If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 26, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #12,391 of 19,246
can i ask what everyone is carrying their etys in?

I'm always looking for the smallest possible case. I've actually designed one myself, but not sure how to prototype it yet... for now i use a small red clamshell casw from walgreens. sometimes (previously always) i used altoid tins. but the metal is annoying. i have to line it with paper to avoid noise and scratches.

i saw this in a video and was curious if anyone knew what it was? I'm sure those are er earphones. but this was on an unrelated site. and the video owner said they were someone else's and they don't know what it is. they assumed they came in it. hehe. almost looks too small. i don't want to strain the cables...

I use the semi-soft case that came with the Tennmak Pro.

KIMG1282.JPG
KIMG1283.JPG

I sometimes use a small sphere shaped semi-hard case I got at the dollar store and carry it with my Shanling M0, but that case, while small, is a horrible fit for a pocket.

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #12,393 of 19,246
The ER3s are on sale for USD145 on Massdrop which I think is kind of a steal for brand new.

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #12,395 of 19,246
Have a look at the Radsone ES100 it's got what you need :)

Hmm, thanks for bringing this up--hadn't seen it before; the "ambient mic" function seems as though it would certainly fit the bill. Given that I use an OPPO HA-2 as a portable DAC/AMP, it looks like the other functions would be redundant (or worse, could interfere) if placed inline in a source -> dac/amp -> IEM setup.

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #12,396 of 19,246
Hmm, thanks for bringing this up--hadn't seen it before; the "ambient mic" function seems as though it would certainly fit the bill. Given that I use an OPPO HA-2 as a portable DAC/AMP, it looks like the other functions would be redundant (or worse, could interfere) if placed inline in a source -> dac/amp -> IEM setup.

Any push-to-hear type of devices on the IEM itself will also make the HA-2 redundant since technically push-to-head devices are also an amp on its own and very likely going to reduce SQ.

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #12,398 of 19,246
Nov 26, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #12,399 of 19,246
that's hilarious. i just bought a few tom bihn pouches to go in my tom bihn medium cafe bag.:p ironically not yet padded ones. but they should give me a good size comparison.

it's also ironic because that screenshot was from a tom bihn video
:p

Yay, Tom Bihn bags are awesome, I have several :)
I didn't watch the video, but looking at the screenshot now maybe it's a Q-Kit.
https://www.tombihn.com/products/q-kit?variant=16455318279

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #12,400 of 19,246
I store my ettys in this small $3 case in my backpack. IMG_20181127_160851.jpg

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #12,401 of 19,246
Keep in mind that this little device is a monster when it comes to performance. I have seen many ppl naming the Mojo in the same sentence as the ES100 and that says something I think... Check out the thread over at portable amps and get ready for praise :D

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #12,402 of 19,246
I store my 4sr alternately between pelican 1020 and sony ex1000 case together with ex1000 itself.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #12,403 of 19,246
DSC_0129-922x518.JPG

Just finished making these right angled adapters for someone.

Dec 1, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #12,404 of 19,246
Hey Soundstige,

I'm glad you're excited about the ER3 series. After working on them for a while, I'm pretty excited about getting them out as well.

The new ER3s are intended to build off of the new ER4 series at a more affordable price point. Basically, the same family, but with a different response, less strict channel matching and made in Asia. They still use balanced armatures, precision machined aluminum bodies and detachable cables with MMCX connectors.

Basically, they are meant to be part of a new family of earphones. While the cables on the ER3 and ER4 series are different, they are both functionally interchangeable. This will be a bigger deal in the future when we introduce other cable options. For example, we are going to bring the balanced cable out as an ER4 accessory, but it will work on the ER3. Likewise, we are working on a microphone cable for the ER3 but it will work fine on an ER4 if one was interested in that.

As far as sonics (which is of course, the most important), the ER3SE is a bit more accurate than the HF5. In some ways, it's a middle ground between that and the ER4P, but the 4P had some other advantages (again, matching, etc). The difference this time around is that we've introduced an ER3XR along with it for those that want a bit of a low end kick.

I don't think it's going to make most folks sell their ER4SR/XRs but I think it's cool in it's own right and hope folks dig it. I'm assuming we'll all know soon enough. :)

Hey Dave!

How is the 2,5mm balanced cable coming along? Very eager to drive my Ettys balanced :)

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #12,405 of 19,246
DSC_0143.jpg

Built this last night - 2.5mm balanced plug with 90 degree mmcx connector. Don't really think the official balanced cable is coming anytime soon, if at all. The exchange of Ety's ownership a few months ago probably doesn't help either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back