If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 23, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #15,001 of 19,246
I just tried the new Dual Flange Tips.
I have very small ears, so the large Triples (ER38-18CL-4SX) wouldn't fit me. I have yet to try the foam tips, as I don't really like foam. Here's what I found:
  • The new tips are a lot easier to insert
  • They slightly increase bass
  • They have maybe a bit less isolation
  • For me, the new tips seriously hurt at the entrance of my ear canal, where the first flange touches my ear. I tried the two smallest sizes (medium would've been too large for me) and they both had the same issue.
That being the case, I will stick with the medium Triples (ER38-15SM), but I'm glad I tried them out!

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #15,003 of 19,246
So I've been searching for posts, but little is coming up.

Has anyone tried the Etymotic red filters on the new ER4SR (or XR)?

If yes, any thoughts? I have a pair or reds in my drawer currently.

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #15,004 of 19,246
So I've been searching for posts, but little is coming up.

Has anyone tried the Etymotic red filters on the new ER4SR (or XR)?

If yes, any thoughts? I have a pair or reds in my drawer currently.
The red filters are made for BEAN and 2nd gen Music•PRO, GSP•15, HD•15 and EB15•LE earplugs. Knowing Etymotic, there's a good reason why the ER4 only gets the turquoise filters. My new 4XR (new packaging, dual flange in the box) also came with the same old filters.

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #15,005 of 19,246
The red filters are made for BEAN and 2nd gen Music•PRO, GSP•15, HD•15 and EB15•LE earplugs. Knowing Etymotic, there's a good reason why the ER4 only gets the turquoise filters. My new 4XR (new packaging, dual flange in the box) also came with the same old filters.

The red ones were mentioned several times on this forum while being used for older gen ER4 series, incl. ER-4S (user installed).
I myself have installed the red ones on my old ER-4P more than 5 years ago, worked fine.
Just wondering what change it would bring to the new ER4 series as I haven't tried that combination yet.
Of course there are graphs out there, but I'd certainly listen to the impressions those who have tried.

Etymotic Research ER-4S - damper.png

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #15,006 of 19,246
The red ones were mentioned several times on this forum while being used for older gen ER4 series, incl. ER-4S (user installed).
I myself have installed the red ones on my old ER-4P more than 5 years ago, worked fine.
Just wondering what change it would bring to the new ER4 series as I haven't tried that combination yet.
Of course there are graphs out there, but I'd certainly listen to the impressions those who have tried.

Etymotic Research ER-4S - damper.png
Ah. Ok. Sorry, I clearly don't know enough about the whole filter rolling thing.

Mar 26, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #15,007 of 19,246
Since I have my ER3SE's EQ'd on both my PC/Phone. I've been re-reading Crin's chart for the 4S vs 4SR/XR, The newer 4SR/XR have about 2db less above 6k than the ER4S and at 12k pretty much the same at least on the 4SR as the ER4PT. So doing some calculations and assuming his charts are on point, A EQ profile to mimic the ER4S it would be like this.

Bass(low shelf) = -1 at 800Hz, Treble(6KHz high self) = 6db.

While a EQ for the 4SR on the 3SE would be. Bass = -0.5 at 800Hz & Treble = 3.8db at 6KHz.

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #15,008 of 19,246
Using a 800Hz low shelf with a -0.5db cut to get the 4SR's bass on the 3SE, Really love how deep and punchy they can get when the music asks for it. Never understood the the very fast decay being a issue going by some reviews, It sounds way more real/clean which i don't get with dynamic drivers.
Crin's graphs aren't too precise comparing the ER4XR with the ER4SR. His graphs shows a little less differences on than already exists. There are a little bit of difference on mids and treble too, but barely audible.

Screenshot_20200330-023142.png

Mar 30, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #15,009 of 19,246
Crin's graphs aren't too precise comparing the ER4XR with the ER4SR. His graphs shows a little less differences on than already exists. There are a little bit of difference on mids and treble too, but barely audible.

That chart dosen't show his heavy dip at 12k, Shows that the 4XR/SR/S have very good treble extension. Which explains why the ER3SE only needs a 6KHz high self of 3.8db after doing a another A/B. I sometimes wonder if he only keeps the current ER4/ER3 charts as way fake a reason why it Single BA set up is wrong?. Or his rig can't handle the deep fit Etymotic ask for?.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #15,010 of 19,246
Have you come across any full size open back headphone that has similar clarity to the ER4? I've been comparing my ER4XR to my LCD-2 for months now and you can imagine my shock when I found that the ER4 actually has more clarity in the treble, especially in the upper treble. I can hear details that are very faint on the LCD-2F, even with EQ on the latter.

The LCD-2 is technically superior (better dynamics, stage, layering/separation) but sucks at timbre even though it's more towards the analytical side of things. It just doesn't sound focused at all to me like the ER4 does. So I'm thinking of selling my LCD-2F and getting something else.

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #15,013 of 19,246
Love my ER4XR but does anyone have a tip suggestion for very tiny ear canals. I tend to have pain after listening for 30+ minutes when inserting with the stock tips (tried all).
One of the official double flange tips maybe. They're not yet available for purchase from what I recall.

I strongly recommend against using third party tips since that will likely ruin the balance of the sound. And Etymotic tips do get comfortable after a while. I remember feeling really bad pain with the big tips but they delivered incredible clarity compared to the small ones (and the peaky foam tips) and I actually got accustomed to them. I think your ear canals stretch or relax after a while. That's kind of a thing with all IEMs.

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #15,014 of 19,246
One of the official double flange tips maybe. They're not yet available for purchase from what I recall.

I strongly recommend against using third party tips since that will likely ruin the balance of the sound. And Etymotic tips do get comfortable after a while. I remember feeling really bad pain with the big tips but they delivered incredible clarity compared to the small ones (and the peaky foam tips) and I actually got accustomed to them. I think your ear canals stretch or relax after a while. That's kind of a thing with all IEMs.
Thanks for your answer. I only have them for 2 weeks and will try to get accustomed to them because the sound is exactly what I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back