If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 4, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #14,416 of 19,256
I can see that. I've tried cross feed in the past and never liked it at all. I don't find it makes something sound like a speaker. It just makes things sound more dull to me. But I could see certain processing improving things. Sort of the way acoustic processing can make stereo speakers really make the impression that sound is coming from behind you. Surround simulation can be surprisingly believable. But unfortunately, for me, my goal has always been to achieve the best quality universally. My phone, my laptop, my ipad. Whatever. So I've always loved the er4. But this filter will let me connect anything to it and get the same eq. So I originally just made the bass boost. And for me it is night and day. Hard to go back. Better than er4xr, better than sr. It just sounds more correct to me.

I'm still playing with the treble. It barely needs anything, but I feel there is room for improvement.

@luisdent Yes, you make a good point. Also, I think our minds adjust to the presentation of headphones. Without spatial DSP, headphones sound very 'hard-panned' to myself, with little 'centre' information. But, I also listen off my phone a lot. I use nPlayer, which is very resource efficient on iPhone (i have an old 6). It has DTS_X, but on the headphone setting and 'traditional' it is very light, and doesn't seem to interfere too much with signal integrity. It is a happy mid-point. Definitely recommend nPlayer if you are on iOS, it has been well-supported for years. I use it for FLAC, and lossy formats. Interfaces takes a bit to get used to (double tapping on album image etc) but it is a very solid player.

Also, you've been a huge proponent of the ER4SR so thank you! It was a factor in getting them. The ER4SR is one of my favourites. The isolation alone is essential, and creates a listening experience that is a bit alien. In some ways you are hearing music unfiltered, uninterrupted from your individual ear shape, HRTF, etc. It really is a reference in this regard.

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #14,417 of 19,256
@luisdent Yes, you make a good point. Also, I think our minds adjust to the presentation of headphones. Without spatial DSP, headphones sound very 'hard-panned' to myself, with little 'centre' information. But, I also listen off my phone a lot. I use nPlayer, which is very resource efficient on iPhone (i have an old 6). It has DTS_X, but on the headphone setting and 'traditional' it is very light, and doesn't seem to interfere too much with signal integrity. It is a happy mid-point. Definitely recommend nPlayer if you are on iOS, it has been well-supported for years. I use it for FLAC, and lossy formats. Interfaces takes a bit to get used to (double tapping on album image etc) but it is a very solid player.

Also, you've been a huge proponent of the ER4SR so thank you! It was a factor in getting them. The ER4SR is one of my favourites. The isolation alone is essential, and creates a listening experience that is a bit alien. In some ways you are hearing music unfiltered, uninterrupted from your individual ear shape, HRTF, etc. It really is a reference in this regard.
When I talked about the Ety sounds like Flat speakers, I was referring to Frequency Response and Timbre just. And I think that @luisdent did the same.
But it's a great idea to use DSPs. I don't understand why the manufacturers
I don't understand why manufacturers use it so little.

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #14,418 of 19,256
When I talked about the Ety sounds like Flat speakers, I was referring to Frequency Response and Timbre just. And I think that @luisdent did the same.
But it's a great idea to use DSPs. I don't understand why the manufacturers
I don't understand why manufacturers use it so little.

Indeed.

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #14,420 of 19,256
Because they'll get burnt at the stake by audiophiles.

Unfortunately, most probably only care what the most people will pay for making the most revenue for the company. Audiophile are unfortunately far and few between. Ask 20 people you know what headphones they use and what audio files they listen to. :p it's depressing really.

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #14,421 of 19,256
Unfortunately, most probably only care what the most people will pay for making the most revenue for the company. Audiophile are unfortunately far and few between. Ask 20 people you know what headphones they use and what audio files they listen to. :p it's depressing really.
The answer will be MP3 with biuetooth Sony's,Bose or beats. That's the reality.
Btw I own and love etymotics er3 xr and want to buy something higher end by the brand to use with my tera player. I listen to lots of different genres from metal, classical to hip hop. Is er4 xr the best option?

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #14,422 of 19,256
Well, apparently Beats uses a built in equaliser. But can you imagine if Audize or Grado tried to pull that off? They'd be riots... Of very angry nerds. Middle aged audio nerds. Who get tired after an hour then go home to their magic audio pebbles and oxygen free kryptonite cables.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #14,423 of 19,256
The answer will be MP3 with biuetooth Sony's,Bose or beats. That's the reality.
Btw I own and love etymotics er3 xr and want to buy something higher end by the brand to use with my tera player. I listen to lots of different genres from metal, classical to hip hop. Is er4 xr the best option?

IIRC the only difference is that the er4 series have the drivers hand matched, while the er3 series don't. You are unlikely to hear any difference after a layout of $$$.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #14,424 of 19,256

My answers would all be YouTube videos and stereo earbuds. :tired_face: Beats are considered very 'high-end' where I'm from and very few people have them. My pair of ER4 are like a rare alien artifact or a piece of medical equipment to anyone I show them to.

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #14,425 of 19,256
IIRC the only difference is that the er4 series have the drivers hand matched, while the er3 series don't. You are unlikely to hear any difference after a layout of $$$.
So what is the best etymotic iem for all round listening?

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #14,426 of 19,256
I got my ER2XR today and I really like them. My only problem is that I like to wear them over the ear to reduce the microphonics and occlusion -- but the cable is clearly not meant for this. I was told that some folks on here knew a solution, is that true? Thanks a ton.

EDIT: Folks on Crin's discord gave me a lead, but please let me know if you have any ideas!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #14,427 of 19,256
I got my ER2XR today and I really like them. My only problem is that I like to wear them over the ear to reduce the microphonics and occlusion -- but the cable is clearly not meant for this. I was told that some folks on here knew a solution, is that true? Thanks a ton.

Well, it's just a matter of pilling the cable over your ear, like this...

M2IvQTG.jpg

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #14,428 of 19,256

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back