If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 20, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #15,121 of 19,249
Of those three, for that kind of music and for my sonic tastes, I would choose 3SE. (But this is a weird tradeoff – are you really saying you can only get a preowned 3SE at the price of a new 3XR?)

For my tastes it's like this:
  • 3SE is absolutely beautiful. The sound is clean and correct, with juuust a little bit of added richness beyond the 4SR's more "strictly correct" (in my opinion) presentation.
  • I just don't like the XR series with their added bass bump that sounds unnatural to me. It's like if a vocalist accompanied by piano and bass became bass and pianist's left hand accompanied by vocalist and pianist's right hand. Just no.
  • 4P's tonality is also wrong, but in a less clearly defined way. I can deal with it for a track or two and then it becomes the grain of sand in the shoe and I spend all my attention trying to eq the wrongness out. But at least the 4P can be turned into a correct-sounding 4S with a little adapter.
Again, that's just me. My tastes and the way I hear things are pretty nonrepresentative, I've found.
I agree with you. I have the er3se and LOVe it. Perfectly balanced. I have not heard the 4sr or the 2 series, but when I listen to the er3se through the earstudio 100 on my lgv20, I find nothing to want for. I don't even want to eq them. The bass is perfect. A real sense of presence with the artist.

May 20, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #15,122 of 19,249
Of those three, for that kind of music and for my sonic tastes, I would choose 3SE. (But this is a weird tradeoff – are you really saying you can only get a preowned 3SE at the price of a new 3XR?)

• 3SE is absolutely beautiful. The sound is clean and correct, with juuust a little bit of added richness beyond the 4SR's more "strictly correct" (in my opinion) presentation.
  • I just don't like the XR series with their added bass bump that sounds unnatural to me. It's like if a vocalist accompanied by piano and bass became bass and pianist's left hand accompanied by vocalist and pianist's right hand. Just no.
  • 4P's tonality is also wrong, but in a less clearly defined way. I can deal with it for a track or two and then it becomes the grain of sand in the shoe and I spend all my attention trying to eq the wrongness out. But at least the 4P can be turned into a correct-sounding 4S with a little adapter.
Again, that's just me. My tastes and the way I hear things are pretty nonrepresentative, I've found.
i never herd er3se, but er4xr tonality is little off to me as well, i cant describe well but the entire musical picture is a bit...disjointed , like a collage of sound...only mildly tho but enough to make music sound kind of dull and lifeless :frowning2:

i want to try er3se

May 21, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #15,124 of 19,249
Etymotic after sales seems to have improved, i asked for a new shirt clip as mine had broken 2 months after i bought the er2xr (these seem impossible to source in the UK), they said they were sending a replacement but it never arrived - several months later i wrote to them again and they replied next day saying sorry they were resending them and included a scan of the ups tracking note - this seems to me to be excellent.

May 21, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #15,125 of 19,249
What are some new generation of IEMs worth trying for ER4P fans? Say less than 1K

Been curious about an "upgrade" to er4p for a while. Haven't tried these myself but IIRC some people suggested Fidue Sirius and Earsonics Purple to me . Moondrop Blessing 2 and Solis look interesting as well- though in graphs uppermid-treble extension makes it look more 4S-ish.

Perhaps there are better potential matches though.

Based on my own IEM collecting I think the Massdrop + w/ an IEMatch is probably the closest I've come (although "smoother/warmer ER4S" might be more apt description)- anyway I still prefer the ER4P.

tbh I'm not sure what I'd expect from an upgrade that wouldn't totally alter the ER4P character... more spacious? a bit more detail pickup in the highs? (something like how the Sony N3 does it). Some people complain about the 'ety BA timbre' but idk that I've ever been too bothered by it. Do you have any notions for what an upgrade would entail?

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #15,126 of 19,249

Thanks. I bought one that wasn't on the list that I posted. The 2XR. I've read some very positive reviews on this unit from some people that I trust. Some think it's the pick of the litter. I got a used one for less than half of the price of new. Not knowing if the fit is even an option for my ears I figure I can eventually move up if I like them.

May 23, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #15,127 of 19,249
What are some new generation of IEMs worth trying for ER4P fans? Say less than 1K
According to Crinacle there is Hidition NT6 labeled as Etymotic's user's multi BA dream, tunable Hidition Viento is regarded by him even higher (it has one flat sounding tuning option that should please ER4P fans), or Prophile8. I feel very pleased with HD540 reference 1 600ohm, which is not iem, but if you listen to music at home, it should please you, as it pleases me. I prefer mine with darker sounding amp. This is measurement of hd540 Reference 2, and this measurement was done with foam and different pads. But it is a slightly different headphone model, I did not find measurements for Reference 1. My HD540 seems pretty flat to me, maybe except for the treble region, the crown jewel of the sound.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #15,128 of 19,249
Does anyone know a good source to buy an MMCX adapter for ER4SR/ER4XR so that all kinds of MMCX cables can be fitted? Lunashops on aliexpress seem to sell cables that have the notched MMCX connector specific to ER4SR/ER4XR, but I am looking for an adapter so that I can use various MMCX cables I already own.
Thanks.

May 24, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #15,132 of 19,249
I've never owned or even listened to an ER set but am tempted to dip my toe in....

Normally I prefer a warmer, intimate sound profile.....so the 2XR has caught my attention.... however if I could get a slightly cheaper 2nd hand 4S in very good condition instead of a new 2XR what would the in-house advice be here?

Thanks! :)

May 24, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #15,133 of 19,249
I've never owned or even listened to an ER set but am tempted to dip my toe in....

Normally I prefer a warmer, intimate sound profile.....so the 2XR has caught my attention.... however if I could get a slightly cheaper 2nd hand 4S in very good condition instead of a new 2XR what would the in-house advice be here?

Thanks! :)

2XR definitely has more warmth than the 4S. I think that's the "safer" option to dip into the Ety sound.

May 25, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #15,135 of 19,249

Users who are viewing this thread

Back