If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 5, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #16,261 of 19,256
What sort of differences are you guys expecting from the new one? I hardly know about the design and manufacture of IEMs but I imagine going from one to three drivers is a substantial change. I just wonder what implications it has on the sound.
I’m hoping for better layering, resolution, and extended frequency response. The former two are what I found really separated my M9 from my ER4XR. This became really apparent in songs with details on opposite sides of the frequency spectrum (horns and lower strings at the or higher pitched vocals and bass simultaneously). The latter is just something I’d expect from having multiple BAs. Either way, I’m excited to see what the Evo can pull off and do expect it to redefine its price bracket.

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #16,262 of 19,256
What sort of differences are you guys expecting from the new one? I hardly know about the design and manufacture of IEMs but I imagine going from one to three drivers is a substantial change. I just wonder what implications it has on the sound.
Etymotic is known for the sound isolation... will the EVO also have good isolation?

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #16,263 of 19,256
Etymotic is known for the sound isolation... will the EVO also have good isolation?
I’d be extremely surprised if it didn’t considering they’re sticking with deep insertion tips. Honestly it’d be a bit of a deal breaker if the isolation is gone as that’s one of the things I enjoy about them. Earplugs that play music well!

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #16,264 of 19,256
I’d be extremely surprised if it didn’t considering they’re sticking with deep insertion tips. Honestly it’d be a bit of a deal breaker if the isolation is gone as that’s one of the things I enjoy about them. Earplugs that play music well!
I know that the tips are a major factor in isolation,but the tips still have a hole for the sound to pass through... I was thinking that the isolation of the ER-3 and ER-4 designs had to do with the slender cylindrical shape, which minimizes the surface area for which to absorb external sound

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #16,265 of 19,256
I know that the tips are a major factor in isolation,but the tips still have a hole for the sound to pass through... I was thinking that the isolation of the ER-3 and ER-4 designs had to do with the slender cylindrical shape, which minimizes the surface area for which to absorb external sound
I’m not too knowledgeable about this so if anyone knows more please correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t think the surface area of the IEM has much effect on the isolation. For example, CIEMs have huge faceplates and still seal quite well. From my understanding, it’s more a combination of the the tip and whether the shell that said tip is connected to has any holes for pressure equalization or a bass port. If the tip seals well and the shell is contained with no holes. you pretty much should end up with a ear plug like effect. Like you mentioned the tip does have a hole in center, but if it’s attached to something that closed and doesn’t let in sound it should isolate well. Now if the shell vibrates or resonates with outside sound then we’d definitely have issues 😅

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #16,268 of 19,256
I wonder if a FR curve for Evo is available.
nope. i asked them :p etydave is pretty busy and nothing yet for a graph.

i can only imagine they would use the driver setup to finally increase the bass without the added mid bass warmth, to stay closer to target. I can only pray they stick to their target but get it even closer. And maybe it will finally change how people have always heard the er4 series as "narrow and small soundstage" maybe this will improve the technical qualities of the sound?

Feb 7, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #16,269 of 19,256

The tips have a hole, but it feeds into earpiece itself. To get good isolation, it relies on the eartip sealing around the snout of the earphone and then the flanges comforming to the inside of your ear canal. Depth of seal can affect attenuation as well. Since the earphones themselves don't conform to the ear canal (whether it is ER2/3/4 or the new EVO) the outside of the body doesn't really play a part in sealing to the ear canal. It's different from a custom earphone where the shell is custom fit to your ear canal and itself is integral to the seal of the earphone.

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #16,270 of 19,256
How many hours should I burn in my Er2xr? Right out of the box, the bass seems to be too much for my tastes and it is a bit veiling the midrange (bloated/veiled) The treble also doesn't have the extention and refinement that I'm used to with my previous Etymotic Hf5 and Mk5.

Or should I send them back and order the Er2se instead? I need your opinions guys.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #16,272 of 19,256
How many hours should I burn in for Er2xr? Right out of the box, the bass seems to be too much for my tastes and it is a bit veiling the midrange (bloated/veiled) The treble also doesn't have the extention and refinement that I'm used to with my previous Etymotic Hf5 and Mk5.

Or should I send them back and order the Er2se instead? I need your opinions guys.
Mine sounded superb straight out the box so maybe it just ain't the sound signature for you?

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #16,273 of 19,256
How many hours should I burn in for Er2xr? Right out of the box, the bass seems to be too much for my tastes and it is a bit veiling the midrange (bloated/veiled) The treble also doesn't have the extention and refinement that I'm used to with my previous Etymotic Hf5 and Mk5.

Depends on whether you believe in burn in or not. I've had BA drivers burn in on me, most notable would be the ADDIEM from way back in the the day (was able to test this out 3x since replacing silicone ear tips meant replacing the entire unit, Apple eventually got smart with this by fixing this issue with the APP). That said, I normally always burned in my headphones for about 50 hours.

All this said, if you're more used to the HF5 and MK5, you're likely better off sending them back for the ER2SE instead. Keep in mind that the main differences between them is just the filter that is used. If you want a options (besides the two) Etymotic does have the filter kit which allows you to experiment with different filters and how it attenuates or boosts the bass.

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #16,274 of 19,256

On my sets I've done the following,
ER4XR swapped out green for red
ER4SR left at green, perfect as stock.
ER2XR swapped out green for brown ( my sweet spot)
Probably sending them back and getting the SE might be advisable and if too light on the bass you can always add the filters to increase it slightly if needed.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #16,275 of 19,256
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll first try to remove the filters before sending them back. If I like the sound I may order the filter set.

Btw, I believe burn in period for dynamic drivers and some armature based ones like old Pfe 112. I burned my pair for 15 or more but I couldn't hear any difference

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back