discontinued) and Galaxy Buds+ for in ear.

Ordered ER2SE instead of ER2XR, since this won't be my only IEM, I would use ER2SE as neutral, closer to reference sound. Hopefully I can get the fit going.

Still undecided on what to get for more 'fun' sounding IEM (relatively fun, compared to ER2SE, not looking for crazy V shape). Few items that I read up on so far.
- Moondrop Starfield - Paint chipping, might need to change filter often
- ThieAudio Legacy 3 - Might be too bassy
- Fiio FH3 - Reviews are very polarizing
- Tin Hifi T4 - Reviews seems to rate Starfield and Legacy 3 higher
- Blon BL-03 with upgraded cable + ear tips - Might end up upgrading not soon after

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #16,298 of 19,249
So ER2SE is bassier than MK5? Did I get it right? A small lift in bass department with similar mid and treble presence would be perfect if ER2SE would do these. Thank you for your comparisons btw.

Quantitatively speaking, the difference is marginal. Qualitatively speaking, ER2SE has better bass body / hit / warmth.

Does anybody know which is easier to drive properly between the ER4S and the ER4SR?

SR for sure, but S isn't very difficult to drive either. Any decent source these days should have no problem driving S to satisfying level.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #16,299 of 19,249
Quantitatively speaking, the difference is marginal. Qualitatively speaking, ER2SE has better bass body / hit / warmth.

SR for sure, but S isn't very difficult to drive either. Any decent source these days should have no problem driving S to satisfying level.
Do you think ER4SR can be driven by a Sony smartphone? I don’t feel like bringing a dap and an amp when I’m commuting?

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #16,301 of 19,249
Deal alert guys. Amazon Canada is selling the ER4SR for $233.95 CAD and the ER4XR for $334.32CAD. I think that’s a pretty good deal.
It's $172 for 4SR and $187 for 4XR in Amazon us. I guess it's a steal. 2SE is only $76. I want to buy one, but can't make up my mind though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back