If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 15, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #11,776 of 19,246
Last Friday was about to buy some triple flanges at Etymotic shop until I realized that PayPal it's not supported...I will have to search for a dealer with international shipping and PayPal. Oh well.

How do you like the Spinfits? (Isolation, comfort, sound, etc.)

Apr 18, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #11,779 of 19,246
Does anyone use Shure olive tips (EABKF1) with the ER4XR?

I like the comfort and isolation but the tip does not completely cover the nozzle. Is that ok?

Apr 22, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #11,780 of 19,246
Word of caution: don't buy Spinfit for the ER4XR. Imo, they make it thin sounding and recess the vocals a bit. Stick with Shure olive tips (best imo, with sound, comfort and isolation considered) or the triple fangles (best sound but awful comfort).

May 1, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #11,781 of 19,246
I agree, the best sound is with the clear triple flanges inserted deeply, but the comfort over time is not that good. The sure olives sit comfortable but I feel like taking out some details leading to a „warmer“ presentation.

May 1, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #11,782 of 19,246
I agree, the best sound is with the clear triple flanges inserted deeply, but the comfort over time is not that good. The sure olives sit comfortable but I feel like taking out some details leading to a „warmer“ presentation.

I gladly take the tradeoff for my ears :)

May 1, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #11,783 of 19,246
On a side note, ER4XR + Shure olive tips = s-tier isolation and good comfort. I was using it while on the busiest subway station in Toronto (Bloor and Yonge) during rush hour and I couldn't hear a thing.

Also, the vocals on the ER4 are beautiful :)

May 1, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #11,785 of 19,246
Well... I've lurked on Head-Fi for months but this post made me finally come out of the woodwork. I ordered some Etymotics (ER-4SR's) on a quasi-whim after getting waves of recommendations from reviews etc and decided to poke around this thread. I started when @EtyDave first announced the ER-4SR/XR line and have been chipping away a handful of pages a day. I'm almost 200 pages in and catching up to this end of the thread slowly but surely while I wait for my new SR's to arrive. I just wanted to say thanks so much for creating such an awesome community! I've been tinkering with headphones/IEM's seriously for only a couple months, and the Ety gang is by far the most awesome group of Head-Fi'ers I've read yet. I learn so much about music and the acoustics side of mechanical engineerings (I'm a civil engineer by profession), and this thread is like my daily dose of fun.

May 1, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #11,786 of 19,246
Well, the ER-4P's that I've had for 10+ years broke. The plastic that the foam/flange piece slots onto (where you put the filter) snapped off. Now I look at what's available and there are so many more options. It looks like the ER-4P/S got replaced with the 4SR/XR. I have no idea what direction I'll go.

May 1, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #11,787 of 19,246
Well, the ER-4P's that I've had for 10+ years broke. The plastic that the foam/flange piece slots onto (where you put the filter) snapped off. Now I look at what's available and there are so many more options. It looks like the ER-4P/S got replaced with the 4SR/XR. I have no idea what direction I'll go.

Though I'm clearly not an expert, I think I can help here a little. From what I've read on this thread, if you get in touch with the folks at Etymotics about the breakage they'll frequently give you a code to get a discount on a new set, and not a small one either. Furthermore, while the new SR/XR line is out and has replaced the P/S line, you can still get the P/S on the Ety website. So you might be good to go if you're looking to get the old ones. The new ones are made of aluminum, so that might help the longevity of the canal tubes if you want longer than 10 years the next time!

May 1, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #11,788 of 19,246

Get the XR!

May 1, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #11,789 of 19,246
I have had the 4P's for over 15 years and I like the 4XR's more--I really think they are an improvement. Etymotic has very good customer service and I am sure they will give you a discount on a new pair of 4XR's. The 4XR's are one of my favorite headphones and I think that if I could only have one pair I would choose them due to their superior isolation and detail.

May 1, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #11,790 of 19,246
Well... I've lurked on Head-Fi for months but this post made me finally come out of the woodwork. I ordered some Etymotics (ER-4SR's) on a quasi-whim after getting waves of recommendations from reviews etc and decided to poke around this thread. I started when @EtyDave first announced the ER-4SR/XR line and have been chipping away a handful of pages a day. I'm almost 200 pages in and catching up to this end of the thread slowly but surely while I wait for my new SR's to arrive. I just wanted to say thanks so much for creating such an awesome community! I've been tinkering with headphones/IEM's seriously for only a couple months, and the Ety gang is by far the most awesome group of Head-Fi'ers I've read yet. I learn so much about music and the acoustics side of mechanical engineerings (I'm a civil engineer by profession), and this thread is like my daily dose of fun.

You will not regret your decision. I did the same thing a long time ago, and I have been very happy with the ER4SR. They're definitely not flashy, but sonically they are excellent, especially at that price point. Also, Etymotic is a good company and I like that they're not shamelessly trying to rip off their customers (unlike a lot of other audio companies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back